Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Motel recommendations for Nashville/Smyrna?

Pages: 1 5 replies

Can anyone recommend a hotel or motel in the Nashville area, ideally something with some charactor (i.e. some history or a cool sign, etc.)? Of course, we want it to be cheap too (yeah, we want the moon). We'd thought about the Wig-Wam in KY but don't have the time for the side trip. I know there is a neat vintage clothing store across from Elliston Place Soda Shop; are there any antique stores anyone recommends for people of tiki/googie tastes? Is anyone else from TC going to be at Omni-Hut this Saturday?

S

Katy K's! http://www.katyk.com/?
(okay, they are mostly clothes
but have some gifty goodies!)
or if yer there at the right time...
http://www.tennesseestatefair.org/fleaMARKET/fleamrkt.html
been to that, it's fun.

Have fun!
Pea

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:17 ]

I

Here is something neat I found in Nashville when I was there two months ago.

On the touristy part of Broadway in Nashville, about two stores down from the Ernest Tubb Record Shop, is a store called 'Lawrence Record Shop' .... they specialize in sealed, new, vinyl records.

Way in the back they had lots and lots of vintage souvenir plates, for about $2-3 each. These are the type that feature a collage of cartoon drawings of various tourist locations from within that state. I was told these were original ones - not reproductions. I bought a 'Wisconsin' plate, which featured a Milwaukee Braves baseball player ..... and the Braves moved to Atlanta in 1965, so they're probably at least 40 years old. My guess is that many of them would still be there.

Vern

S

The Soda shop is great, and there are a few shops in the area, but the prices are totally outrageous. Head to Broad and drop in to the Bluegrass Inn. BR-549 is the house band many nights. All the clubs are no cover, but tipping is expected.

I second Katy K's. Great selection of new and vintage with stress on western, but great stuff period.

About 6 years ago I stayed at the Continental Motor Inn, which is near downtown Nashville and has alot of retro character, I think it used to be a Holiday Inn or Howard Johnsons. Cheap too. Flophouse cheap. Desk clerk was behind bulletproof glass and did not take kindly to my request for more towels. Guests are of the trailer dwelling variety. We did not have any problems there, room was actually nice. I have no idea if this place still exists, however. But I was looking for a vibe, and the Continental definately had one.

Pages: 1 5 replies