Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Safeway Tiki

Pages: 1 36 replies

I almost had a heart attack, and DID blurt out a "holy shit" whilst grocery shopping the other day at the safeway by my house.. they are carrying a range of products called "Tiki BBQ" which consists of BBQ utensils with tags that read "TIKI BBQ" Most of them just have handles that are carved to look like bamboo, but the hamburger basket has a real bamboo handle (flat though like bamboo flooring is) with a Tiki woodburned into the handle, AAAND there is a set of cornholders in the yellow plastic that we already know and love, that are ALL little Tiki! it also comes in a little plastic box that says 'Tiki' with a little tiki guy on the front..
I was excited, yet couldn't help being a little sad that it's so mainstream now.. oh well..

A

Wow, they sound great. We'll never get them in the UK.
Would anyone be kind enough to buy one for me and I'll send you the money?

wow! a safeway! haven't had one of those around here in years! I think if I go to Albertsons, I may find them there....I believe they have the same parent company.

coooool!

I'll be checking out my local safeway this evening!

Thanks for the tip Velvet Ruby! :)

Yeah, I saw those on Sunday...

I tried to convince my wahine that I needed the corn-holders, but to no avail.

Overall, though, I don't think your missing out on much if you can't find these items.

-Slacks

Yeah, I saw those on Sunday...

I tried to convince my wahine that I needed the corn-holders, but to no avail.

Overall, though, I don't think your missing out on much if you can't find these items.

-Slacks

Muhahaha!
My kane is away for 3 weeks so I'll be snapping them up if I like 'em!

Safeway side note:
I've been trying to buy some of that Maui Maca Maca Roon ice cream with the tiki on the lid for months now, they're always out of it!

This is the tiki they use stamped on the grilling accessory handles. So nice to know the issue of tiki plagiarism is alive and well in the 21st century. They also come with a tiny flat plastic tiki that would fit on a key chain.

Waikikian Tiki Gardens Walking Tour http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

Ahh! The Kon-Tiki! He's one of my favorites.

*On 2004-05-20 11:31, Slacks Ferret wrote:*I tried to convince my wahine that I needed the corn-holders, but to no avail.-Slacks

listen to her ~ my experience with corn holders are they're fun the first time you use them, and then they become a liability.. gotta rescue them from the trash or garbage disposal. then, they'll roll around in the silverware drawer, puncturing me underneath a fingernail everytime i reach in for a piece of cutlery.. and when i need them for the next corn experience, at least one will be missing. argh.

OUCH!

If I get them, I'll definitely keep them with the tiki collection. Thanks for the warning! Maybe I'll snap the tops off and make earrings out of 'em!

Got the corn holders, 24 little yellow 3-D kon tiki heads. The little case they come in will be handy. I'll just keep them with my collection. I also got the bamboo handled flipper/spatula/lifter, fork thing and brush. They'll make nice replacements for the ones we have now. I'll see if I can post pictures of them this weekend.

Canadian tip:
I also picked up 4 plastic tumblers. 2 look like tiki lelani, the other two look like one of the cheap new designs. They only had blue left. $2.99CAD each at Winners.

8T

There are no longer any Safeways here either. Can someone please post a picture of the corn holders & the box so I can have an image to share with relatives around the country or whomever else I can talk into going out hunting for them?

E

I just repowered my battery, so ok...here's a pic. I got these at Top Foods a few weeks ago. It was the little case that sealed the deal for me.

They also have a BBQ mitt with such famous tikis as the PMP on it. Not sure if a photo of that has been posted or not. I'm such a slave to my digital camera. sigh.

8T

Thanks Exoticat!!
That's a big help and I gotta get them because I am a corn-on-the-cob FREAK!!!!!!!
Definitely one of my all time favorite foods.
Now I just have to find out where these are in my area or if a relative can find them.

Hey 8ft, let me know if you find any around here. I'll be looking too, and I'll drop you a note if I find 'em first!

They carry the whole line at Stater Brothers in So Cal. I found table cloth weights also.

The company that makes them is based in Rancho Cucamonga.

