Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Dr. Jacoby's place in Twin Peaks

Pages: 1 19 replies

S

I rewatched the Twin Peaks series in the last week and Dr. Jacoby's Hawaiian themed pad really was cool. I want that wall switch that changes the music! It's out on DVD now, so you might could rent it somewhere and enjoy it.

T

Waaaayyyyy back in 1998, I wrote on the Tiki Bar Review Pages:

"In 1990, there was exactly one person perpetuating and popularizing the Tiki. It wasn't me, and it wasn't even Otto and the gang over at The Tiki News just yet. It was genious film director, painter, sculptor, photographer,(etc.), David Lynch.

For early episodes of Twin Peaks, Lynch and his Peaks partner Mark Frost concocted Dr. Lawrence Jacoby (Russ Tamblyn), a wacky psychiatrist with a passion for Tiki Bars. Jacoby was fond of flashing the "hang loose" hand sign, and had a huge mural of a Hawaiian seascape on his office wall.
Careful viewers will spot a half dozen Tiki masks and other Tiki objects in his office.

During a first season episode in which James Hurley ( James Marshall) and Donna Hayward (Laura Flynn Boyle) search Jacoby's office, they find such treasures as a machine made to simulate the sound of waves, and a box full of paper cocktail umbrellas. Each umbrella is labeled with the date and location of a signifigant event in Jacoby's life that occurred as each umbrella-garnished drink being was consumed.

The eccentric and even nerdy Jacoby continually longed for his Hawaiian girlfriend, who finally made a cameo during Jacoby's last appearance in the series. The dorky doctor and his gorgeous Hula Babe girlfriend happily jetted off to Hawaii, and out of the series. "

...so, how much does it suck that (because of ownership rights issues) the pilot episode isn't on this DVD boxed set, and also that Artisian has no plans to release the 22 episodes of season 2?

At least you can freeze-frame Jacoby's office with perfect digital clarity now!

S

I have found you can get the pilot and the second season on DVD on Ebay. Not a US release, but it's out there.

I
Iolani posted on Fri, Jun 4, 2004 7:31 AM

Trivia question: What was Dr. Jacoby's girlfriend's name?

S

Eolani

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:33 ]

T

On 2004-06-04 00:12, Swanky wrote:
I have found you can get the pilot and the second season on DVD on Ebay. Not a US release, but it's out there.

Bootlegs (defying Ebays policies) and southeast Asin imports of dubious qulity.

Wow, here's an old thread.

My wife and I started watching the Twin Peaks series again and I freaked when I saw Dr. Jocoby's place! I decided to enlighten all of you, but I should have know this was discussed years ago already. :blush:

Question: Does Laura's murder get solved at the end of the first season, or does it take until the end of the second? I remember that once the murder was solved the plot went nowhere fast. I rented the first season on VHS, so if I can never see the end of the story I don't even want to see the rest of it.

Don't tell my wife, but I still have a huge crush on Audry. :blush:

Just watch "Fire Walk With Me" and all the answers to your questions will be realized - plus, the movie is phenomenal!!

R

The 2nd season is due to finally receive a US DVD release in the Spring.... yay! Possibly in April according to this site here: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6675

Most of the sites they filmed at were in and around Snoqualmie, Washington (except for some sets and the interiors of the Great Northern Hotel). Highly recommend visiting if you're a fan and find yourself anywhere near the area. There are several websites out there with maps and clues to find the various locales.

Was there in 2000, but alas - the diner was closed at that time.

Dreaming of cherry pie,
Rupe

T

Laura's death gets solved in the middle of the second season, about halfway through.

Note that Lynch and Frost originally wanted the murder to NEVER get solved. It was supposed to be an event to kick off bringing all of the characters together, and give the producers a reason to visit this town, its mysteries, its characters, and its intrigues.

But the network (and viewers) pressured them to wrap up the murder mystery story. When Lynch and Frost did wrap it up, they found that they no longer had much to work with, and things got sort of weak towards the end of Season 2 - with the exception of the "Black Lodge" subplot(s).
So, Season 2 is wildly uneven, with some truly amazing stuff, some of the best moments that Lynch ever put to film (Black Lodge in the final episode), some really, really, really embarassing material (Little Nicky subplot, Miss Twin Peaks, etc), and some complete wstes of time (James Hurley's solo adventure outside of town).

The seasons are unbalanced - the first is only 7 episodes, and the second is 22. There are a few double-length episodes and the pilot also.

As mentioned above, Season 2 is FINALLY coming out on DVD in April.

As Kiliki says above, the prequel film ties it all up, but I'd watch it AFTER the end of Season 2, even though it takes place before Season 1, just because there are references to things that happen in Season 2 in the movie that you won't comprehend if you haven't seen Season 2.

Fire Walk with Me is aong my favorite Lynch films, but it doesn't make a lick of sense if you haven't watched all 30 TP episodes. Tat's probably why it tanked at the box office.

