Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Giving an old wooden bowl a new identity...

Pages: 1 20 replies

I found a vintage wooden bowl, and I thought, "Hmmmm, it's kind of shaped like a Moai..." so I had to go ahead and follow my instincts...

Sweet! I LOVE it!
Great creativity Sam!

B

Amazing what you can see without looking. Years ago someone created that bowl with a Moai in mind and quit before they finished. Sam comes along and says"I'll Finish it, I know what it is supposed to look like"
Walaa Sam has a moai bowl.
Good eye Sam,definately looks like it belongs there.

Excellent job Sam!

That is pretty freaking cool.

Thanks, everyone. It was one of those fun weekend projects. After all, I had two new striping brushes to try out!

I love it! very creative...

Looks great!

Super bad ass.

Super bad ass.

I was going to say....with those clean lines, you MUST be a pinstriper! Awesome stuff!

Damn that is cool! I've got a whole pile of pineapple shaped bowls lying around would you be interested in putting a face to one of them? That is such a wonderful meshing of vintage tiki and Kustom Kulture and I'd love to have one hanging in my bar!

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I'm glad you like it...

Sure, johntiki, I'll stripe anything you have. Look for an email...

http://www.samgambino.com

Really excellent job, Sam. I'm muy impressed.

Sabu

Awesome cool Sam! It almost looks like it could be neon!

Thanks, Sabu, KTD and everyone. Those compliments make me wanna stripe everything (refrigerator, cabinets, mirrors, coffee table, toaster, TV, washer and dryer, toilet seats, etc.) :)

http://www.samgambino.com

Speaking of wooden bowls,
between this post, and miss Cheeky's yard tikis, I might actually be inspired.
Nothing exciting, but I have some teak bowls (like soup bowl size) that I was gonna toss up on ebay, but now I'm thinkin of drillin holes in the bottom to make planters. I fear that they will rot and fall apart though. (Welcome to Wet Seattle...) anyone done this? Or should I just try to go for the "danish modern" cash on ebay?

B

That is one really cool piece!

Thanks, Barnett. You're definitely no slouch yourself. I'm anxious to see more of your stuff!

Sam, I really dig your creativity on that bowl. How/Where did you learn to pinstripe? Very nice.

Thanks for the compliment, Polynesian Pop. I learned from my dad - one of the coolest guys I know. He's been pinstriping in the Detroit area since 1956. Back when he was in high school, his friends would pay him to pinstripe a large star in the center of the lens of their dark sunglasses, then he started doing dashboards, and it snowballed from there.

Pages: 1 20 replies