Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tattoo Help

Pages: 1 13 replies

Tried searching the forum but didnt see exactly what I need. Was looking for maybe a webpage with some great Tiki pictures, or pictures of tiki tattoos.

Thanks

On 2004-06-08 21:17, RumTiki311 wrote:
Tried searching the forum but didnt see exactly what I need.

Please be more specific of what you need then ... this site is FILLED with photos of tikis, we can't post links to every photo!

And there's plenty of Tiki Tattoo topics, here's a few:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2403&forum=6

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1424&forum=1

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=544&forum=1

~Hanford

thank you much that is what im looking for. just great tiki tattoo ideas

was wondering if there is any great Hula Girl tattoos. I did a search and found one, was wondering if there is more.

T

The best advice I can give you is to do searches through the image setting on both yahoo and google, that is how I found many anazing images of various things, hope this helps.

will do

Im reading a lot of different ways to care for your tattoo after you get it. So far:

1. Allow 2 hrs before removing bandage or let it set overnight if possible

2. Clean area under water with a mild soap using your hand

3. Apply a non scented lotion 7 to 10 times a day to keep the are moist. Some say not to use plain lotion because it breads bacteria. They say use Neosporin.

Which should I use?

[ Edited by: RumTiki311 on 2004-06-09 19:27 ]

T

Do what ever the tattoo artist tells you, speaking form experience, I have 7, go check out your local shops, find one that gives you a great vibe, or if you see someone with a really great tat around where you live ask him who did it. Hang out at a shop and you will learn alot. Take a couple of things in that you like, a tattooist will tell you what he can not or will be able to do, and may make some suggestions for changes to make your piece original, which is what I strongly tell many, make yours yours and not a thousand others.

It's been more than ten years since I got mine, so my memory's fuzzy, but definitely, like Tiki-Toa says, ask your tattoo artist. But I do seem to maybe remember keeping Neosporin on it, which makes sense for keeping it from getting infected. Keeping the area moist I would say generally isn't neccessary--if anything, keeping your skin more moist than is normal inhibits its ability to naturally heal itself, which it's actually pretty good at. I'd say the main concern is infection. Also, I remember keeping the bandage on for a few days, not a few hours. But again, it's been awhile.

Of greater concern is long-term viability--this is something that has to last for the long haul, hopefully with as few touch-ups as possible over the years. The key, apparently, is sun exposure. To this end, I chose a location that isn't exposed to the sun, but if your location is, be prepared to keep sunscreen slathered on it at all times.

I'm no pro--I only have the one tattoo, and as I mentioned I got it quite some time ago so I just don't think about it much any more.

First design
Shag has great Hula girl stickers at Poster Pop.
Sailor Jerry's Hula girl is awesome.
The hard part is finding something with an outline, most tats have an outline to start and stop color.
I took a Shag sticker in with me and just added an outline and changed the colors a bit.
I E-mailed Shag first and he said it was cool.
Now, this again is just my experience.
Sid said "NO blood thinners, no drinking, no Ginko Biloba,no aspirin, basiclly nothing to thin your blood ahead of time.
1st, shave the area to be worked on
2nd, Sid (my tatoo artist)put the sticker on some blue line paper and transfered it to my arm for location approval. That blue line could wash off and be moved if you did not like it.
3rd, follow the blue line with the black outline ink, (needle going in and out 90 degrees to the body part)
4th, add color (3needles going in on a scooping motion)(try to pick stock colors so it can be touched up by anyone)
5th, Sid says "Neosporin fades Tats" he gave me a tube of Tri-Bactin. And now just for a moment let us think of your Tat as a form of road rash. Would you cover it for ten min. or until it heals?
6th, I went straight to the Black Flys retail store and bought a tube of Tat Guard, SPF 35 and "color enhancer"(snake oil?)
Anyway it has been 2 1/2 years and I am not the best at keeping the sun off, but I think mine still looks great.
$150.00 about an hour and one half.
Now the pain part
Just grab that tender part under your arm about 4 inches from your pit, now pinch it as hard as you can and hold it for the duration.
Would I do it again? yes, I think about it all the time (beware Tat fever is real)
Good luck
Sorry this was so short, that is all I could remember!!

On 2004-06-10 07:59, thebaxdog wrote:
Sid said "NO blood thinners, no drinking, no Ginko Biloba,no aspirin, basiclly nothing to thin your blood ahead of time.

My tattoo artist sent me out to eat something before she went to work. You don't want to get a tat when you're stomach's empty.

I was sitting up when she began inking on my ankle because I wanted to watch her work, but I soon started to feel faint and had to lie down. She gave me a couple of lollipops to raise my blood sugar and I started to feel better. By the time she was finished I had quite an endorphin rush!

I got mine 8 years ago, and here's what I remember:

Go original if possible, or alter slightly(unless there is an image you just LOVE and don't care if others have)

Remember, the tattoo artists are not called artists for nothing. If you give them pictures and ideas they can probably come up with something super cool and original for you. Or better yet, draw it yourself! Make sure it's big enough for people to tell what it is, and that over time it won't fade to look like a blob. The cool machines they have can enlarge or shrink it onto the blue carbon paper.

Where I went each artist has a book filled with all of the tattoos they've done, so you can see what their style is like. They should be happy to have you hang around for a few hours and ask questions. I found out ALL about the world of body piercing and got to check out a very detailed book on different locations. Quite interesting.

Steer away from shops that aren't friendly, some seem to prefer that you pick a picture off the wall :roll:

I also started to feel faint at the beginning, a lollypop fixed me right up.

The pain for me was only when the needle was actually touching the skin, as soon as it was lifted away there was no pain at all. For some reason the wider needle used for filling in was less painful than the sharper one used for the outlines.

Here is what a local shop says:

Do not soak in bath for two weeks, showers O.K.
Do not swim in salt or chlorinated water for two weeks.
Do not sun tan or fake and bake for two weeks. (Exposure to Sunlight / UV rays can irritate a healing tattoo. Long term exposure can eventually fade established tattoos that are left unprotected.)
Do not listen to "Tattoo Experts" in bars for two weeks.

one more new one you ya.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6053&forum=7&28

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-06-13 06:04 ]

sweeeet thanks

Pages: 1 13 replies