Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Question for carvers...

Pages: 1 22 replies

C

Hello I'm a newbie here, so I hope this isnt a stupid question. I want to try my hand at carving. I was a painter and musician, before becoming a full time chef. So, I dont have as much time for art as I would like! The only carving I have done is ice carving :wink:
Anyway there is a huge red cedar log, about 6 ft. long out in the yard. It's been there nearly 5 years,(just been plantin' flowers around it)

Would red cedar be terrible to carve?

Does it splinter too much?

Have you carved any Tiki Ice Sculpures? That would be something I'd like to see pictures of.

What tools do you use for Ice Sculpures? I'd assume a chainsaw for roughing out large pieces then chisels, gouges & an ice pick for the finer details. These're the same tools used by most of the carvers on this board (less the ice pick, though). You'd just have to add sanding, burning, & staining/varnishing to your skills, and I'd think they're the least important of the needed skills. I think being able to choose a good design, lay it out, rough it out & add details are much more important.

C

On 2004-06-14 09:15, freddiefreelance wrote:
Have you carved any Tiki Ice Sculpures? That would be something I'd like to see pictures of.

What tools do you use for Ice Sculpures? I'd assume a chainsaw for roughing out large pieces then chisels, gouges & an ice pick for the finer details. These're the same tools used by most of the carvers on this board (less the ice pick, though). You'd just have to add sanding, burning, & staining/varnishing to your skills, and I'd think they're the least important of the needed skills. I think being able to choose a good design, lay it out, rough it out & add details are much more important.

Never carved any tiki ice, although, I would love to try it. I've carved mostly animals and grecian pillars, birdbaths, etc.

The tools I use are probably not the best.
I use a large macheti type knife for the rough work, smaller knives and a dremel for detail.

M

ChefMike
Good luck on moving up to full size tiki wood carving. I just finished my first "tiki" carving attempt on a very small scale. I used poles from a closet, cut them into 8" and 14" pieces and carved little tikis into them with my Dremel. They came out very cool, but it gave me the itch to try the full size thing. My only problem is, I live in a small apartment with no outside area where I can carve. Good luck and be sure to post your creations when you're done!

Cedar is soft but fairly fibrous and tends to split. Sharp tools should help. If you do get a tiki out of your log it should smell great! Good luck.

Yup, the key with ceder is sharp implements (well, with any wood for that matter...)

Knives are fine for your first carving, but once you start you'll want to go get some chisels. If you've carved ice and enjoy it, I'm sure you'll get the itch for tiki wood carving too.

check out this recent thread for other tool ideas:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9406&forum=7&11
The dremel is worth it's weight in gold for detail and small carvings. That's (basically)all you need if you want to practice on some small carvings first. Good luck and get out there and start carving!

I think the difference with ice carving is the speed in which you have to carve. The one aspect of ice carving that I dislike.

I tried once to do an elaborate carving in a walk-in freezer. I thought I was gonna die! Plus I had all these ice chips and snow sticking to me.

I think I will prefer wood.

Oh...and thank you all for your quick responses

B

Chefmike, I would dig right into that Cedar log It probably is in great shape as it is very durable wood. I would just use the tools you have and see how they work out. Add more tools if needed and take lots of pictures during the whole thing.
Most of all be careful and have fun.

Hey guys,
What about redwood?

B

Redwood is Great carving wood. Nasty to grind and i little chippy with fine detail so take care and you will enjoy it.

Hey guys,
What about redwood?

Unga - the secret with redwood is VERY sharp tools and it's best just to use chisels/knives etc (chainsaws are fine too for large pieces, but they'll require some sanding to smooth things out. if you just use sharp chisels, there is very little sanding that you need to do). When the tools are sharp, the detail is sharp. When the tools are dull, it flakes like crazy. You'll also know when your tools start to get dull with redwood as the wood will flake sleightly. I actually really enjoy redwood, and you should be able to find it washed up on the beach in your area, no?

cedar is actually really good to carve with hand or power tools. it cleans up real nice also. as far as carving ice, try to stay away from power (i.e. anything that plugs in). but a chainsaw will be your best friend in carving large blocks. think outside the box for tools. wood and cold chisels work good. so do cheese graters(a chef should have plenty of these), files and rasps, axes, etc. and a good handheld propane torch for polishing.

Yo Chef,

It's great to see postings from local TC'rs. I'm from Springfield and briefly lived in the Springs.

If I were you, I'd head down to Lowe's and get a 4 pack of Record/Marples wood chisels. They're high quality, very basic, and inexpensive (around $20). These were recomended to me by a very reputable TIKI carver from Modesto California as a good starter set.

btw: I'm just finishing up my first large scale project on which I used the aforementioned chisels. I'm staining and thaining right now!

C

On 2004-06-17 19:10, FreakBear wrote:
Yo Chef,

It's great to see postings from local TC'rs. I'm from Springfield and briefly lived in the Springs.

If I were you, I'd head down to Lowe's and get a 4 pack of Record/Marples wood chisels. They're high quality, very basic, and inexpensive (around $20). These were recomended to me by a very reputable TIKI carver from Modesto California as a good starter set.

btw: I'm just finishing up my first large scale project on which I used the aforementioned chisels. I'm staining and thaining right now!

Hey FreakBear,
Wow, didnt know there were any locals here!
We may have even crossed paths before.
I'm taking your advice on the chisels. ...and I'd love to see your work.

BTW...have you ever been to the Dock restaurant in Enon? Theres a few hidden tikis there. Mostly behind plants. Cool misting waterfall to at the bar.
The place really isnt tiki, its kind of a mixed island/lodge/redneck thing. But I still go there for cocktails(they need help) closest thing to tiki around here :wink:

ChefMike,

I have been to The Dock. I remember seeing one tiki there. I've actually considered taking some finished pieces there to sell though they seem like more of a Margaritaville atmosphere.

I would be happy to show some of my work and pass on any useful tips on carving. Most of my carvings so far have been small unfinished practice pieces. As I mentioned, I've just completed a larger carving and hope to carve a couple more over the summer.

You guys ever get to columbus? Ive been carving tikis here for the last 6 years.

On 2004-06-20 20:10, chisel slinger wrote:
You guys ever get to columbus? Ive been carving tikis here for the last 6 years.

Yeah. I get to Columbus every once in awhile to catch a Clippers game.

I'm still new here, so, is there a section of Tiki Central where regional Tiki freaks can get together, share stories, photos ,etc?

Maybe an Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky thing or something.

Chef Mike,

Did you ever get chisels? I checked Lowe's in Beavercreek and it looks like the Marples chisels are now Irwin Marples. Otherwise they are identical to mine (blue handles). Sears has a 5 or 6 piece Craftsman set for around the same price.

We'll have to meet up somehow! The urathaning went well and the termites seem to be gone. This thing is ready to show!

ChiselSlinger,

I missed the events message about Comfest. I'd like to check out your work and maybe get some carving tips.

come on down, I will have three days under a tent to talk tiki to any one who will listen.

also, on chisels.try rocklers woodworking. I love the sterling isle double edge chisels.laser sharpened.you only need one or two at 20 bucks apiece,its worth it!

B

Look at this web site http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=Marples&srchdesc=y&sid=3324917&store=Sell2All&colorid=5&fp=0&st=2
Its not my auction but there are several Marples Chisels that can be had for opening bids plus shipping. Shipping is $8 or $9 and you end up with a Marples Chisel for $10.00.
There are 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" straight chisels.
Good luck

F

On 2004-06-24 17:43, chisel slinger wrote:
come on down, I will have three days under a tent to talk tiki to any one who will listen.

Chisel slinger,
Sorry I missed you at Comfest. I somehow got the wrong dates for the event. Friends came over this weekend talking about the great time they had, all the TIKIs they saw, and how much I would have enjoyed it. Ah'em... Too bad they didn't call to take me with them! Oh well, I guess I'll have to catch you next year.

freakbear, just send a pm, you can stop over any time. jimmy

Pages: 1 22 replies