Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Krakatoa / Krakatau

Pages: 1 7 replies

D

Is Krakatoa considered part of polynesia, I think I read somewhere that it's in Indonesia, but if the Javanese head hunters are all apart of the tiki culture / polynesian mystique wouldn't this volcano also be included? Please help me figure this one out. Come on all you smarty pants out there, lil' help?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-06-10 22:51 ]

Krakatoa is in Indo' and as far as I can remember its part of "the ring of fire" which encircles part of the Pacific, hope that provides some sort of connectio for ya.

Krakatoa is East of Java :wink:

(I take it we were watching the same movie last night)

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-06-11 06:03 ]

T

http://indonesia.asinah.net/en/wikipedia/k/kr/krakatoa.html

Check out the link it has a pretty good synopsis of the history.

TT

L

On 2004-06-11 06:02, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Krakatoa is East of Java :wink:

(I take it we were watching the same movie last night)

this is one of the more famous titling faux pas committed in film trivia history, cuz Krakatoa was actually located west of Java. suppose "east" sounds more exotique than 'west" but any film buff worth his margarita salt knows that Krakatoa is actually several hundred miles west of Java....

D

Thanks for the replies, I was trying to figure out if Indonesia is considered part of Polynesia or not. Since it's in the Indian Ocean just leaves me confused. Hmmm, if Krakatoa is in between Java and Sumatra by the maps I have seen it doesn't look like its several hundred miles from Java? But what do I know? I'm just trying to figure out something to name my home bar, I have always liked how Krakatoa sounded, I just want it to be appropriate. Tiki? Or No?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-06-11 19:06 ]

L

On 2004-06-11 18:35, DawnTiki wrote: . Hmmm, if Krakatoa is in between Java and Sumatra by the maps I have seen it doesn't look like its several hundred miles from Java?

well it sure felt like a few hundred last I swam it, but then, I had a few maitais...

I'm just trying to figure out something to name my home bar, I have always liked how Krakatoa sounded, I just want it to be appropriate. Tiki? Or No?

Nes.

I mean

Yo.

GT

It's actually west of Java look at the map, well documented, it's before the B52's song which they copied from a very old school song, when that volcano eruption it was the first major thing in history to be typed around the world! via teletype :morsecode meaning the first world news report!

Pages: 1 7 replies