How come you guys on the West Coast get everything? First the damn cool tiki plaques at home depot, now this! I live in Florida, which is the same thing as California, but on the East Coast. We're tropical too! Where's the damn tiki? I could hardly even find those bottles at TJ Maxx either. waaaa waaaa!

K

8 ft. & SilverLine, the KC Star Food Section today has an article on bamboo products that lists the following info the tiki stuff (with photos):

"Bamboo is tiki chic with the new line of Bradshaw International bbq tools. The company does 2 styles of bamboo-handled tools...under the Good Cook brand name & typically carried by Osco Drugs &" (brace yourself) "Walgreens. For information call 800-421-6290."

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:24 ]

C

I called the 1-800# that KC Tiki provided & they are happy to look up the stores in your area that are carrying the Tiki items - they did say that it is mostly grocery stores. But not Albertson's stores (including Jewel/Osco), as they did not buy the Tiki items.

So - after the call, I checked Pick'n Save here in Wisconsin (not related to the CA stores...) & scored the Corn Holders, which are SO cute & a couple table cloths (they are super-thin) - but the ones with the drink recipes are cute. They also had the utensils with the tikis burned into the wooden handle. So - if you are in or near Wisconsin, check out Pick'n Save - probably will want to try the bigger stores, as they are more likely to have room for this stuff.

I did pick-up 3 extra sets, which I am willing to send out to TCers at what I paid + actual shipping cost - send me an email/message if interested.....

Happy Hunting!!
:drink:

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:25 ]

Exoticat - when I saw your pic I wuz jonesin' bad for those tiki corn holders! So I went to my local Von's Supermarket (Safeway affiliate in these parts) today and asked an employee about the possible whereabouts of the tiki cornholders. He took me straight to the foot care section of the medicine isle. I thanked him & proceeded to conduct my own search but no luck. DENIED!!!

S

I found the Corn holders at a Stater Bros. out towards Valencia (Calif.) and a tiki oven mit. (now if I only had a tiki oven). Haven't seen the other stuff.

E

I'm heading out for a week of adventure in Sunriver, OR, pretty soon. I'll be gone for about a week, but when I return if anyone still hasn't scored on some Tiki cornholders I can see if they still have them at Top Foods and pick them up for you. Until then, good luck!

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:29 ]

Shipwreckjoey wrote:
...I went to my local Von's Supermarket (Safeway affiliate in these parts) today and asked an employee about the possible whereabouts of the tiki cornholders. He took me straight to the foot care section of the medicine isle....

That is the frickin' funniest thing I've read all week!

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-05-30 20:59 ]

E

Ok, I stopped off at Top Foods and picked up four of the Tiki Corncob holders. We'll see who still needs them when i return in about a week. Won't be online until then either. You can duke it out during that time, if needed. :wink:

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:33 ]

I just came back from Safeway's tiki supply center and it looks like they replaced the tiki corn holders with the familiar ones shaped like corn cobs. The kicker is they are wrapped in the tiki logo packaging like the other merchandise. I wonder if they're keen to the idea that this group helped sell them out or they think there's been a big run on corn cob holders and had to replace them pronto. Let them gather dust and demand your tiki corn on the cob holder!

If anyone would still like any of the BBQ and/or corn holder stuff, I can pick them up and send them out. $$ or trades accepted :)

T
TNTiki posted on Wed, Jun 9, 2004 2:03 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:36 ]

T

Exoticat or Wahine, anyway one of you would be willing to pick up a set for me, those cornholders are sweet,I could paypal the money to you.

E

I am back and can get the corncobs ready for shipping now. TNT you seem to want them the most desperately :) so email me if you still need them (click on my profile for email addy). That still leaves two sets up for grabs, so email me if you want them!

T
TNTiki posted on Wed, Jun 9, 2004 8:07 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:36 ]

W

A blast from the past.

While shopping at my friendly neighborhood dollar store for an elegant flower to give the classy hostess of a Valentine's Day dinner I will be attending I came across a whole case of these C-O-the-C holders.

I didn't buy any as I rarely use utensils when eating but I figured all of you bargain hunters might like a heads up.

The dollar store is whatever chain has the yellow bags with red letters and Yes! I'm only a dollar! signs on everything.

K

WOw I wonder if they sell them online? Does anyone know?

Pages: 1 36 replies