Before there were Tiki festivals, I attended a TP festival in Washington with a tour of all the filming sites and chow at the RR Diner. Some of the actors showed up too. Tiki fests are more fun. Better drinks. But we need pie at the next Oasis or Hukilau.

mmm.... pie.....

Oh, and Lynch's new, ultra-experimental, 3-hour long brand new moive INLAND EMPIRE is making the rounds of festivals right now. Watch for it in your local art cinema soon.

W

Regarding Twin peaks. .

There are also some tiki paintings on the wall in the Great Northern.

But, I still want to know:

1. What the heck happened to Agent Desmond in FWWM?

2. What was the significance of the lone stoplight that was observed to change between Red and Green or Yellow to Red?

Wesley Horton

T

On 2007-02-01 22:48, whorton wrote:

1. What the heck happened to Agent Desmond in FWWM?

2. What was the significance of the lone stoplight that was observed to change between Red and Green or Yellow to Red?

1. Black Lodge, via electricity lines.

2. Atmosphere. Not everything has to have a literal 'meaning'.

S

Oddly, the stop light is one of the things I remember the most. A strong image. Perhaps the fact that it was rather incongruous made it memorable.

T

Sometimes, when I get all pissed off at big city living, and the corruption and bullshit and expense that living in Chicago entails, and when I look at the bigger picture, and think about how desperately astray America has gone, I think of moving somewhere else. Like (in the first case), the Bay Area or Portland or Hawaii, perhaps, or (in the second case), to somewhere in Europe or maybe Asia or something.

Then I realize that no matter where you go, there are problems, troubles, and horrible crap. Someplace might seem to be lovely and green and homey, but there's always evil and death and pain there too, coexisting, and you can't escape it. That's part of humanity.

It occurs to me that this might be the point David Lynch was making with Twin Peaks. It is less a detective story than a thesis pointing out that there's no escaping the dark side of life, and even if you go to a paradise, a place where everything seems great, the dark side is there too.

This is also the lesson we have learned with Tiki: there is no paradise on Earth. The Pacific islands of run and romance, of beauty and beauties, of easy living and harmony with nature are just as much of a fantasy idea of perfection as the town of Twin Peaks first appears to be, upon Agent Cooper's arrival there. He think s he's come to paradise, but that all soon changes. The good things that he sees there remain, but he soon discoveres the bad too.

This is why we have Polynesian Pop: to fantaisze, idealize, and pretend that the perfect place does exist, be it an island in the Pacific or a small town in the Pacific northwest (Dr. Jacoby enjoyed both!).

--

DON'T buy TP season 2 on DVD in April - they're releasing Season 1 and 2 together with the (STILL unreleased) Pilot episode in October, with new bonus features. De-Luxe.

C

So I was thinking about twin peaks today and I was reading about on the web a bit. I haven’t seen the show in a very long time but when I watched it many years ago I always found the image of the stoplight to be one of the most captivating symbols of the series. It seems to have garnered its fair share of attention on the web and I thought I might offer up my interpretation. I’ll begin by noting that before David Lynch ever committed a lone stoplight to celluloid the idea intrigued and unsettled me for reasons I could hardly explain. There was just something about the notion of a stoplight continuing to work when nobody was around that always generated some sort of philosophical pause; perhaps something along the lines of if a tree falls in the forest but no one is around to hear it…. Indeed, I always felt Lynch tapped into that aspect of the lone stoplight quite brilliantly to make his point. Now remember I haven’t seen the show in years, but I remember distinctly that every time someone would talk about how Laura tried to signal for help only to be ignored- they would show the stoplight. That is why the image is so potent in the series- the stoplight was, in a sense, Laura Palmer. It always went a little farther for me though. The stoplight seems to capture the human condition in some essential way. Things- functioning properly- letting off signals into empty night. It’s a lonely and unsettling image- it really served its symbolic role well. Let me know if you agree or disagree w/ this theory….
[email protected]

SK

Here is a link to some pictures of Dr. Jacoby's office from the first season I posted on another thread.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28706&forum=1&start=75&76

To bring it full circle, maybe it should be mentioned here that there's a bar in Atlanta with an outdoor area that has a Dr Jacoby/tiki theme.
See the thread here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34261&forum=2

and their website:
http://bookhousepub.com/

For people who live on the West Coast who are still fanatics about Twin Peaks there is this web site:
http://www.intwinpeaks.com/

They list almost all the actual locations, and show you where they are using google maps.
They also have information on how to visit, etc. if the location is open to the public.

For example the real book house from Twin Peaks is at: N 47° 34.037' W 121° 53.229'

For those who are fans of David Lynch in all of his endeavors, he has a new album out called "Crazy Clown Time." Has the same weird ass feel as his films, and I say that as a compliment. Z

Pages: 1 19 replies