IN TOWN FOR THE HOLIDAY??
APE IS!!!!

COME ENJOY A NIGHT OF GREAT MUSIC
AND GOOD TIMES

Members of APE host tiki partying
at the PURPLE ORCHID
Saturday Night May 29th
10PM $5 cover

special Guests play our favorite Hawaiian tunes!!
Bring your Uke!

DZ

Well this one's a no brainer...

CA

Mr. Dr,

do you think you could bring your congas??

I could haul mine up fom HB, but who want's to do that....

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2004-05-20 20:36 ]

Bring your uke!?!
what are ya kidding me, I bring the damn little bugger everwhere, hell its sitting next ta me right now.
Never seen a real ape in a bar befor.
Sounds cool, I'm in.

Listen buddy, if it will help I will try to get the Menehunes nice and sauced up on Friday night so that on saturday while jammin' with you, they won't even realize that it isn't Friday night still, and they won't even realize that they are at the Magnificent Purple Orchid...I think it might work. "I call upon the mystic powers of the Mai Tai"

.....man, I love booze................

........................what day is it?.................

CA

Every Day! Brother' cheers

DZ

On 2004-05-20 20:35, crazy al wrote:
Mr. Dr,

do you think you could bring your congas??

I could haul mine up fom HB, but who want's to do that....

No problemo!

Be aware, however, that their experience thus far has been limited to performing privately in hotel rooms - they are not accustomed to performing in public and may be a little shy...

What time do you need 'em?

I think I may be drinking to much because of two things:

The other day I poured a coke into a glass with some ice, took a drink, and thought to myself, "Man this tastes weird without Jack

Also at the bar I always go to there is a little whino who is always there. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, whatever, he is always there. One night as I walked in he saw me and said, "HEY FRED!!!"

(insert pant-hoot here)

WWOO-HHOO! Can't wait! I haven't seen you guys since the doll hut...

APE? As in Gorilla, Monkey etc? I always thought it was prounced 'รค 'pA

Since it's Labor Day weekend, this will be THE show to kick off the Summer. If you saw the Mai Kai Gents featuring the Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa you know what the possibilities are like. Don't miss your big chance to see Ape in LA.

I was just checking out that picture. What did you do with Rindog?

...and Kevin?

H

DANGIT! I feel fortunate to have gotten an APE fix just a few weeks ago, but I'm BUMMED I have to miss this show in my own backyard! Any plans to have more shows down here, guys?

YAY! More APE! More APE! I can't wait. We're bringing a tiki friend of mine from college. She and I used to do the Kon-Tiki in Tucson, AZ every Thursday for like 5 years! She lives in Seatle now and I can't wait to take her to the Purple Orchid to see the show... Counting down until Saturday. See you all there.

CA

Great to hear!

True an ape or two have flown the coop for this gig, but the cozy P.O. will be the perfect setting to see Frank's steeling action up close and to have a friend or two come join us for some familiar tunes

H

You know how much I love you guys? I've cancelled my plans to go out of town this weekend. The thought of missing Tiki Taix & APE was just too much to bear. My APE pimpin' bamboo handbag & I will be there.

CA

all In&Out proceeds go the the missing tikis fund.

CA

CrazyAL TIKI # 68 was born last night!

APE played the WB back lot for their International TV '50's 60's Si-Fi Party'

we had our own tiki bar stage!!

an where invaded by space ships complete with Chimps in space suits

and even Debra Harry was part of the invasion with Blondie!!!!

and we all Ate Guitars!!

Kevin has flown back up north for a wedding... so I'm playing drums instead of chopping.
But my arm with enjoy the rest....

this show will be a Musical treat!! SEE YOU TONIGHT

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2004-05-29 15:12 ]

CA

Thanks to all who made this such a great night!

to name just a few Dave & Rebecca, Floratina and VintageGirl- the night's Ape Swag peddlers, Dr. Z & GiantTikiRobot- Ape's conga crew for some great banging, and of course the Bar Tenders!

Thanks again!

H

MUST! HAVE! MORE! APE!

