Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

new suburbanpagan tiki carvings

Pages: 1 24 replies

working on the my second palm carving

starting my third....nothing like working only with an axe!

in the garden

another shot
these are still being cleaned up a bit and then a nice waterproofing and lacquer treatment to finish!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-05-24 23:51 ]

G
GECKO posted on Tue, May 25, 2004 2:37 AM

JUST A AXE!?!?! I give you props. Thats hard work for just an axe. All you get is da straight cuts. It's time to graduate to some chizles braddah! good job.

S
SES posted on Tue, May 25, 2004 2:57 AM

Lizzie Borden look out!
:wink:

Looking good there. Going to create a tiki fountain like the weeping candle?

B

Yes, Excellent work for just an Axe. You may want to try some Carving Adzes. Same technique, but much more control and detail.
Well done.

K

Very cool SP!

I was going to ask the same question as Gecko. You did that all with an AXE? Wow. Clearly your ability to render in 3d mediums extends beyond soap and resin.

Nice Job

Thanks a lot everybody! Since I'm used to making little knick knacks this is quite a change of pace.....I was joking that I should drill a hole in their heads and run a rope through them and sell them as "Hernia Tiki Necklaces"! Bad idea?
Anyhow, thanks for all of the great advice too! I really should work with some chisels just so my forearms don't end up like Popeye!

T

Hey, nice SP,
Al must have inspired you too! I did my first hatchet tiki the very week after Oasis. I'd never be able to hack away with the beauty that Al has on stage, but at least we can try! Nice work! Just wait till you start on the big stuff!

Thanks Tiki Tony! yeah, I can't wait to get some big timber! We can discuss processes at the Rincon Room! Sound good Ron? Where do you get your wood from?

Nice work! I love the newest one with his tongue...great style too.
Now, try carving one of them candles with yer axe...

to find wood - call your local tree trimmer or "waste"hauler. The more independant the business, the more likely they are to drop off some palm wood at your house - or tell you where they're going to be when they cut down a palm.

good luck! and keep those carvings coming!

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-05-25 14:36 ]

That's a great idea Polynesiac! Very shrewd thinkin'! Thanks for the compliments, too!

M

It's gonna take alot of soap to mold one of those! Nice work bro.

thanks motiki! it can be my "hernia-soap-on-a-rope" to compliment my "hernia necklace"!

sanded and lacquered with optional jewel eyes!

#2 in progress.....layer of lacquer and sanded to hold the fibers together...now to do some refining with a rasp and breakin' out the chisels! I still love my axe!

I told you I love my axe! #3 in very rough stage

Man! there's no stopping you! Keep it up, they're looking really good!

B

I know, someone get this man more logs. More film too

and more blade sharpeners! yikes! these guys are blade killers! I actually broke out the chisels to open up the mouth of my first one.....slowly acquiring more goodies to make them better! Thanks for the encouragement everybody!

repeat

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-06-19 00:49 ]

new guy in the bar to check scale.....burned this guy...love the torch!

He looks like the big bro of that mug that's next to him.

I'm diggin' your style bro...can't wait to see more

Thanks again Polynesiac! Here's an updated one and a new one.....I plan on inserting a smaller sized tiki torch into the top of the moai for outside fun!

B

Lookin good suburbanpagan. We can see where the chisels came in. Palm trees suck up tons of silica or Sand as we know it. That is why your tools get dulled so quickly. Sharpen often.

As always, it's great to get a compliment from Benzart! Your shrunken head is awesome Benz! Never thought of the palm/sand infusion before...makes a lot of sense though. They are blade killers! I have a nice sharpening stone to keep my chisels sharp enough to shave with! If you saw my stubble, you wouldn't be too impressed though!

it's interesting......these two logs came from the same pile......the one on the left is very fibrous and splintery and the moai is very dense and wonderful to chisel. It got me to wondering.....does the trunk get more dense towards the top? It makes sense to me.

Progress!

working the mouth

doubled post

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-06-19 00:50 ]

Pages: 1 24 replies