Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Elvis Tiki Mug Question

Pages: 1 26 replies

I have seen a tiki that has hair like Elvis in a book before but do not have much info on it, where it came from, who made it, how many were made, etc. If anyone can shed some light (and maybe a pic too) I would greatly appreciate it. :)

I beleive this is what you desire...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6970&forum=6&vpost=68287
Aloha,
:tiki:

D

Thank you,thank you very much.

T

That mug is cool,anyone know where I can get my hands on one?

WOW that is great! If there are any out there I gotta have 1 or 12...
Thank ya thank ya very much!!!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:34 ]

M

I know this post is about the Elvitiki mug, but I snapped this picture on our last trip to Hawai'i at Lulu's in Kailua-Kona and wanted to share.

Just to clarify. That Elviki is not a mug, but a plastic figure made by early Tiki artist, psychobilly base player and animator Cindy Crowell from Austin, cast after her cartoon character "Elviki".

She was featured in Tiki News # 12. In T.N. # 13 she had one of my all times favourite cartoons: Two Tikis, one holding up a human shaped mug, the other saying: "A people mug! Haven't seen one of those in years!"

That carving must be her doing too, I wonder what she has been up to lately...

On a Tiki-Bob related note,a tiki bob menu from the fifties,(I believe),just went for $510.00-I almost had a stroke when I saw the winning bid.

T

Found this site. Has a few pics of it. Thanks Big Bro for the clarification. It was manufactured by DSK productions.

wow, I want one, I never knew they exist. Elvis lives

T

We may all have our chance soon.

Tiki-Toa,

What does that mean???

That I know something,but...........I am not sure I can say anything yet.

Oh come on...you're among friends, we won't tell, I promise!!!! Pinky promise!

T

Well..............if you say pinky promise,,,,,,,,,,,,it will be, sorry I am breaking up having technical difficulties......losing power........giving it all she has Cap'n........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargghhhhhhhhhhhh....................bxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

tell us pleeeaaaaaassssssssssssseeeee...

I NEED to buy one, I'm under orders from the girlfriend.

Thank you, thank you very much.

M

On 2004-06-14 10:45, Tiki-Toa wrote:
That I know something,but...........I am not sure I can say anything yet.

How about now?

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:34 ]

T

I thought I would share this story with respect to collecting and it should be in the finds topic but thought I would include here.

So I and my wife having nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon decided to hit a few flea markets around town. After walking through one place we were getting ready to leave and there on a shelf is a mug that shows up every now and then in New Orleans.

I pull it down and it is a mess. Someone decided to convert it into a planter. They drilled a hole in the back bottom. There is some cork around the edge on the inside that was glued. It had a chunk broken off and re-glued. And to top it off the thing had brown painted over its origin. Finally it stunk.

The saleslady offers $5. I tell her no way, it’s a piece of garbage (and an insult to the mug itself). I also did not have any cash on me at the time. So we go out to the car. I look at my wife and I ask her if she as some money on her. She only had $3. I asked for it and tell her that I will send it to Calif and let them put it out of its misery. (I think there is someone that has some kind of ceremony around the destruction of messed up mugs that I read on TC before). The sales lady is on the phone trying to order lunch, I offer her $2 she said fine and I walk out with it.

The mug sits there for a while and I decided to give it a bath and and to try to clean it up. I got this far before I realized what I really had.

No its not in the best condition. I probably put in a total of about 4 hours trying to clean it up. I have been able to remove almost all the of the glue from inside the rim. The paint is off completely. And it shines pretty good. I just tell people that this Tiki Bob represents the later Elvis.

I hope you enjoyed my story.

[ Edited by: tiki410 on 2004-06-17 11:55 ]

T

All I can say is two words. Anymore and I am in fear for what may occur should certain parties find out I spoke out of place.

1.Elviki

2.Hukilau

Aloha,

---I hope you enjoyed my story---

Geez, what a good story! It's still possibe to find em wild! Cripes...

I wonder how many were originally made?

When it rains it pours! Here's another elvis on that online auction site...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3822703142&rd=1

By the way, there's another Tiki Bob Elvis mug on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3822703142&rd=1

Question: I've seen these posted that went for $1000 to $2000. Just how rare are these things?

Thanks

T

Someone wanted to know what I was aware of about the reemergence of Elviki. Simple the guy DAVE KRYS from Chicago is the guy that liscensed the image of Elviki and will be offering them at Hukilau. Me I will never spend my money on one, this is the guy that told me he would be coming to Pa'ina, then got a friend to say he would be coming, then said they would be eating, then without calling before, during, after about why he would not be coming stiffed me for two meals worth $50. So I look forward to seeing Dave Krys for more then his lil plastic Elvis tiki. I am saying this out in the open after being treated much the same as many feel they were treated by Brad @ Hale Tiki, screwed over! And much like those that will no longer support Hale Tiki after being burned I will not lose more money to Dave Krys then I have already. Just one more great reason why I look forward to Hukilau. Well...that is unless of course he decides to no show again.

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-08-29 06:41 ]

On 2004-08-29 06:32, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Someone wanted to know what I was aware of about the reemergence of Elviki. Simple the guy DAVE KRYS from Chicago is the guy that liscensed the image of Elviki and will be offering them at Hukilau. Me I will never spend my money on one, this is the guy that told me he would be coming to Pa'ina, then got a friend to say he would be coming, then said they would be eating, then without calling before, during, after about why he would not be coming stiffed me for two meals worth $50. So I look forward to seeing Dave Krys for more then his lil plastic Elvis tiki. I am saying this out in the open after being treated much the same as many feel they were treated by Brad @ Hale Tiki, screwed over! And much like those that will no longer support Hale Tiki after being burned I will not lose more money to Dave Krys then I have already. Just one more great reason why I look forward to Hukilau. Well...that is unless of course he decides to no show again.

DSK has burnt plenty of bridges here in the Windy City.....he is a real artist at opening mouth and inserting foot...lets just leave it at that!

Please do not forget that Elviki is not Dave's design. It is Cindy Crowell's design. It is HER Elviki, whether or not Dave has the license or not. Or whether she is getting any of the money for her creation or not.

'Nuff said.

T

On 2004-08-29 17:50, Formikahini wrote:
Please do not forget that Elviki is not Dave's design. It is Cindy Crowell's design. It is HER Elviki, whether or not Dave has the license or not. Or whether she is getting any of the money for her creation or not.

'Nuff said.

No. I have not forgot that it was not his idea at all, and in fact I tried my best to find the original stuff that she did with no luck at all because I was very curious to see what it looked like as Cindy created it. I found that she works for a company called Powerhouse in Austin that does animation. I think as the original creater that she really should be the one to benefit from her creation, it is a shame that someone could not contact her to suggest doing a mug that would be in her benefit.

Pages: 1 26 replies