Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

BIG ISLAND VACATION advice

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

Aloha All...

Me and my girl are vacationing on the Big Island for 7 days June 9 to July 6. We're staying in KONA and I'd love to get some advice as to what to do, good places to eat, things NOT to miss, things to see etc...
I read alot of the posts from a few years ago on this, but I'm asking again, just for more info.
Naturally, any great Tiki Bars, restaurants, sights etc are of special interest, as well as great historical Polynesian places of interest. Love the 50's Americanized Tiki stuff alot as well as the real deal.
Also, great food for low money is key. We're not big drinkers, so bars aren't important, unless they have a great tiki/polynesian vibe.
We'll most likely travel to the east side of the island, so if there are any MUST SEE spots, I'm interested in that too.
We're thinking of flying to another island for the day as well, so if anyone has any tips for cheap flights, please let me know.
Please email me at [email protected] if possible.

Mahalo

L

vacationing on the Big Island
I'd love to get some advice
Love the 50's Americanized Tiki stuff alot

go to California for that.
no such thing on Hawaii. that's not what Hawaii is about.

as well as the real deal.
now yer talking;

King Kam hotel.
respect the integrity of the heiau but do go there and view it. but no touch. kapu.

Puuhonua O honaunau.
Do go to see it and the many ki'i. do NOT enter the confines of the heiau & dont mess with the gates.
reason I say this; have seen people thoughtlessly tampering with it.

Also, great food for low money is key. We're not big drinkers, so bars aren't important, unless they have a great tiki/polynesian vibe.

while you are on the island of Hawaii,. hopefully you will feel the Polynesian vibe wherever you go. If not, sumpin's wrong!

We'll most likely travel to the east side of the island, so if there are any MUST SEE spots, I'm interested in that too.

just hang at Hilo, walk around.

Mid-island, go see mark Blackburn's Mauna kea Gallery.

remember;
yer in a different country;
drive slowly, be friendly, not loud and pushy. be respectful and you will get so much more from your experience.

TC
Z

We have visited Hawaii three times over the last few years and spent each vacation on a different island (Oahu, Maui and the Big Island). Our last trip to the Big Island was our favorite island by far. So many things to do and see, but the don't call it the Big Island for nothing. You will do A LOT of driving if you want to really see the place. We also stayed in Kona, but made several trips over to the Hilo side of the island to see all the sights (you won't find more beautiful tropical gardens anywhere). Enjoy your trip, and as posted above, remember everything on the island moves in aloha time (slow down and relax).

Z

If you find yourself up on northern tip of the island at the base of the Kohala Mountains, stop in the little town of Hawi for lunch or diner at the Bamboo restaurant. We had lunch there and it was the best meal we had on the entire island. It is worth the stop.

http://arcturus.org/bamboorestaurant/

T

I second the recommendation of Bamboo restaurant. The Ono was ono! It was my second favorite meal on the island (1st. was at Kilauea Lodge in the town of Volcano). Be sure and leave time to hike down into the Pololu Valley nearby.

Question along the same lines,

If I were to plan a 4 or 5 day trip for next summer to Hawaii, could someone recomend a travel service that could get us there for a resonable price?

UB

Great news!
Kilauea’s lava flow is now reaching the ocean again.
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/main.html
A must see from a boat at night.
Pele knew you were coming.
Have Fun!

On 2004-06-02 11:36, finkdaddy wrote:

If I were to plan a 4 or 5 day trip for next summer to Hawaii, could someone recomend a travel service that could get us there for a resonable price?

You probably already know this, but Pleasant Hawaiian and AmericanAirlinesvacations are the basics.

You can also call 1-800-GoHawaii - the Hawaii vistor's bureau for leads.

T
thejab posted on Wed, Jun 2, 2004 7:38 PM

Look on AAA web site if you're a member.

T

On 2004-06-01 14:43, lanikai wrote:

vacationing on the Big Island
I'd love to get some advice
Love the 50's Americanized Tiki stuff alot

go to California for that.
no such thing on Hawaii. that's not what Hawaii is about.>>

as well as the real deal.
now yer talking;

King Kam hotel.
respect the integrity of the heiau but do go there and view it. but no touch. kapu.

Puuhonua O honaunau.
Do go to see it and the many ki'i. do NOT enter the confines of the heiau & dont mess with the gates.
reason I say this; have seen people thoughtlessly tampering with it.

while you are on the island of Hawaii,. hopefully you will feel the Polynesian vibe wherever you go. If not, sumpin's wrong!

just hang at Hilo, walk around.

Mid-island, go see mark Blackburn's Mauna kea Gallery.

remember;
yer in a different country;
drive slowly, be friendly, not loud and pushy. be respectful and you will get so much more from your experience.

Thanx. Definitely no disrespect intended about the "Americanized" stuff, and I have no intention of being an Ugly American loudmouth tourist...I've traveled enough to know how annoying that is.I promise I'll be on my best behavior when I'm in your part of the world :)
I guess I just want to see more of the "old Hawaiia" than strip malls and tourist traps, which I heard is the case with places like Waikiki.

Thanx for the info !

JB

L

On 2004-06-02 21:04, tikiyaki wrote:

I guess I just want to see more of the "old Hawaiia" than strip malls and tourist traps, which I heard is the case with places like Waikiki.

waikiki and other parts of hawaii covered in other threads of TC too....
(should have a forum:
what to do and see in Polynesia
or maybe TC does...)

T

I booked my trip though expedia.com. They were the cheapest I found

On 2004-06-02 19:38, thejab wrote:

Look on AAA web site if you're a member.

Pages: 1 12 replies