Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Telegramm - be part of the tiki DVD

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

Hi Tiki-Enthusiast,

we are still travelling the world, collecting all the necessary footage for our Tiki-DVD project called "Armchair-Travelling in the World of Tiki" - but it is about time to open the call for your participation in our open section "The Tiki Telegramm":

Any Tikiphile who has a DV-Camera can collect and send his impressions. Footage of his huge mug collection, his crazy tikibar or patio or a special tiki sighting that he would like to share. Tiki Bar owners get the chance to portray their watering hole. Feel like showing off with a little ukulele gig? Go ahead. Surprise us. Direct a little tiki short film or just send some angles on your collection. Tiki Telegramm has no limits, so be creative and share your passion for tiki lifestyle.

Closing date for your tapes is the 30th of August 2004! Everthing after that date won't make it in time for our postprodution schedule!

The video format is either a miniDV Tape, or Beta or DigiBeta, if you have professional equipment. We take both, PAL (european Standard) and NTSC (american Standard). For those who have a rare finding on the old amateur film format Super8 we will give it a look and transfer it to video for you if it gets chosen for the DVD. Thanks for your replies. We will also accept digital movies like Quicktime and AVIs burnt on a CD. This will really widen the target group for Tiki Telegramm. But keep in mind that it is not the prefered way and make sure to send digital movies with a good picture quality. So dont compress them to much. If you need help or advice - just drop us a line.

Contributers please send us a personal message here on tikicentral and we will provide you the shipping address and further information.

(We reserve the right to choose which footage makes it on the DVD)

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:31 ]

would it be possible to send you a "quicktime" format digital file? many digital photograph cameras can produce these, and more people may have digital cameras than DV cameras...

I have got some various footage I could share. I will try and get it to you by the deadline. Many other priorities first.

S

I just have a regular HI-8 video camera.
I'm guessing that won't work? I know I can transfer to VHS tape.
I'm so behind the times...

Hey Joe! What do ya know? When are we going to meet up for some drinks and cigars ?

M

Thanks for your input. Thanks Johnny, you are right, allowing Quicktimes and AVI will get us way more telegramms. The movies should have a resolution of 640x480 pixels, other wise our DVD will look like a funny collection of webcam tidbits. Maybe you can also borrow a DV Cam from a friend. The Hi8 material can be tranfered to miniDV at home or at a professional service. That is okay. Hey Danny, yeah we are fired up to see you guys. June the 19th we will land in LAX in the morning! And we should waste any time. Lets get that MaiTai pipeline open!

Read News on the Shooting of our DVD:

Tiki DVD News

http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:31 ]

M

Thanks guys. We are overwhelmed by the warm welcome of the California tiki people. Besides being hard work with several interviews everyday, this trip is really fun and exciting. It is the people that make it so interesting and heartwarming. Thank you. Right now we are in San Francisco to meet Otto.

It looks like this DVD will really be the "Who is Who of Tiki". (including exclusive interviews with legends from the early century like velvet painter Eric Askew, Moorea-based Bali-Hai-Boy Muck, tikilover and bar owner Annette (La Mariana, Honolulu) and of course "Sir" Martin Denny. All of these tiki gems are over 80! and have so much to tell. This is really exciting.

Please help to let the "TIKI TELEGRAMM" idea blossom! More Later, Jochen and Tanja.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:32 ]

M

Now we are back in Munich and I know that time will just fly by now until the end of the year. So get your cameras ready to make it to the Tiki Telegramm deadline.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:32 ]

M

Attention-Attention-Attention
Today the 25th of October 2004, I am posting the very last call for any kind of material that you would like to offer for the making of the "DVD of Tiki". If you think you have rare and exciting film material that you think is worth sharing with the tiki community please hurry an drop us a line within the next 7 days. We have to get this going because postproduction has to move on. The audience cannot wait forever. The release date has been scheduled now for Spring 2005! Please think about it. If you have Super8, Video or simmilar give us notice and we will arrange the rest. This is the last call. Cheers.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:23 ]

L

On 2004-10-24 16:30, Mogambo wrote: ...because postproduction has to move on. The audience cannot wait forever.

was ist los?

maybe ... ya might not wanna demand.... some of the audience might be able to wait..
cuz in our book, from what we hear, there are other " tiki" vids coming out alla time, brah.

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-10-25 06:20 ]

M

Thank You, Lanikai for editing your post and deleting the line that made me write the following:

It is sad that being german brings up only one response in some americans. