Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tacky Tiki at Party City

Pages: 1 1 replies

K
Kono posted on Sat, May 22, 2004 7:40 PM

I know that a few people have mentioned that Party City carries some tiki items but I don't think anyone showed any examples. I went yesterday for the first time and they had a huge amount of tiki/hula/luau related items. Probably 25% of the store was devoted to tiki/hula. The product is generally on the tackier and cheaper side of the tiki tracks but some of you might want to check out the selection. Here are a few pics that I swiped off of ebay auctions:

Tiki Ice Bucket with Tiki Tongs:

Tiki goblets (these are pretty cheesy, but I picked up a couple anyway):

Tiki chip bowl:

Tiki platter:

The tiki platter is the best. They're all made of plastic but the platter is the thickest and sturdiest and is a lot bigger than it looks in the pic. All the tiki items are variations of that basic design.

They also have tiki candles in multiple sizes, plastic tumblers, soup bowls, shot glasses, napkins, napkins with drinks on them (Blue Hawaiian, Mai Tai), tiki paper plates, tiki nut containers (actually a bit on the small size and frankly, quite uncomfortable), cheap plastic tiki mask wall hangers, signage (cheap paper), grass skirts, leis etc etc. Tons of stuff.

They had two different inflatable tikis. One was about 4-5ft high that you blow up. The other was 8ft high and came with a fluffer fan to keep it up. They had bamboo torches with a metal cone round the top that was painted like a tiki face. There was a stuffed tiki that was about 2ft high. His body was like a chubby island chief but he had a tiki head. They had 3ft tall tiki bobble head. Yup, a 3ft tall bobble head. That was pretty cool and I almost bought that but it was $30.

EDIT: Since I ripped the pics from an ebayer, it's only fair that I post a link to that person's auctions: http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=banjohond&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-05-22 19:45 ]

Wow, that party supply manufacturer is sure getting a lot of mileage out of their ONE Tiki design! They started a couple of years ago with Tiki candles and paper products, then a Tiki light chain, and now this!

I wish their choice of colors wouldn't be so god-awful, I could never warm up to those 80s Florida/Caribbean tones.
But those items are hilarious designwise, likely to be collectibles when the Tiki revival-revival hits in 30 years from now.

Pages: 1 1 replies