Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

No threat

Pages: 1 8 replies

Here in the Jet City there's this annual Labor Day weekend music and arts fest called Bumbershoot. Never mind the details. This year they're having a "VIVA POLYNESIA!" section. It sounds largely OK. For one thing Seattle Tiki Carver Edwin Germaine (written 'bout him here before) is gonna be there carving during the day and burning during the night (or so was the plan when I talked to him this past spring). There's scheduled perfomances by a local highschool Tahitian dance group, lei making, the Lagoon Lounge beer garden, and "local eats". But they've also thrown in "bubblenoculars" ("these fun spectacles not only look wacky but blow bubbles too."), a kinetic "Junk Chime" sculpture, "message in a sand bottle" crafting, and "earthquake burgers". This marriage of eclectic wackiness and Tiki seems to be a common Ordinarys approach to Tiki. To me it shows why Tiki is never going to catch on as a mainstream style (which often seems the fear when someone posts here about hula girl pillows at Pottery Barn or kids Tiki t-shirts at Target). The Ordinarys regard Tiki as a goof you do once a year or when vacationing near a Trader Vic's. In their minds there's no difference between a great Tiki bar and Uncle Eddy walking around the Christmas party with a lampshade on his head. The mugs will continue to be ours.

T

On 2002-08-27 23:22, woofmutt wrote:
This marriage of eclectic wackiness and Tiki seems to be a common Ordinarys approach to Tiki. To me it shows why Tiki is never going to catch on as a mainstream style (which often seems the fear when someone posts here about hula girl pillows at Pottery Barn or kids Tiki t-shirts at Target).

Much like having a fondness of Oktoberfest won't result in my wearing dirndl and lederhosen. Well, not in public, anyway... :D

Woof,

When's Bumbershhot? Did I miss it already? I'm all confused these days - unemployment warps my sense of time...

By the way, are you going to the Farm bash?

H

Bumbershoot is this weekend.

On 2002-08-27 23:48, TikiMel wrote:

Much like having a fondness of Oktoberfest won't result in my wearing dirndl and lederhosen. Well, not in public, anyway... :D

OK, here we go off topic again, but hey, what's wrong with dirndls and lederhosen? I plan on wearing my dirndl at this year's Oktoberfest at Alpine Village. And Atomic Cocktail will be right along side me with his tiki-stein. Sven might even attend as well as long as we wait til he returns. Then we can all shunkle together! :D

DZ

This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I'm glad someone else mentioned it first! Just about the only link I can make between Oktoberfest and tiki is: well, Sven is German! (yes, I know that's a stretch, but - hey, I tried!) Anyhow, Oktoberfest at Alpine Village starts next weekend. Anybody want to get a group together to go sometime? It would provide 'something to do' between now and Tiki Farm! If you let me know ahead of time, I can try to get enough free passes for everyone. Perhaps we should communicate 'offline' via e-mail so as not to clog up the forums with non-tiki stuff. Vintage Girl, Atomic Cocktail, anybody else in the South Bay - Z Girl and I would love to meet you there. Let us know!

Maybe we could post on Cherry Capri's new forum when it opens soon. Here's the URL:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2002-08-30 21:27 ]

Bumbershoot began today...I'm not going as all the acts I'd like to see are spread across 4 days and the shows are famoulsy packed. But enough about me...

In the Seattle Times "What the hell is going on around town" inser today they profiled the Tiki Terrace. It mentioned all the stuff I did, but the neat thing was a nice shot of one of Edwin Germaine's Tikis (a little more traditional than his usual style) and the caption beneath the Tiki which said:

"A Tiki terrace wouldn't be complete without scowling Tiki sculptures."

Wow-! A mainstream paper got it right! If you call it Tiki, you should have Tikis!

On 2002-08-30 20:25, vintagegirl wrote:

On 2002-08-27 23:48, TikiMel wrote:

OK, here we go off topic again, but hey, what's wrong with dirndls and lederhosen? Das ist sehr gut, fraulein. Trinken sie eine jagermeister fur mir, bitte. Mahalo!

[ Edited by: SlovakTiki on 2002-09-06 23:35 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies