Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tonga Room Mug - so depressed!

Pages: 1 5 replies

TW

I bought this Tonga Room mug off Ebay a few weeks ago and I was really excited about it for more then one reason! One, it was my dad's favorite tiki mug when he was around and two, it's one of my favorite restaurants, and three; it's a Tonga Room Tiki Mug! But when it arrived it was crushed into several different pieces. The shipper did such a lousy job of packing! The mug was kind of unusal. One thing that is a mystery to me is that most of these mugs has Tonga Room Fairmont Hotel written on the side of the mug. This mug had it written on the bottom. I've never seen this before. Has anyone else seen this before?

Time to go somewhere, guzzle some rum, and bury my broken mug pieces. :(

here's a picture:
http://www.ninjettegirl.com/tonga_mug.htm

[ Edited by: tiki woo on 2004-06-13 20:36 ]

DZ

That is the mug that got broken to bits? How did that happen? - these things are practically indestructable! Interesting, however: the only 3-face mug I have (out of many, many, many...) that has any chips or cracks is a Tonga Room mug! (Come to think of it, the only mug I've ever have shatter beyone repair was a different Tonga Room mug... Hmmm...)

Anyhow, as you mentioned the vast majority of 3-face mugs have the names on the side - I have seen pics of some with the name on the bottom, but do not have a single one of them in my collection. Yet.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss, in any case - 'twas truly a fine mug!

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2004-06-13 21:29 ]

oh no! not the tonga room mug! and you were sooooo excited to get it too.

crappy ebay packing has only occurred once in my ebay history. the guy shipped me 4 harveys hula girl mugs and 2 harveys bowls wrapped in.....(get this)....A PLASTIC SAFEWAY BAG.
(at least the zillion ceramic pieces did not spill everywhere since they were in their protective shipping bag)

whatta dolt.

woo~ drink it off at minnie's. now is an appropriate time to drink 'the jerk' (how fitting!) :)

TW

That is actual before picture that I got it off Ebay. Pretty, isn't it! I'll post the sad after pictures later. I really hope I find another just like this! I wrote the person who sold me the mug and they will refund me the money, but I'll have to send Fed the broken pieces if I want the shipping reimbursed. But I'm keeping the broken pieces, there is something wrong about throwing away broken tiki mugs, I just don't know what it is yet. Anyway, they packed the mug in tiny little box and didn't even bother to write FRAGILE on it. Humph.

[ Edited by: Tiki Woo on 2004-06-13 22:22 ]

T

Packing in a small box usually isn't a problem - it's IMPROPERLY packing a small box that's the problem! The mug should be wrapped tightly in bubble wrap so it doesnt move around AT ALL inside the box - should be a snug fit. If the box is too big, the mug can shift in shipping and bounce around in the box.

This has been a public service announcement from PELE - People Eschewing Lacksadaisical Expediting!

The only mug I've ever broken - strike that-my wife has broken is a three-face mug. It broke into a fair number of pieces, but I kept them all in a bag, and when I had a little time, I glued them back together:

The cracks are obvious and it will sadly never feel the splash of rum, ice cubes, and juices, but it's better than just chucking it in the bin.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 5 replies