Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

South Pacific WWII Photos (Warning: Lots o' Boobs! & 4 Balls)

Pages: 1 29 replies

I just got a whole bunch of B&W photos presumably taken by an American G.I. during WWII. Some appear to be in Hawaii, others in Tahiti, & others in PNG or Micronesia.

If anybody has info about location, etc. of any of these photos, I'd be much obliged!

Also, I'm considering parting w/ some of these. Feel free to contact me if any of them interest you.

Enjoy:

Going to a Hukilau?

Talk about Elbow Grease!

Gauguin Model?

"From Here to Eternity" Extras?

Lovely Wahine:

More Wahine!

Sultry Wahine!

More Photos:

I have more photos, if anybody's interested.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-05-20 15:17 ]

Chris,

Great photos. When I see old photos such as these, I always wonder what these folks story was...

It's kinda sad to think that one has to be warned about the presence of boobs. I see a pair in the mirror every day, and it hasn't harmed me yet!

I LOVE the one of the dancing wahine with her hips way out to one side! Beautiful!

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-05-20 12:51 ]

Thanks for posting those great pics.
(Oh ya, and the boobs too).

D

Great Pictures ~ More boobs, please.

Great pics! In a way it kind of saddens me to think of why someones personal photos are sold off - kinda like seeing people's family photos in the $3.00 frames at the Goodwill - sad.

On 2004-05-20 12:41, Dano wrote:
Great Pictures ~ More boobs, please.

L

Thanks for the warning about the boobs, but I really think you should have warned us about the balls.

On 2004-05-20 15:14, limptiki wrote:
Thanks for the warning about the boobs, but I really think you should have warned us about the balls.

done.

D

On 2004-05-20 15:14, limptiki wrote:

ok, thats just too funny coming from someone named "limptiki" :)

thanks for posting the pics. amazing how b&w photos from that time look so crisp..

M

I have to go with Tiki_Bong on that one. It really makes me wonder what the stories behind each photo are. I've gone to several swap meets and often see people selling very old photos.

On 2004-05-20 11:53, tikifish wrote:
It's kinda sad to think that one has to be warned about the presence of boobs. I see a pair in the mirror every day, and it hasn't harmed me yet!

Yeah, and I see 4 balls in my mirror everyday too. (when I cross my eyes) hasn't hurt me either as you can tell by my latest member photo in the GCFM thread. HAHAHAHA

Great find, thanks for posting. And thanks for the subject line... "Lots O Boobs & 4 Balls" should be a drink.

Great photos! It was a different world back then - those guys must have been goggle-eyed seeing such sights! Please show more.

And Tiki Central could always do with a few more boobs plus the odd nut-sack.

Trader Woody

(Warning: Lots o' Boobs! & 4 Balls)

I only count 2.

M

Aloha and Hola, the photographer on the Japanese Hula Honey is Fritz Kraft...he did most of the souvenir type photo packets for the GI's....her name is Esther Sanoda....I used to have quite a few pics of her, once selling at a show in Oahu an old man screamed when he saw the pics on my table and he looked up and said "I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE ESTHER AGAIN!" Turns out he dated her and she is 22 years old in those pics...to much information? maybe but there ya have it.
Mahalo
Mexatiki

Now THAT, Mexatiki, is one of the coolest things I've read on TC in ages! What a wealth of bizarro information we are - thanks for adding the Esther info!

glad y'all like the photos. i too can't help wondering what was going on in the minds of the photographers & their subjects. ultimately, i just think photos like these & the fascination they must have inspired when first scene back on the mainland have a lot to do w/ why tiki bars & polynesian pop took off like it did!

On 2004-05-21 16:57, mexatiki wrote:
Aloha and Hola, the photographer on the Japanese Hula Honey is Fritz Kraft...he did most of the souvenir type photo packets for the GI's....her name is Esther Sanoda....I used to have quite a few pics of her, once selling at a show in Oahu an old man screamed when he saw the pics on my table and he looked up and said "I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE ESTHER AGAIN!" Turns out he dated her and she is 22 years old in those pics...to much information? maybe but there ya have it.
Mahalo
Mexatiki

Mexatiki,

Thank you so much for the incredible info! Wow! You just breathed a bit more life into these photos.

Your post pretty much sums up (in a coconut shell) why Tiki Central is so frickin' AMAZING (which is quite an accomplishment for only your 7th post)!

Cheers,

Tiki Chris
:drink:

M

HEHEHEHE what I did not tell you was that those Hula Honey's got paid 100 bucks for a day of topless photography...Esther liked her Mai Tai's too and she used to dance on tables...

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:27 ]

On 2004-05-20 12:58, johntiki wrote:
Great pics! In a way it kind of saddens me to think of why someones personal photos are sold off - kinda like seeing people's family photos in the $3.00 frames at the Goodwill - sad.

The toughest ones for me are the framed, oftened hand tinted, portraits of soldiers from World War Two that I see from time to time at the flea markets. It kills me to see them staring out forlornly. All that sacrifice forgotten.

Fantastic images. I would love some copies!
I too have an attraction to "Other peoples photo's" I have 3 large vintage scrapbooks, that literally follows a young soldier and his bride from dating, marriage, the war, domestic life, drunken car accident, drawn out recovery......Found them all in the loft of an old garage. Hubby was a portrait photographer, wife was a part time model and worked for Kodak. No kids.......

S

Esther liked her Mai Tai's too and she used to dance on tables...

That explains that impish grin and those mischievious eyes.

Nice photos Chris!

I especially like the 'Hukilau' photo. Look at the waves behind that guy!

Also, the 'Gaugin model' is the definitive photo when I think of Polynesian paradise.

Great work, my friend!

Dad

O

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know much more about Fritz Kraft besides him doing souvenir photos? Did he ever do larger prints? It really is great stuff. There are lots of his post cards on eBay.

Hey! Where'd the boobs go?!?!

M
Murph posted on Tue, Mar 10, 2009 5:41 PM

On 2009-03-10 15:19, Big Kahuna wrote:
Hey! Where'd the boobs go?!?!

Did ya really want to see 68 year old boobs?

Only painted boobs here. B-24 and B-29 nose art from WWII.

Pages: 1 29 replies