Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mugs from above

Pages: 1 18 replies

I was just unpacking a couple of boxes of mugs stored at my parents house onto a low table this evening, when it struck me that it could be fun to see how many mugs could be identified from above. There are a great many experts out there, but how many can cope with the 'supping' angle?

A couple of notes:
These are literally 'from the box'.I've not arranged them at all.
It's a combination of well-known to rare- (ish).
There's a couple of items there that are not mugs.

Anyway, have fun identifying them. I'll let you know how you're all doing as we go along.

Trader Woody

UB

Well, the first thing that I identify with scares the hell out of me.
THEY'RE ALL FREAKIN EMPTY!!

D

i read the topic and thought "ooh someone finally opened a tiki bar in heaven..and you get souvineer mugs!"... :drink:

T

I agree with Unga, it is like a scene from Sixth Sense, "I see.........EMPTY MUGS" AGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

OK, turn them upside down and I'll start it off.... ah hell, I am the first to say I know the least about mugs.

M

Let's see...

A coconut mug, a few Orchids of Hawaii mugs, a couple FuManChu mugs, a Hula bowl, a couple green tiki Mugs, a monkey mug and a House Industries Tiki-Tshirt container. (and a few other worthless trinkets)

R

:0
Um, there nice.
And they are empty too just like Unga Bunga said.
This is fun...
Um, I don't know mugs.
But this is still fun.
:)

On 2004-06-09 22:29, MauiTiki wrote:
Let's see...

A coconut mug, a few Orchids of Hawaii mugs, a couple FuManChu mugs, a Hula bowl, a couple green tiki Mugs, a monkey mug and a House Industries Tiki-Tshirt container. (and a few other worthless trinkets)

OK, some easy ones out of the way - a coconut mug (Trader Vic's FYI), the Orchids of Hawaii mugs are the Fu Manchu mugs (2) and the 4 green tiki mugs (4), though there is a cheap copy there as well(1). Any idea who made the Hula bowl? The monkey mug is one of the 3 'See no evil' mugs. And well done getting the house industries t-shirt container.

"Worthless trinkets"? I'll have you mate!!!
Outside, now!

Still lots to identify. None of the brown ones have been correctly identified.... Anyone want to have a stab at the rarer ones?

Trader Woody

DZ

Aside from the mugs mentioned, I see a 3-face bucket mug (from where??), a Kahiki (or Kakiki-style) tan moai, a pair of those Malibu rum plasic moais with their logo on the forehead, a Trader Vic's ashtray (TikiFarm repro?), a Treasure Craft mug, and a Butlin's Beachcomber ashtray. The white one in the center could be a Bosko, and is that a South Seas/The Hawaiian black moai-like mug all the way to the right? I'd guess that the bowl is from Trader Dick's (as most small bowls seem to be).

The mug next to the Kahiki is really bugging me... it looks like an Otagiri Hula Girl (Hawaii Kai). It has the hourglass shape, but it looks too wide...

And what is that next to the House Industries canister??

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that table is from Oceanic Arts? :)

On 2004-06-10 21:34, Doctor Z wrote:
Aside from the mugs mentioned, I see a 3-face bucket mug (from where??), a Kahiki (or Kakiki-style) tan moai, a pair of those Malibu rum plasic moais with their logo on the forehead, a Trader Vic's ashtray (TikiFarm repro?), a Treasure Craft mug, and a Butlin's Beachcomber ashtray. The white one in the center could be a Bosko, and is that a South Seas/The Hawaiian black moai-like mug all the way to the right? I'd guess that the bowl is from Trader Dick's (as most small bowls seem to be).

The mug next to the Kahiki is really bugging me... it looks like an Otagiri Hula Girl (Hawaii Kai). It has the hourglass shape, but it looks too wide...
And what is that next to the House Industries canister??

Good work Dr Z! I guess it's pretty much impossible to identify a 3-face bucket mug from above. This one happened to be from Harvey's. The rest are all correct, apart from the fact that there isn't a Bosko on there, and I'm not sure if there's a Treasure Craft! Oh, the bowl is actually.....well, keep trying....

Here are the mugs identified so far:

Still all the really tough ones unidentified, along with a couple of common mugs and one piss-easy mug. Here's a slightly different angle of the ones left:

Trader Woody

On 2004-06-10 22:44, Unga Bunga wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that table is from Oceanic Arts? :)

I wish! Nope, it was from a secondhand furniture warehouse in deepest Oxfordshire, UK. Though perhaps someone went to the effort of shipping it from California many moons ago.

Trader Woody

The one with the swizzles and the one to it's right look like the common warrior Dagas, the one with ashes looks like a kona coffee mug. The cream one just below it looks like a Munktiki, and the brown one in the top left corner could be a dick nugget's moai. Just guessing :)

on the most current photo, i spy:

a harvey's hula bowl, above that possibly a rare three face mug (islander?) which is glazed and skinny, above that a daga warrior from possibly kauai resort hotel, with a twin to the right of it. hmmm...then i spy a tiki leilani (orchids of hawaii...maybe from hawaiian inn?)
the mug in the middle, isnt that treasure craft (it has green sparkly eyes, right?)

as for the rest....not sure. are they old or new mugs?

On 2004-06-15 11:13, Tikiwahine wrote:
The one with the swizzles and the one to it's right look like the common warrior Dagas, the one with ashes looks like a kona coffee mug. The cream one just below it looks like a Munktiki, and the brown one in the top left corner could be a dick nugget's moai. Just guessing :)

Yep, you got the Daga warrior mugs. The one with the 'ashes' (actually a necklace - you tend to lose a little detail using Shutterfly!) is one of those kona coffee mugs - is this the Treasure Craft mug mentioned earler? The other guesses are a little off..... :wink:

Trader Woody

On 2004-06-15 11:32, tikicleen wrote:
on the most current photo, i spy:

a harvey's hula bowl, above that possibly a rare three face mug (islander?) which is glazed and skinny, above that a daga warrior from possibly kauai resort hotel, with a twin to the right of it. hmmm...then i spy a tiki leilani (orchids of hawaii...maybe from hawaiian inn?)
the mug in the middle, isnt that treasure craft (it has green sparkly eyes, right?)

as for the rest....not sure. are they old or new mugs?

The bowl is an Otagiri (deadstock), you got the Daga warriors - indeed both from the Kauai (well done!). Aye, the Leilani is Orchids of Hawaii.

The rest are still to be identified but a hint is that none of them are 'modern mugs' made by Munktiki, Tiki Farm etc, but a couple are still used in Tiki bars....

Trader Woody

OK, after the hundreds of PM's and e-mails asking, nay, demanding to see what the remaining mugs were, here they are:

There are a few weird nick-nacks there too, but it was just what happened to be on the table at the time. I wasn't trying to trick anyone.

Some very expert eyes there, folks. Well done.

Trader Woody

K
Kono posted on Sat, Jul 17, 2004 8:28 PM

On 2004-07-17 09:22, Trader Woody wrote:

Those two in the back there, the girl with tiki mask and the pole, do they have any markings? Very nice pieces.

Kono,

Both of those mugs are Spanish and are/were used in a number of different Tiki bars, so don't have any individual markings.

Yeah, they are nice mugs. Very heavy with a weird glaze that manages to be both shiny and matt at the same time.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 18 replies