Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Surf Music Forum

Pages: 1 39 replies

K
Klas posted on Sun, May 16, 2004 5:44 AM

I find Cowabunga quite hard to read and post on because of the old Yahoo style so I did a Google search for surf music forums and found bombora.net. Check it out if you dig surf music :)

T H E - S U R F I T E S

[ Edited by: Klas on 2004-07-28 04:30 ]

V

Do you know the book : "the illustrated discography of Surf Music" ???
This is a bible with all the surf album and singles from the surf period (1961-1965).
A great book with all the references, label, pictures...

K
Klas posted on Sun, May 16, 2004 3:02 PM

Yes, I know about the book but unfortunately it's out of print and I haven't been able to locate a copy yet. The author John Blair wrote the liner notes for our (Daytonas) first album.

Klas, amazon.com's got it for $45 new in hardcover. No used copies are turning up when I check the usual places.

K
Klas posted on Mon, May 17, 2004 9:01 AM

Yes, it's still listed on Amazon but it also says it's out of print and you can't add it to the shopping cart.

Aloha Klas~

I was wondering...Is this REALLY you and your brother?

Is so, that is way cool! If it's not, then the picture is still way cool!

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-05-25 09:50 ]

K
Klas posted on Wed, May 26, 2004 6:55 AM

Unfortunately, it's not me and my brother on the pic :wink: I've tried to get up on a board when visiting California (Huntington and Newport Beaches) and the Atlantic coast of southern France (Hossegor) but had to give up on that in the end :D I think my record was to halfstand on the board for about 5 seconds and then severly wipeout and hammered to the bottom swallowing a lot of salt water. But I agree, it's a cool pic :)

I located another surf music page. Check out: pandora.be/roland.bettenville/main.html
It has pages on how to play surf guitar and drums. Aloha

K
Klas posted on Wed, Jul 28, 2004 4:36 AM

Just bumping this thread in case someone interested didn't see it.

Bombora Surf Music Forums

T H E - S U R F I T E S

[ Edited by: Klas on 2004-07-28 04:39 ]

Thanks Klas, I missed this post first time around.

I've only got a meagre amount of surf music, some from the 60's and some more modern.

In your opinion what are the classic 'must haves', and who are currently the best surf bands around?

K
Klas posted on Wed, Jul 28, 2004 7:38 AM

On 2004-07-28 05:07, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

In your opinion what are the classic 'must haves', and who are currently the best surf bands around?

Of the 60's stuff some of my favorites are:

Vocal surf: Jan & Dean, Superstocks, Hondells, Surfaris, Trashmen, Rip Chords, Fantastic Baggys.

Instro surf: Dick Dale, New Dimensions, Crossfires, Astronauts, Surfaris, Eddie & The Showmen, Pyramids.

There's also a lot of great surf instro comps and I can for example recommend "Lost Legends of Surf Guitar" (3 volumes on Sundazed).

As for today's bands, I'm not that familiar with the scene but of the 90's stuff I dig bands like Phantom Surfers, Jon & The Nightriders and Bomboras.

Surf's Up! :)

Cheers Klas. I'll look for the recommended 'surf guitars' comp.

Are the Phantom Surfers still going, I have their first 2 LP's?

Klas --

I read your recommendations as to the "greats" ... but did I misread something or were "The Ventures" purposefully left out?

What is your opinion of "The Ventures?"

K
Klas posted on Wed, Jul 28, 2004 9:18 AM

On 2004-07-28 07:45, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

Cheers Klas. I'll look for the recommended 'surf guitars' comp.

Are the Phantom Surfers still going, I have their first 2 LP's?

I'm not sure if the Phantom Surfers are still around. I think they changed some members in the late 90's and then did a new album in a somewhat different style.

As for the "Lost Legends of Surf Guitar" comps I especially recommend volumes 1 and 2 since IMO volume 3 is a little bit weaker.

T H E - S U R F I T E S

[ Edited by: Klas on 2004-07-28 09:21 ]

K
Klas posted on Wed, Jul 28, 2004 9:27 AM

On 2004-07-28 09:07, Satan's Sin wrote:

Klas --

I read your recommendations as to the "greats" ... but did I misread something or were "The Ventures" purposefully left out?

What is your opinion of "The Ventures?"

I think The Ventures are great although not in my top ten. Also I don't see them as a surf band as most of their stuff wasn't really surf music.

My favorite Ventures album is "Live in Japan '65".

Klas --

thanks for the album recommendation -- I love the Ventures but don't have that one and will do some digging --

If your looking for surf music then check out Rhino Records collection entitled "Surf Hits".
Also dont forget the Chantays "pipeline", and the Lively Ones "Surf Rider".

A

Yep, Phantom Surfers are still around, but with members in LA and SF they don't play too often. They have a show with the 5.6.7.8.s in San Francisco 9/20.

-Randy

I just saw the Surfaris, the Torques, and Dick Dale at this surf festival at the American Legion Hall in Newport Beach a couple of weeks ago.

Get this, the whole thing is sold out and I'm bummed because I waited too late to get tickets. They were thirty five bucks each anyway so I was kinda hestitent about the situation. At the same time, I thought, I've gotta see Dick Dale play in my own backyard, especially when he used to live here in Balboa. So I cruise on over there thinking that maybe I can seak in or something. At the very least, hear the music from outside of the place. So I scan the perimeter and the place is locked down with security guards everywhere. My last ditch effort is to go right to the gate and see if they can sell just one more ticket to me. As the ladies at the gate are telling me that the thing is sold out and I can't come in, this guy behind them starts saying, 'Hey beer guy!' to me. I'm kinda confused but playing in to it and he's like, 'You're the guy serving beer at the bar all day, right?' Of course I'm like, 'Yeah, I'm trying to get back in to finally have some beer myself and see the show.' He says, 'Well, come on back in!' Turns out that the yellow shirt that I was wearing at the time was the same color as the voulenteer's shirts for the event. He gives me a wrist band and I go in just as Dick Dale is getting ready to play (I listened to the Surfaris as I was trying to find a way in). So I get in, for free, just as one of my all time guitar heroes is starting up. Dick was there, just he and his son just going off. His son, who is like 14, was actually playing most of the leads (really well) while Dick played rhythm. On the more compicated stuff, Dick would take the lead. After the show, I got to meet Dick and he gave me a signed picture and a guitar pic. Pretty rad situation after I thought that I wasn't even going to get in.

After that whole deal, I watched the Torques do their big surf hit, 'Mr Moto' and a bunch of other surf standards. That day will go down as one of my all-time greatest.

goin to see los straightjackets tonight, cant wait!, for free no less, at an outdoor street fest.....this will be my 10th straightjackets show, never seen a bad one.....got to see dick dale with shadowy men years ago at lounge ax in chicago......great stuff.....need to start diggin out some of the classic surf stuff, anyone got any more obscure recomendations, lets have them!!1......mahalo

Help?

Who did the 60's song, " Goofy Footer Ho-dad?"

Mahalos.

RBB.

A

Boomba, that could've been Shean & Jenkins. Here's a "preview" if you wanna hear their tune.

-Randy

On 2004-08-10 00:44, aquarj wrote:
Boomba, that could've been Shean & Jenkins. Here's a "preview" if you wanna hear their tune.

-Randy

Holy Crap!!! That's it!!!! Classic!!

Thanx RJ

Anyway to get the full song up?? It's very cool.

Was this a 1 hit wonder band??

(is goofy foot left or right, forward?)

MB

Right foot forward is "goofy foot." Didn't we discuss this before we married? Oh geez, you're a ho-dad! How will I keep this from the children??
Longboards for Hukilau!!!!

Lucky!!! SCORE, beer dude!! Dick Dale rocks! Your name suits you. :)
Aloha!

TL

Hey hey,
Just wanted to weigh in on the "SURF MUSIC TIKI" thing. Surf music like lots of other music can and always will be included in the category of "TIKI MUSIC". What could be more natural in the TIKI world? The Ventures, Dick Dale and the Surfaris Ect... In my opinion, for what it's worth, the best instant Tiki Surf Party CD is, SURF PARTY The Best of The SURFARIS Live.By it if you dont have it, go buy it. Then invite a few friends over, mix a few drinks, put on and have a blast.
Hang loose and stay cool.
Tiki Lee

Just got the Surtites CD. Outta sight!!!! This is one platter of cool tunes.

Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aloha

For anybody that wants to discuss surf music,
go to http://www.surfguitar101.com
it is thee place for everything surf.
if in Germany or Europe go to http://www.surfmusic-forum.de/

aloha, and surfs up.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Quite possibly the Father of Surf Guitar.

Jorgen Ingmann ~ Apache (1961)

My kids' teacher just told me about this new book (The Talent Code) -- it's got a lot of great tips on coaching, motivation, practice. Check it out.

Damn you spammer,
that has nothing to do with Surf Music.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

RR

Sunday May 17 HOTEL UTAH Battle of the 12 Surf Bands 2pm - 8pm

Neptunes, El Dorado's, Pyronauts and more

K
KuKu posted on Tue, May 12, 2009 6:18 PM

yea brah, overhead barrels o' bands!!! paddle out & buy cd's...

K
KuKu posted on Tue, May 12, 2009 6:26 PM

On 2004-08-10 21:37, Mrs. B wrote:
Right foot forward is "goofy foot." Didn't we discuss this before we married? Oh geez, you're a ho-dad! How will I keep this from the children??
Longboards for Hukilau!!!!

Lucky!!! SCORE, beer dude!! Dick Dale rocks! Your name suits you. :)
Aloha!

Uh, in the modern world, on the ocean side of the coast hwy, you're known as a "KOOK" as in "beat it kook" and/or "thank you for not surfing here"...

speaking of big surf bashes,
2 weeks before tiki oasis.
I am organizing a big surf music convention.
8 bands and lots O other stuff in the works,
vendors, Jams, surf films, etc.
more info here:
http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7902

On 2007-05-02 14:23, bigtikidude wrote:
For anybody that wants to discuss surf music,
go to http://www.surfguitar101.com
it is thee place for everything surf.
if in Germany or Europe go to http://www.surfmusic-forum.de/

aloha, and surfs up.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

There are thousands of modern surf bands around the world now.

And to add to my old post,
For a 24/7 surf music internet station
Go here:
http://www.northseasurfradio.com

Awesome tune sites, BTD...great music on there! :D
I've always dug surf music, 'though I never considered "connected" with the tiki culture, per se.

Rob

Oh no…. Here we go again…. Haha….

On 2014-09-19 16:17, Luckydesigns wrote:
Oh no…. Here we go again…. Haha….

Lol...yeah, Ive seen those discussions. :)

Rob

Z

Hi,

If you like surf music check this band out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAjJyNz1VmE&feature=youtu.be

Perry

Pages: 1 39 replies