Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale?

Pages: 1 18 replies

I'm not sure what forum this should go in, but if it needs to be moved, please do so and accept my apologies.

It turns out that my extended family and I will need to spend and extra day in Ft. Lauderdale in November after our cruise ends (yeah, I know rough life!). I did some quick searching on stuff to do there and came up with the Mai Kai show and dinner.

If I was going alone, a trip here would be a definite yes, but as I will be dragging my parents, aunt and uncle, my wife and two kids along, I have to ask if the prices are worth it.

It looks like a cool place but definitely not cheap!

Thanks for any input,

Flange!

B

T-Flange, It is Definately worth it. It will be an experience you will not soon forget. Your whole family will enjoy the show. The Mai-Kai is one of the Best in tiki world.
I lived in Ft.Lauderdale for 30 years and the Mai-Kai was Always The Tiki Place to go and we Never tired of it.
Enjoy.

M

Two for one dinner show special (check days listed) see
http://www.beachbucks.com/mai-kai.htm

also go to http://www.maikai.com
to see their happy hour specials to help save a little money.

Skip the cruise altogether.

There are numerous fun and historical family activities to do in South Florida (beside, the kids may want to do the Orlando amusement parks anyway).

Plan on attending the MaiKai nightly.

Thanks for the info! It's now on the official, "we gotta do this" list.

S

Flange, no one here is being over dramatic. It is beyond any expectations. At the very least, go to the bar and have a drink and walk through the place, but hit the dinner show if you can.

When visiting the Mai Kai, is the show and dinner recommended? Or will a few drinks and a look around suffice?

On 2004-05-28 16:03, sparklegem wrote:
When visiting the Mai Kai, is the show and dinner recommended? Or will a few drinks and a look around suffice?

As Swanky recommends, one must see the show. Hula from around the South Pacific, although an emphasis on the Tahitian (apparently the owner was from Tahiti), costume changes, drums and fire dancing. It is dazzling!

Also, the staff does not necessarily allow guests to wander through the restaurant when the shows are going on as you would need to do in order to see the tikis located outside. I distinctly recall having to que up for a while to wait for the early show to conclude.

Thank you; we will eat the all.

This is a "no brainer." There could not possibly be any family member that wouldn't remember this outing for the rest of their life. I would simply suggest trying to get a table as close to the stage as possible.

B

And please let us know how right on we were. We only want family interviews, Pictures and samples of dinner.
Have fun

K
k'eli posted on Tue, Jun 1, 2004 4:14 PM

The mai kai is great for everyone in your family. It will also keep the kids occupied (depends on their ages - not too young they might get bored). Just plan ahead for the shows so you don't have to wait too long in line - get their early for the first show if possible.

We will try for the early show. Any suggestions of how early to arrive? Are there things to look at while waiting? Is it possible to see the gardens before the show?
Thank you for all the tips!

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jun 1, 2004 9:54 PM

Depends. I'd get there at opening and enjoy Happy Hour, then move on the the dinner show and then tour the gardens after that.

After checking with the airlines, it looks like we will need to attend the 10pm show (on our way into town). The Mai Kai said that they seat for dinner about an hour before the show; we will be able arrive by 8:15pm.

Is it possible to check out the gardens before we are seated for dinner?

Thank you,
Gem

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jun 2, 2004 9:26 PM

Gem,
Ask them when you get there. You will be greated upon arrival and they will ask you if you have dinner reservations, etc. Ask them then about touring the gardens.

Cool, thanks Swanky!

T

When I went last October I had a 6pm dinner reservtion. After the show (WOW! Don't miss it!) my date and I walked around without supervision or restraint. It seemed pretty informal. We walked around the restaurant and looked at the decor, in and amongst tables of dining folks. Nobody seemed to mind or notice. We walked through the garden (even snuck over a "do not cross" rope). No one said anything.

)h, and we were wearing our invisibilty cloaks. (Just kidding).

I only wished that I could have afforded more than a bowl of soup. I was on a college student budget, which meant I put more moeny towards the tiki drinks! (What!? I HAD to get the free mug).

So wander at your will, just don't do it during a show.

TikiCutie

Thank you, Tiki Cutie. I can't wait to go!

Pages: 1 18 replies