The show Saturday night was simply sublime. I can always count on Al & the boys to provide me with sufficient jungle rhythms to dance just like the fool I am. Plus, they played Sleepwalk, which made me all swoony. Sleepwalk is my kryptonite. Thank you, Al, Frank, Lane & Mitch!

Here are some pictures:

Lane with some mementos from their WB gig

WeirdUncleTiki (fresh off his yacht), Vintage Girl & TraderPup

I found this incredibly bizarre sweater on eBay months ago. Could there be a more perfect getup for an APE gig? Well, short of an actual gorilla costume... :wink:

The four boys could barely fit on the Purple Orchid's tiny stage.

Vintage Girl leads Al & me through a hula

These prototype APE mugs by Tiki Farm had the whole joint BUZZING. Everyone wanted to know how to get one, so I suspect they're going to sell out quickly when the are available (sometime later this summer maybe?).

Suicide Sam, Tiki Mofo, Trader Pup, Polynesian Pop, Z-girl, Utopian Dreem

Trader Pup, Pi Phi Rho, 2QueerTikis (2QueerTikis & I have discovered that we live about a 1/2 block away from each other!)

Frank & Lane apparently have different approaches to this song

Mitch tries to keep hold of his tiny slip of stage space

Al, thumping

King Kukulele joined APE to sing a song, he sounds awfully nice when he's not busy being a goofball!

Crazy Al carved this tiki at the WB gig

Floratina & Frank share a laugh

Mitch becomes contemplative after APE finishes their show

After APE finished, there was a uke jam with Frank Novicki, WeirdUncleTiki & King Kukulele (who was strangely without his royal regalia)

WeirdUncleTiki & King Kukulele on ukes, GiantRobotTiki on congas, Crazy Al on the crazy coconuts

POP YLOP!

Vintage Girl, Floratina & Tiki Vixen share a laugh (There's always lots of laughing with Floratina!)

It's the FAMOUS Mr. Smiley! But why isn't he smiling?? It must be because he cannot have an APE mug yet.

All the excitement left the King plum tuckered.

The rest of my pictures can be viewed here:
http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/ape/

Thanks again for a great show, you HAVE to come do it again sooner rather than later!

Humuhumu,
What would we ever do without you.
Thanks once again for the pics!
The ape shirt was perfect for that event.

Unga

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:30 ]

Humu - thanks for posting those pics! It seems as though you have become the official photographer for TC events!
I had a great time at the show, both listening to APE and meeting fellow TCer's. I am rather shy by nature, but after a few...I actually got up the nerve to introduce myself to some TCer's I recognized. I spoke with several very nice TCer's, and Dr. Z was kind enough to point out the rest - that was quite a showing of TCer's! I look forward to the next event!

On 2004-05-31 17:25, Polynesiac wrote:
Humu - thanks for posting those pics! It seems as though you have become the official photographer for TC events!

Agreed!

CA

these pics are great!! i forgot my camera and Humu. really stepped up to the plate to do some documenting.. awesome

TB

Had a great time at the APE show, im glad i stayed alittle longer to see WeirdUncleTiki, King Kukulele, & Pop Ylop!

Tbird.

On 2004-05-31 13:07, Humuhumu wrote:

King Kukulele joined APE to sing a song, he sounds awfully nice when he's not busy being a goofball!

You are correct!

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-06-01 12:15 ]

TM1

2queertiki's...

Love that blue aloha shirt!

Where did you find it, may I ask?

Better late than never! I wish I hadn't missed a lot of Ape, but I was so happy just to be there at all!!! and it's not like the music ever really stopped, come to think of it...

(It was rather funny attending a Tiki show dressed for the Magic Castle...erm, I mean the Magic Castle Yacht! :wink: Thanks so much, WeirdUnc!!! I always have the time of my life in that most mysterious and wonderful place...those who've not yet experienced it really ought to do so!)

VintageGirl, Floratina, Humu--it's always a joy to see you gals. When are we going to form an all-girl band?!? A fabulously well-dressed one, of course...

XOX Tikivixen

p.s. I, too, am lusting for the Ape mugs.

Pages: 1 31 replies