Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

RIP: Augie Colon

Pages: 1 14 replies

This story wasn't a nice way to start the day, and on the same day Zulu's ashes were scattered at sea. I'll be displaying my black tikis today.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/06/06/news/index11.html

[edited by Hanford to change the subject line]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-06-06 14:49 ]

D

DAMMIT! :(

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:33 ]

A
Artiki posted on Sun, Jun 6, 2004 2:05 PM

Very sad news. RIP.

The birds in heaven are fixing to get lessons! Rest in peace, and a toast to you, Augie...

B

I remember as a kidhearing "Quiet Village" and begging my mom to buy the record and that we didn't even have a record player. The bird calls and animal noiseshave been among my favorites ever since then. He will be missed. Thanks for posting the news Naugatiki.

B

Now that really is tiki sadness.

Thank you Hanford for editing the title of this thread.

Cheers,

KT

well, let's celebrate that he got to do all that great stuff! What a cool legacy...and I'm glad he got to be appreciated during his life and not just remembered afterwards. Now I'm going to freak out my cat with some exotic bird calls!

S

umbrellas at half mast.

T
TNTiki posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2004 8:03 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:26 ]

L

A Hui Hou, Augie!

Was just hangin with his son Lopaka, on Sunday. the show must go on. He was playing his heart out. carrying on his father's legacy.

I have some fabulous video footage of the two of them playing together a year ago. must watch it again and toast da bruddah with a maitai. or four.

Saw it on CNN at noon. It made my grey day even darker....

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2004 9:50 PM

I called Mr.Denny on Saturday and he told me that his good friend was in acoma. May da original bird man rest in peace.

Aloha

MM

This is terrible news indeed...the man was a true musical original and the perfect compliment for Martin's 'exotic' music. People tend to overlook the fact that Augie was a very good percussionist, too.

An acquaintence new to the music of Messers. Denny & Colon recently asked me, "How did they get such good recordings of those birds?" :) The ultimate compliment to Augie's special talent.

[ Edited by: Mau Mau on 2004-06-22 04:54 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies