Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: Tiki - 3 Hand Carved Tiki Figures w/2 Decorative Spear Heads

Pages: 1 11 replies

A
AnDru posted on Wed, Jun 9, 2004 3:23 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3915728582&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

These are ideal for a theatrical or 'concept' atmosphere.
Great site btw.

UB

Welcome to tiki Central AnDru.

M

Welcome AnDru.

When you get a chance tell us a little bit about yourself in the link below:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6&forum=1&904

UB

Would this be African?

M

On 2004-06-09 16:17, Unga Bunga wrote:
Would this be African?

These do look a bit African. Do you know what Pacific island these are from AnDru?

H

The tikis look Marquesan to me, but I'm no expert. Possibly Rarotongan? The spears don't look like a style I've seen before, but they don't look inconsistent with Polynesian styles, either.

A
AnDru posted on Wed, Jun 9, 2004 7:31 PM

Hi All- Wow! Tks for all the great responses. Not African- nor Marquesan - though you are not the first to suggest this.
The origin of these pieces remains a bit of a mystery- in that they were found in the attic of a man who was closing out his business and moving. All he could say was that they had originally been brought back from the Pacific by a former employer of his and they had been left with him. A customer recently suggested they were Tahitian. I have many more and will be adding them to an online store individually and in different sets in the next day or so. I'll be sure to post the information here. Good to meet you everyone.

On 2004-06-09 19:31, AnDru wrote:
A customer recently suggested they were Tahitian.

Then they are Marquesan. Historically speaking, Tahiti never had tikis - Tahitians adopted and started carving the Marquesan style because many years ago, tourists who went to the islands wanted to buy tikis for souvenirs and as such, they responded by adopting the Marquesan style as their own.

These are clearly Marquesan influenced in style. Even if they actually are from Tahiti, they're style is still Marquesan.

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-06-09 19:47 ]

A
AnDru posted on Wed, Jun 9, 2004 7:52 PM

:)))
Many thanks Poly-Pop!

D

the auction closed with no one bidding on it?

will you relist?

A
AnDru posted on Wed, Jun 9, 2004 8:44 PM

Hi DB,
2 sets were available at a fixed price and both were purchased. I have other sets I'm putting together which will include addititional pieces. I'll let everyone know when they are ready.
tks

D

well heck..i was trying to quit ebay cold turkey.. then you show up with your tikistuff..

pretty soon, Hanford's gonna have to add a PayPal button to the profiles...

Pages: 1 11 replies