Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki? No tiki.

Pages: 1 7 replies

We were driving through Centerport when my wife spots a sign that says, "tiki bar in back." We hung a huey to check it out. The restaurant that hung the sign is called The Mill Pond Inn. We gave our keys to the valet, and went in with suspisions. We were directed through the main restaurant to the patio tiki bar. Sure enough we caught a glimpse of tiki torches, and then a bamboo bar with a thatched roof, but no tikis, no tiki drinks, and no music. Just a bunch of Richie Riches talking about their boats and trips to Aspen and shit.

Still, we were there so I ordered a Bass Ale, my wife, a chardonay. The view was nice enough of an inlet from the Long Island sound with swans an geese paddling to shore for the night. The wait staff was nice, and even offered blankets to keep off the chill.

All in all, it was a nice patio bar, but I am still waiting for tiki to make an appearance on the Long Island.

L

On 2004-06-06 09:02, Raffertiki wrote:
a sign that says, "tiki bar in back." a bamboo bar with a thatched roof,

\
well there ya go. to some people, that is "tiki"

T

I think someone needs to send Humuhumu and a couple TC'ers to that joint and shut them down for not being a decent tiki bar, like health inspectors but they would be "Tiki Bar Insepectors"

R

I see and hear this all the time in Key West. People talking about this "Tiki Bar" in some resort hotel or another. My response is always is "Are there any Tikis there?" I know the answer is most likely no as I know of only 2 Tikis on the island in public view (one of which is in front of the defunct Hukilau). But most people don't even know what I am talking about and they'll sometimes actually ask me what is a Tiki. I even decided to bring a Tiki with me for a few days in my cab to at least show the other drivers what a Tiki was. They of course thought I was nuts, shaking a wooden 12 inch Lono at them! :lol: Bamboo and thatch a Tiki Bar does not make, that is merely a nipa hut! :roll: :P

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2004-06-07 08:16 ]

L

most people don't even know what I am talking about and they'll sometimes actually ask me what is a Tiki.

yep. go into a home depot and ask; you got any tikis?! And as you are led to a far acre of the store you realise they are taking you to the tiki torches. And to too many people dass what a tiki is.
haaarrummmph!

I even decided to bring a Tiki with me for a few days in my cab to at least show the other drivers what a Tiki was. They of course thought I was nuts, shaking a wooden 12 inch Lono at them!

showoff!

Bamboo and thatch a Tiki Bar does not make....

maybe they need to be gently edumicated and/or they are trying fo' find da kine arready?!

B

At least in south Fla, if someone sees a thatched hut, it's a Tiki Hut or a Bar with a Thatched roof? its a Tiki Bar.
Actually most thatched huts in Florida are built by the Seminole and Micosukee Indiand and are Really called "Cheekee" huts When the Indian said Cheeke, everyine heard Tiki...
What it a Tiki you ask him" "Some hawiian god thing, we ain't got those here"

R

showoff!

Yeah, that's me! At least I didn't bring a 24" one to shake at them! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On 2004-06-09 07:13, Benzart wrote:
At least in south Fla, if someone sees a thatched hut, it's a Tiki Hut or a Bar with a Thatched roof? its a Tiki Bar.

Actually most thatched huts in Florida are built by the Seminole and Micosukee Indiand and are Really called "Cheekee" huts When the Indian said Cheeke, everyine heard Tiki...

TikiBar's The Tiki Roadtrip discusses this overapplication of the tiki bar title in Soiuth Florida.

Interesting point about those native American tribes - I didn't realize that rule was so widely applied, I had only heard about it in the context of the Fairchild Tropical Gardens.

Pages: 1 7 replies