Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Food Network Show "Tiki Bar Treats"

Pages: 1 8 replies

Caught most of a show this morning (Saturday May 5, 2004) called "Tiki Bar Treats" on the Food Network's "Food 911". They had a rum collector named Tyler from New Orleans (anyone know him?) No tiki bar or even tikiness in his house but a sh*t-load of rum. He made a Mai Tai according to "The Original Don the Beachcomber Recipes" I always though Trader Vic invented the Ma Tai: Am I wrong?

Anyway, the show will be rebroadcast on June 08, 2004 11:00 AM ET/PT. Here's the link with recipes:

Caught most of a show this morning (Saturday May 5, 2004) called "Tiki Bar Treats" on the Food Network's "Food 911". They had a rum collector named Tyler from New Orleans (anyone know him?) No tiki bar or even tikiness in his house but a sh*t-load of rum. He made a Mai Tai according to "The Original Don the Beachcomber Recipes" I always though Trader Vic invented the Ma Tai: Am I wrong?

Anyway, the show will be rebroadcast on June 08, 2004 11:00 AM ET/PT. Here's the link with recipes:

LINK

Personally, I was underwhelmed by it all but what do I know!

Read Lawgiver 29:6

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-06-05 14:24 ]

Tyler is a Dirty Stinker!

L

On 2004-06-05 14:20, Atomic Cocktail wrote: He made a Mai Tai according to "The Original Don the Beachcomber Recipes" I always though Trader Vic invented the Ma Tai: Am I wrong?

the purported origin and history of the maitai is too apocryphal for this to be such a dogmatic point.

Damn, where's my thesaurus when I need it!

L

On 2004-06-07 12:09, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Damn, where's my thesaurus when I need it!

nemmind dat arready. goin' try fo translate um.
chance um!

da haole bugga who make beeg kine lie about his leg wen get all bus up, tell errybody, da kine got bit off by da mako.
so now, da haole buggah finds da shaka kine tropical drink, geevum one name, bumbay li'dat, make huhu when da oddah buggahs wen tellum:

i wen make um.

but da odda kanakas tell da blalah no mek li dat, we been drinken em befo' you haole crab! get planny li dat long time arready.
so now get planny pilikia errytime we steh talk storeh bout da kine.

Aswhoy Hahd, eh!?

Atomic,

Apparently, although Don Beach himself said Trader Vic invented the drink, recently one of Don's relatives (wife? daughter?) has been disputing that and saying that Don invented it, most recently in a book (This book?)

It's been talked about before here on TC.

TB

Ok Dr. Z, think this guy has more rum than you!

Tbird.

J

This is airing again next Tuesday. Time to set the TiVo :)

AIR TIMES:
September 13, 2005 3:00 PM ET/PT

Tiki Bar Treats
While Steve serves up the Mai Tais, Tyler teaches him to make a veritable pupu platter of Polynesian appropriate palatables: Wild Mushroom Spring Rolls; Grilled Prawns with Salsa; Pineapple Glazed Pork Ribs; and Sticky Honey-Soy Chicken Wings.

This is one of those points that will be argued untill long after were are all dead. I think they are both right.

It is my understanding Don the Beachcomber had a drink at his bar called a "Mai Tai" long before Trader Vic ever could have (in 1933). That drink is the one linked to in Tiki bar treats at the top of this thread.

The drink we have all come to know and love as the "Mai Tai" was invented by Trader Vic. Anyone who says I didn't invent this drink is a dirty stinker. He never said "anyone who says I was not the first tiki bartender to name a drink a "Mai Tai" is a dirty stinker".

Don and Vics Mai Tais are two very different drinks which are each a pleasure to drink. Weather you argue inventor of the name or inventor of this drink we can both be right. Can't we all just get along. As Bill Clinton would have said in a debate like this: It all depends on what your definition of "Mai Tai" is.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2005-09-11 15:34 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies