Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Ray Charles 1930-2004

Pages: 1 14 replies

D

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/10/obit.ray.charles.ap/index.html

Am I the first one here with this kinda news again? I gotta get some real work!

Anyway...Ray Charles...not enough words. A true legend that will be missed.

A definate legend and a truly nice man.
Loved his music.
Take care Ray!

TM1

God Bless Ray charles!

M

We'll miss you Ray. You really made a differance.

God bless.

Damn! As soon as I heard the news at lunch I raced back to work so I - TIKI BONG - could be the first one to post it. Now I'll have to think of something substantive to say.

Poor Ray, I don't think he ever saw it coming...

***** DISCLAIMER - Plese note, I don't deal with death well (especially mine), that's why I take a humorative approach to it. Please don't rat me off. Thank you. I love you. Yours truly, Sir Tiki Bong

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - hau'oli la tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2004-06-10 16:19 ]

C

Goodbye Ray...

What a void this will leave
:music: :(

That sucks. He was so cool.

T

He combined gospel and blues into his own style of music, he was the first R&B artist to play country western music, and he introduced the electric piano to popular music. All which make him a unique legend who's influence was incalculable.

His song "You don't know me" gives me chills every time I hear it.

Ray will always be the King of R&B.

D

loved him in Blues Brothers.. He "sees" a kid trying to run off with an instrument and whips out his gun and fires a warning shot.

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band

play on, Ray...

I

I was fortunate to have seen Ray Cahrles perform live twice in my life - once around 1992, the second in 2001. He was noticably more frail three years ago, and I knew inside that he would not be with us too much longer. He didn't perform as many songs on stage in 2001, but the spirit and emotion he put into those few songs he did sing was amazing.

Of all the famous performers I've seen live, it is Ray Charles and Johnny Cash who stick out the most in my mind -- they were in a category above everyone else.

Vern

I heard the news at work today. I work with people from all over the place. They're from the east coast, gulf coast, west coast, mid-west, Phillipines, India, Great Britain, Canada & Mexico and everyone loved Ray Charles and could tell you you there favorite song(s). What better tribute to such a great musician, songwriter & human being than to be able to bring the joy of song to so many people. Fair winds & following tides Ray...you will be missed.

Back in 1996/1997 I was frequenting Las Vegas about every 5 weeks (for business), and on one of the trips there I was staying at The Tropicana. It was very slow throughout all of Las Vegas, I was there by myself and decided to go down to one of their lounges and enjoy a cigar and martini. While listening to (I forget the band's name) at the lounge directly outside of the entrance to the Folles Bergere at The Tropicana, I see in my peripheral and to my right two gentlemen, one older, one younger and the older one had his arm intertwined in the younger ones arm, and I didn't think much about it. I just figured that it was some older guy and his son/grandson helping him and wanting to sit for a moment and enjoy a cocktail. They quietly found a far off corner table, which just happened to be hidden from any light source and sat. It wasn't hard to find a table since there were only about 20 of us there at the lounge, which could have easily sat 75 or more people. About 10 minutes later I see the younger gentleman get up and hand the lead singer a note right in the middle of their song. I thought "geez, that's kinda rude". Within seconds the lead singer stops the song altogether and huddles quickly with his band. Another few seconds goes by and they get into a quick discussion with the young gentleman who originally handed them the note. Through this brief interruption, of the original 20 people that were in the lounge, about 8/10 people got up and left. The whole momentum of their "set" was thrown off and I myself almost got up and left, but hec, I was alone in Vegas and didn't have anywhere that I really wanted to go, so I stayed put at the bar. Well let me tell you, I'm glad I did! The lead singer gets up and announces that a "special guest" wants to sit in at the piano and sing a few songs....yes, it was Ray Charles! Wooohoo! For exactly 30 minutes Ray belted out his classics and performed as if he was performing for a million people! 15 minutes into his performance, I was amazed that no one else came over to the lounge, and selfishly enough, I DIDN'T CARE! The bartender told me that Ray did that from time to time there. Sort of his 'giving back to the people' and performing and making music because he loved it, not for the money.

Having Ray perform for a dozen people (me included) will always be one of the best (if not THE best) times that I've ever had in Las Vegas.

He will be missed. Thank god for recording technology.

Damn, SCD! Now THAT'S a story! Talk about a once in a lifetime experience.

I've seen Brother Ray live once, & on TV & video a dozen times (not counting those Pepsi commercials he did). I've seen him play Piano, electric piano & organ, and he was a singer, arrainger & bandleader. But I noticed in his Bio that he played Sax as well, in fact that it was his 2nd instrument after piano. Has anyone seen him play sax? He didn't play it when I saw him live, I've never seen video or a picture of him playing sax, I even Googled for an image of him playing sax & found nothing. Can anyone think of a song where he played sax, or have a picture of it? The idea is just tickling at my brain & I can't scratch it myself.

And who can forget Ray as the shrewd (and quick on the draw) music store owner in The Blues Brothers...Classic!

Pages: 1 14 replies