Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tiki + snow = ?

Pages: 1 11 replies

does anybody know what effect the Wisconsin winters might have on a tiki carved from palm wood? or if i put up a thatched roof hut in the yard, will the ice and snow destroy it? I'd like to do some landscaping, now that you all have inspired me, and proved to my wife that I'm not completely crazy. But I'm afraid that the winters here might be a huge hassle to whatever I put in.

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

wet palm will rot, thatching will probably discolor and mold. I usually put all my stuff in storage through the winter.

good advice. I guess I'll stick to things that are portable, or at least moveable with a couple of people.

I don't know much about thatch n' stuff (although on most building sites they say that the lifespan of it is MUCH shorter is areas that have extreme temp changes - but chisel slinger would know more about that), however if you put a few coats of Marine grade varnish on your tikis (and continue to do so every few years - like you would a wooden boat) they should (I stress SHOULD) be fine. Just a thought.

B

I'm sure tikis cant stand cold weather.They need Warm sunny days with waterfalls and stuff. their knees knock when it snows.

T

Hey finkdaddy, you might want to pm Lake Surfer. He lives in your neck of the woods, and is an excellent carver. He may have an answer for you.

T

F-Daddy, hey bradduh, check with the lake surfer as stated before HE DAH MAN! And when you get a chance can you check the thread about the WI Tiki event, would love some imput from you.

Here's a pic of my firepit (still unfinnished) in this years ACTUAL snow fall for Texas.

B

Our big Kona Kai tiki has been out in our yard for the past few bitter Chicago winters and does not seem to be any worse than when we put him back there. Of course, he spent the first 30+ years of his life outside in the elements in front of the Kona Kai near O'Hare. I think he's carved from ponderosa pine, I don't think that palm would hold up as well over the years since it is more porous. I'm certainly no expert, but we have another 8 footer from the Kona Kai that is carved from what appears to be palm and he shows his age much more.

boutiki,
That is one of the better "personally owned" tikis I think that I have ever seen!
It must be a rush to look out your window and see that.
Can you post a pick of the other 8 footer?

NYC area got 2 feet..

Its hard to tell but hes winkin at you.

Wonderful Snoai you've got there

Pages: 1 11 replies