Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Rain Lamp Bulb

Pages: 1 9 replies

I just scored one of those rain lamps at Goodwill with the Venus surrounded by those fake aquarium plants (And it was 25% off lamp day). It works like a charm but I wonder if any Beyond The Valley of The Tiki people here have an suggestions for a jazzier light bulb that works with the naked lady? I'm contemplating painting her white and getting a black light but may opted for something a little less drastic.

The Waikikian Tiki Gardens Tour
http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

M

I put a moai in my lamp and took out the freaky women. I've left the bulb an unfrosted white because the reflection in the oil drops looks the most like (duh) rain that way. You could try red, but I suspect it will look a lot like blood. But that may be OK...if you like that soert of thing.

D

I'd put a little hula skirt on the lady-maybe a teeny lei around her neck,too.

Until now I had no idea the oil drops were supposed to look like rain. As a kid I saw those lamps in many chartreuse flocked living rooms of the 70's and could never figure out what was beautiful about drips of oil running down strands of plastic.

as a kid i was at some peoples' house and felt compelled to touch the oil strand thing on such a lamp. got freaking oil all over my hands. damn kid!!!

I'd try a blue bulb.... and if you can't find a clear non-frosted blue bulb, I've had great success using spray glasss tint on low wattage bulbs.... Michael's crafts carries the glass spray paint

I think I'll try a yellow bulb to warm up the room but now dolling up the "Whore of Babylon" is a new can of worms. If only she was posable then we could really have some fun of course putting a tiki there is still an option. This lamp is strange ,it's not one of those common swags you see around, it's made to be set on an end table and has an another lamp built on the top for reading. Realistically I could put yet another colored bulb on it and put a tropical lamp shade on that. As for oil I always blush when I have to buy a quart of mineral oil or "intestinal lubricant" for it at the drug store, and since this is my 4th lamp the guy must think I need more dietary fiber. It would be nice to have an Italian dinner party and substitute olive oil for mineral and have guests dunk French bread in it as it sits as a centerpiece on the table.

On 2004-05-21 12:55, naugatiki wrote:
I think I'll try a yellow bulb to warm up the room but now dolling up the "Whore of Babylon" is a new can of worms.

WHY NOT TRY A FLICKER-FLAME BULB?! YOU JUST CAN'T GET MORE EXOTIC THAN THIS! IT MAY ALSO ADD SOME INTRIGUE TO THE OIL DROPLETS AS THEY MAY APPEAR TO FLASH A WARM ORANGE.

If only she was posable then we could really have some fun of course putting a tiki there is still an option. This lamp is strange ,it's not one of those common swags you see around, it's made to be set on an end table and has an another lamp built on the top for reading. Realistically I could put yet another colored bulb on it and put a tropical lamp shade on that. As for oil I always blush when I have to buy a quart of mineral oil or "intestinal lubricant" for it at the drug store, and since this is my 4th lamp the guy must think I need more dietary fiber. It would be nice to have an Italian dinner party and substitute olive oil for mineral and have guests dunk French bread in it as it sits as a centerpiece on the table.

On 2004-05-20 15:51, naugatiki wrote:
It works like a charm but I wonder if any Beyond The Valley of The Tiki people here have an suggestions for a jazzier light bulb that works with the naked lady?

:)

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-05-23 13:15 ]

i prefer a cherry red bulb - no really... anything too much brighter just spoils the realistic illusion of the rain :)

Pages: 1 9 replies