Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tucson Beer & Burger; new neo-tiki bar to open in Tucson

Pages: 1 17 replies

Tucson TCers might want to check out the current issue of Tucson Beer & Burger. I ran into Fini, one of its writers, at Kon Tiki last month and he said they were preparing an article on tiki bars. He just emailed me and reported that the issue with that article is on the streets. He also mentioned that The Hut, a new neo-tiki bar, will be opening August 1. I checked the magazine's website, beerandburger.com, but it is still under construction. I'll encourage Fini to join Tikicentral; he said he'd been to this site before but has not joined. If I remember correctly, I think he designed the current Kon Tiki shirts.

This one has been a mystery to us. We can't find a copy of "Tucson Beer & Burger" or even anyone who's ever heard of it. Haven't seen a thing about this restaurant yet either.

You might ask Louie, the manager at Kon Tiki, where to find Beer & Burger. I was given an issue (not the tiki issue but it had a neat article on where the players drink during spring training) by one of it's writers who was hanging around Kon Tiki that day. The writer callen himself "Fini" and seemed to know more than a passing amount about tiki; he even had a copy of BoT that day and I showed Louie where the Kon Tiki sidewalk tiki came from.
I'll see if I can find my issue to get the publisher info, but if memory serves, it looked like a slick publicity mag for a company that owned lots of bars so its probably a freebie in Tucson bars owned by that corporation. They have a website, http://www.beerandburger.com , but its just a holding page and has not been updated in months.
As to the new bar, I was told it was near the University. I also remember hearing that it was a large hut-like structure being built inside a larger building with no tiki-like features visible from the outside. last I heard from Fini in a June 8 email, it was on schedule to open August 1, so either it died, changed themes, got behind or you'll hear something soon.

Thanks for the info! The University area is one part of town I try not to frequent so that would explain why I haven't seen anything. I'll check around this weekend and see what I can find.
We have yet to meet Louie- he never seems to be there on the nights we show up. I'll keep trying though...

The new place is supposed to be called The Hut and was scheduled to open Aug 1; anyone got a report yet?

I just stopped by the building that will become "The Hut" and there's not much to report. There aren't any ground level windows but I could see the top of what appears to be some sort of hut-like shelter through some high windows (but you have to look past the Corona and Bud Light neon signs to see it). There are piles of old telephone poles that they're cutting down and using to line the entryway. I'll keep checking to see if I can get a look inside. Right now there's not even a hint of tiki....

[ Edited by: tikitucson on 2004-08-19 16:10 ]

*On 2004-08-19 16:02, tikitucson wrote:
I just stopped by the building that will become "The Hut" . . . .and there's not much to report. There are piles of old telephone poles that they're cutting down and using to line the entryway. I'll keep checking to see if I can get a look inside. Right now there's not even a hint of tiki....

The telephone poles sound promising, but will it turn out to be a hut for Smokey the Bear as opposed to a tiki hut?

C

Chongo hopes The Hut opens soon, and with plenty of rum to help Tuscon natives forget what a godforsaken pit they're living in.

On 2004-08-21 17:38, Chongo wrote:
Chongo hopes The Hut opens soon, and with plenty of rum to help Tuscon natives forget what a godforsaken pit they're living in.

Perhaps, with plenty of rum, huge chip on Chongo's shoulder will disappear.

[ Edited by: Bamboo Dude on 2004-08-21 22:00 ]

Hey, Tucson people, is The Hut opened yet? If so, is it anything to bother with?

Any visits to report yet?

I'll be in AZ in a couple weeks and my time in Tucson will be tight. Not that I've asked before, but has anyone seen this place? I'm guessing its a nothing to bother with, does anyone know differently?

I wandered in there a few months ago and you're right, it's nothing to bother with. No tikis in sight, a few cheap decorations, the requisite neon Bud Light sign, etc...
The actual hut structure over the bar is kind of nice but it is really not worth going out of your way to see this place.

Tikitucson, thanks for saving me the time...now, to go to Wishbone Chicken, the Ajo Cafe, Pat's Chile Dogs or Magic Carpet Golf with my non-Kon Tiki time...or maybe just stay at Kon Tiki long enough to get a shot of that lizard?...pleasurable alternatives, all. You've got a great town!

P
pso posted on Sat, Aug 13, 2005 5:53 PM

The Hut is coming along.

We finally got back issues of Tucson Beer and burger online (http://www.beerandburger.com). The October, 2004 issue has a reprint of Fini's tiki story. There are some great photos as well. Download the PDF if you like. Kon Tiki is still Tucson's king (and a current advertiser).

Be well.

Kon Tiki!!!

Well, in the grand tradition of resurecting long-dead threads, I thought I would offer an update on "The Hut".

Fini, who was mentioned earlier, is at least a part owner of the place, and while it doesn't have a large amount of Tiki, it does have a "bosko-esque" carving behind the bar, which is covered by a "hut like" structure, built within the quonset hut. There is a drink called the "Bamboozer", which comes in its own mug (I'll attach a picture later) for $11. Fini designed it himself, and had it made specifically for the bar.

Another treat is that he's put a large portion of his tiki mug collection in two display cases at one end of the bar. Wednesday is half price tropical drink night, which means you can get a scorpion-for-two sized drink called a "fat man" for $6.

The outside has a courtyard area, one end of which is covered in sand, and there are tables and chairs for those that prefer the night breeze.

I like the place, although I wish it had a little more "tiki", it is a low-key (especially during the week) place to hang out and talk. I'm often there a couple Wednesdays a month. Frankly it doesn't even come close to the coolness of Kon Tiki, but it is a place worth visiting none the less.

Chris

Ok, I've uploaded all my pictures to Ooga Mooga. Here's a link to The Hut's Bamboozer mug, which has three pictures posted:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=114&ind_mug_id=6582

Chris

[ Edited by: Kona Chris 2006-06-27 00:21 ]

Pages: 1 17 replies