Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: Trader Vic's Alaska? South Seas Club

Pages: 1 17 replies

M

This is a great menu cover from what looks like Trader Vic's Alaska...it was called the South Seas Club. I now have copies of the front and back menu. Done on card stock...quality is great. TC'ers can have a set for 15 bucks and I will pay shipping...just shoot me an email...check the pics on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6102024454

L

On 2004-06-08 21:21, mexatiki wrote:
This is a great menu cover from what looks like Trader Vic's Alaska...

doesnt even resemble the same artists work as much as a replication of his general style and format.
Many other restaurants having nothing to do with T.V. copied the trader vic's wahine/rum barrell scenes.

hey looka dat:
a bear raping a northwestern totem.
thass sumpin ya dont see often.

M

Well if you hold them up together it sure is close. Mahalo for your kind words.

I'd say a little respect for Mexatiki is in order, he is extremely knowledgable in not only tiki but Hawaiiana in general.

He more than likely has seen quite more than the average TC member.

M

Tiki Bong I thank you very much for your post. I dont know what else to say but thank you!

UB

On 2004-06-09 14:19, mexatiki wrote:
I dont know what else to say but thank you!

He was just workin ya for a free menu. :)

L

On 2004-06-09 11:04, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I'd say a little respect for Mexatiki is in order, he is extremely knowledgable in not only tiki but Hawaiiana in general.

He more than likely has seen quite more than the average TC member.

ahh. but we are not talking "average" perception here...

absolutely no disrespect intended to anyone, especially to the hypersensitive.

...have been collecting T.V .material from the direct source for a decade or so...

I have many artist's proofs of the early and later authentic menus and they exhibit a distinctive style that other artists have emulated.
and this alaska is not among the former group

so solly.

M

lanikai I was not being hypersensitive at all I was simply being humble and giving my percepetion without arguing because I have no need to argue. I am sure your collection is vast and we all cannot have the knowledge you have since you are connected to the source.

Tiki Bong...thanks again...email me your address and your set of menu covers is on the way!

[ Edited by: mexatiki on 2004-06-09 22:22 ]

Hey, what about Unga?!!
It was his stupid joke!

H

I've seen this menu before, and it's one of my favorites. So many of the major restaurants had their menus copied, and I think this is the best, most artistic, and most extreme example. Most of the copies were done by cheapo artists who just traced or did a freehand direct version of the art, or simply cut & pasted in the literal, pre-Windows sense. But this artist ripped off the style and yet made it relevant to the locale, making it all the more bizarre in the process. On top of that, you have a remnant of one of the very few tiki bars in Alaska, a remote tiki outpost if ever there was one.

I had it all backwards -- the best bed is the one that's stumbling distance from Tiki-Ti, or the Mai Kai, or the Lagoon Room, or the Alibi, or the Kon Tiki, or...
Critiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-06-10 01:22 ]

D

hey, mexatiki ~ is there text too, or is this the cover only?

M

Hey, no text at all I have the front and back as if it was closed but nothing in the middle. Would anyone happen to know the artist in question who did do the art on the TV mug?

I agree that the coolest part of this regardless of who did it, is that it was a Tiki Bar in Alaska...Eskimos rubbing noses drinking a Mai Tai...

and DA BEARS....

What I like about that menu are the gals on it. They are just about the sweetest renderings of little brown nubiles I've seen!

Lanikai, since you're an avid TV collector, I'd have to say I have a TV item that you'd be interested in.

It's the original kava bowl owned by John Pagliero, owner of TEPCO, produced as a gift for his wife - Mary Jo Pagiero.

It is the first and one of a kind. On the bottom John signed his and his wife's name and dated it 7/3/42. It's also the one that Mr Vic first saw and approved for production for his restaurants.

Anotone was John's son that took possession of it after John's death. It was eventually sold at the Pagliero estate sale. True it's not a paper menu, but...

On a side note, I enjoy your attempt at pidgin posting. But I think Gecko's got the more authentic market on that schtick!

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - hau'oli la tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2004-06-10 10:03 ]

L

Lanikai, since you're an avid TV collector, I'd have to say I have a TV item that you'd be interested in.

It's the original kava bowl owned by John Pagliero, owner of TEPCO, produced as a gift for his wife - Mary Jo Pagiero.

Dass da bomb!

On a side note, I enjoy your attempt at pidgin posting. But I think Gecko's got the more authentic market on that schtick!

well, it's not an attempt as much as nachurl talk since small keed time. and well , gecko, ya know da buggah's good at most erry ting he does, jes look at his tikis and mugs.

'tho we are not having a pigin contest here... much mahalos for your input!

On 2004-06-10 15:45, lanikai wrote:
tho we are not having a pigin contest here...

PIGIN CONTEST!! PIGIN CONTEST!! :)

L

On 2004-06-11 15:15, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2004-06-10 15:45, lanikai wrote:
tho we are not having a pigin contest here...

PIGIN CONTEST!! PIGIN CONTEST!! :)

toGA! toGA! toGA!

On 2004-06-10 07:54, mexatiki wrote:
Hey, no text at all

dang. besides graphics and such, i really enjoy looking at the price of things "way back when..."

Pages: 1 17 replies