Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

off-topic? new capitol ultra lounge release

Pages: 1 21 replies

D

howdy everyone!
capitol records will release a brand new volume in their ultra lounge series on sept 17th.it will be titled VEGAS BABY! and will be ultra lounge release #25 in the series.it appears that vegas baby! will be relesaed in both regular as well as a special edition,which looks to be along the same lines as the tiki bamboo and leopard fuzz releases.anyway great news for music fans.for track listing and other info head on over to-----

http://www.ultralounge.com/

---------dave from jersey
[Edited by hanford to add "off-topic?" to the subject]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-08-29 23:58 ]

M

Send a few over to Taboo Cove, they could really use some help in the ole music category. I'll pay the postage! Heck, I'd buy the dang cd's for them...if they would play 'em.

I do like that series of cd's.

midnite

T

I would consider that post spam. Although I like the Ultra Lounge series, what does that new release have to do with tiki?! Let's stick to the topic please.

I am glad to hear of this news and I am glad that he posted it! A lot of us like that kind of music, it fits right in.

The next time I'm driving down the road having a nice conversation and my passenger "recommends" some cool new product to me, I'm going to yell SPAM SPAM SPAM!!! and force him out of the moving car.

Hey Jab,

What do you mean 'let's stick to the topic'? The topic WAS 'New Capital Ultra Lounge Release'.

How's this any more tiki related than when everyone whined about their local mom & pop hardware store closing up?

D
davew posted on Thu, Aug 29, 2002 1:48 PM

jab--
i posted that info as an fyi to those on the board who might have an intrest in a new ultra lounge cd.
the connection between tiki culture and the ultra lounge series is a pretty obvious one,im sorry that you have seemed to miss it.
lighten up, youll live longer & swankier
dave from jersey

[ Edited by: davew on 2002-08-29 13:49 ]

T

I knew what you meant by the post.

I'd suggest that any new member avoids recommending a product for their first post as it's just cruising for a beating.

This may be vaguely relevant, but it should go in the 'Collecting Tiki' section.

Trader Woody

T

Tiki_bong wrote:

"How's this any more tiki related than when everyone whined about their local mom & pop hardware store closing up?"

Tiki bars are a part of our recent past that we like and are closing up too, so I thought the hardware store topic was quite relevant.

Hi guys....

Personally I don't think this is that far off-topic, While it's not strickly Tiki it's definitely swank music to play in your Tiki lounge. And the Ultra Lounge has not has a release in years. But to a degree here the majority rules so I changed the subject line to "off-topic".

It shouldn't go in Collectng as it's not a Tiki collectable.

FYI: I'm working on adding a beyond-tiki forum for stuff like this but I want to upgrade the mail capibilites here so people who get it via email (Jab, you're one of them) can turn off the forums they don't want.

So, everyone hang in there a little longer.

Hanford

W

I greatly look forward to a Beyond the Tiki forum. I'm not just gunning for a free drink if I'm in [your town's name here] when I say that Tiki Central peoples are some of the more clever folk I've encountered on the web. I appreciate the heads up on many aspects of pop culture, and there are bits and pieces of pop I've come across which I figured some Tiki Centralites would get a kick out of but I've stayed my fingers for fear of being too off topic. Soon we pop people can post all we like and not worry about ruffling any feathers (feathers of whatever bird you personally might consider acceptably Tiki). Now I'm off to admire my sheet of Andy Warhol stamps. Oops...I didn't meant to post that.

I definitely welcome the news of a new Ultra-lounge release since I own the whole set that's already been released. I was actually surprised to see this considered off-topic since, in fact, the series does include some exotica stuff and I can't think of anything better to play in your home tiki bar whilst sipping your mai tai.

I'm in the pro-Ultra-Lounge camp.

The very first volume of the Ultra-Lounge series, 'Mondo Exotica' is a must have for exotic music lovers. That 1996 release, along with the double CDs that Capital put out for both Martin Denny and Les Baxter turned on many people to the wonders of tiki/exotica land.

The new Vegas release is good news, as I thought the Ultra Lounge series was all finished and completed. Releasing this CD only increases the possibility that even more volumes might still be released .... and perhaps those might pull some obscure exotic tracks from the Capital vaults.

Vern

I don't think the issue is whether the Ultra-Lounge series is any good or not. (I bought Mondo Exotica on Hanford's recommendation and it's excellent, for what it's worth)

The issue is whether we should allow thinly disguised plugs for products in the main forum. There IS a place for such posts in the 'Collecting Tiki' forum and it's called something like 'Marketplace'. Hell, everything Tiki related is 'collectable' these days! Perhaps that Market thread should be upgraded to a proper grown-up forum?

Trader Woody

S

This community is growing. Just take a look at the "Besides tiki..." thread and you'll see that Ultra Lounge is very much a part of the community here.

I too thought they had quit making the series and if they are continuing, that's great. More Bossa Nova and Mondo Exotica is right in line with this group more exactly.

I also look forward to this group having a new forum to discuss our various and similar vintage passions.

Quote from 'Mondo Exotica' liner notes - "This music was as wonderfully bogus as a puu-puu platter, Suzy Wong, or THOR HEYERDAHL"(My emphisis).

Thor?!!!Bogus?!!!?! That's fighting talk around these parts, son.

(Fine tunes, tho')

Trader Woody

I wasn't going to let the cat out of the bag yet... but this post prompted me to do it. And your friendly moderator, Hanford already knows about it

A brand new forum is opening up in about 2 weeks that will be a brother forum to this one. It will be supported in part by contributions from the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee. It will focus on all the things 'retro' and lounge that are not quite on topic for this forum.

The new forum is at http://www.lottaliving.com/bb

You will have to re-register for the new forum, but please use the same username so everyone will know who you are. My cousin Mary-Margaret hosts the forum, so say hello to her there - her username is megamail.

Ultralounge cds, non-tiki events, collecting pop culture things and the preservation of great 1950s and 1960s buildings are all supported at this new forum. And since every page links back to tikicentral, we'll hopefully hip some people to the tiki world, too!

The term SPAM disparages a fine product made here in Austin, Minnesota. The men fighting the Japanese in the Pacific during W.W.II had it in their rations.

Slovak

Tiki and Exotica a clearly a facet of lounge culture, so they are undoubtedly related.

While the Capitol Ultra Lounge compilation "Mondo Exotica" was a fine contribution to the Tiki lounge muzak library, the so-called Tiki Sampler in my mind represents a tragic, missed opportunity to re-publish rare Exotica gems, and a classic example of breaking the "If it says Tiki on it, it should have Tiki in it"-rule.
Such a GREAT cover, but WHERE are there any "Tiki songs" on that CD?

These things are not only missed opportunities, but contribute to the confusion of the public about what Tiki culture is, and to it's dilution.

B

Trader Woody,

Was the guy who originally posted about this Ultra-Lounge release really plugging a Capitol product? I thought he said he was from Jersey? How would this be a part of a corporate plug to collectors of Tiki-related art and ephemera? I think he was just giving the heads up on a release.

Well that may be the case....hence my point that if you are new to the group, posting what could be deemed to be a plug/spam as your very first post isn't particularly wise.

If somebody with a few posts under the belt has posted exactly the same message, it would look a lot more like a friendly pointer than spam.

And even people from Jersey get involved in corporate jobs, right?

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 21 replies