Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sunset magazine..a tiki carver discovered?

Pages: 1 11 replies

D

This months Sunset magazine has a section dedicated to backyard retreats. Page 155

On a tiki beach in Carlsbad:

Robb Green's passion for the tropics started young. He fell in love with the landscape and culture of Hawaii when he visited the islands as a child with his parents. Now, with the help of landscape designer Greg Vasilieff, he has recreated that atmosphere in his Carlsbad, California, backyard to share with wife Barbara Tuppa and daughter Laura.

Instead of creating a canopy over the entire backyard, as Greg Asbagh did, Green confined his tropical plants to the edges of his property and an island bed near the patio, leaving a section of lawn in the center as a play space for Laura and the family's two dogs.

The perimeter planting of palms and timber bamboo provides a windscreen that keeps temperatures mild at his inland property. "Since these plants grew and filled in, we've never had frost," he says. But the openness of his yard allows for plenty of sun, enabling Green to put more emphasis on flowers. Ginger lily (Hedychium), shell ginger (Alpinia), and spiral ginger (Costus) thrive, as do plumerias and passion vines.

Blah, Blah, Blah..heres the good part...

Tikis, hidden among the foliage and presiding over the yard's own sandy beach, are the finishing touch. Green carved them himself. "With them here, now I can pretend I'm at Pu'uhonua o Honaunau [a national historic park on the Big Island], one of my favorite spots in the world," he says.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-05-17 22:16 ]

I got that. Whata cool backyard. I'm starting to get backyard envy again.

D
Danno posted on Mon, May 17, 2004 8:30 PM

Caught my eye right away while grocery shopping, and picked up a copy. Very nice indeed ~ more great ideas for the backyard!

D
Danno posted on Mon, May 17, 2004 8:30 PM

SEE ABOVE

[ Edited by: Dano on 2004-05-18 10:43 ]

Tiki in Carlsbad, California?!! Reported by a major magazine?!!
And we are the last to hear about it?
The So Cal. T.C. scouts are now officially fired!
We shall commence rehiring So. Cal. T.C. scouts in the next post.
Until then, may tiki find you.

Hey Unga, whadaya expect...when you got Tiki Oasis IV goin' on everything else goes straight to hell! Nobody's minding the store.

Aloha, What month and year is this Sunset Mag? I sped over to my local store picked up a copy got home and on page 155 looked at a lovely article on Lavender in bloom-YUK
The copy I got was May 2004.
Thanks

issue June 2004

Mahalo,Dawntiki I'll be on the lookout for this.

F

sweet- cool idea making a sandy beach..

I love that City of Refuge spot as well- great snorkeling there amongst the tikis..

D

Fatuhiva...with a backyard retreat like yours...your not foolin me, you've got to have more than just one green thumb!

8T

So, I finally found a copy of the June 2004 issue of Sunset and read the article. Looks like a mighty fine carver. Does anyone know this fellow Robb Green from Carlsbad ?
Is he a TC member? Looks like he belongs here!

Pages: 1 11 replies