Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Has anyone been to "Lou & Mickey's " in S.D.?

Pages: 1 1 replies

While checking for Trader Vic's in San Diego info I found this from the San Diego Union Tribune:

It's tough being the first restaurant on the strip near the sprawling San Diego Convention Center. Visitors don't want to stop at the first place they see, especially if it's got some fancy French name over the door. That's how -- voila! -- the former Royale Brasserie became Lou & Mickey's Famous Steaks, Choice Seafood and Exotic Drinks.
The new concept meant a menu overhaul, some flashy new signage on Fifth Avenue, and kitschy, circa-1950 touches like tiki god drink mugs[Italics are mine], red pebble-glass candles and droll, cartoon-print drink napkins with punch lines about getting "nipped" and "soused."

Devotees of Royale Brasserie's tiered "fruits of the sea" feasts -- chilled shrimp, crab, oysters and more -- will be happy to know they're still on the menu and as popular as ever. New favorites include a surf and turf of filet mignon and Alaskan king crab legs and Colorado "double thick" lamb chops. There is also a selection of pasta dinners, sandwiches and appetizers to round out a nice, light meal. And those exotic drinks? They're mainly rum-and-coconut-based concoctions that seemed truly exotic when Trader Vic's opened, but the restaurant has big-league martinis and similar classic cocktails if you'd rather skip the sugar.

Lou & Mickey's is the latest member of the King's Seafood Company family (downtown L.A.'s Water Grill, King's Fish House), so you don't have to worry about quality. Check out the jumbo photo of the real Lou and Mickey just past the raw bar; they are the real-life fathers of founders Jeff and Sam King.

Sigh I guess someone'll have to go down & find out if it's at all Tiki... Any volunteers?

I'm sure there will be more than a few TCers in that vacinity this saturday and no doubt some will be up for extracurricular activities (strictly in the interest of expanding our cultural horizons, of course).

Pages: 1 1 replies