Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Representations of Pele/Fire under water

Pages: 1 3 replies

I am planning a feature for the area outside Castaway Cove in honor of my lovely wife, and I need some help...

Is anyone aware of any historical/primitive representations of Pele that I could use as the basis for a carving/sculpture? I've only seen contemporary paintings depicting her and have wondered if Polynesians ever created effigies of her.

Also, I am going to create a fire/water effect similar to what they do at the Peppermill. Does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing, or am I just going to have to blow shit up until I get it right?

Mahalo!

Tikimaxton

Wouldn't you know I can't find the picture I've seen a hundred times, and you probably have too...It's a 19th century carving, a very basic, faceless figure, standing with knees bent,palms on thighs, and a large "comb" curving up over the head from the back.

Hey TM,
I've been doing a lot of research on the remaining artifacts of Polynesia and Pacific rim cultures and haven't found any representations of Pele to date. The few images that have survived are vaguelly titled as specific gods/godesses. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exhist though. And the originals were created by a human in the first place, based on the stories of the god, so get a Hawaiian mythology book, and go to town with you're own rendition.

OK here's a modernized (..ick) version of the carving I meant. Take off all the facial features and fingers and stuff and it's close.

Pages: 1 3 replies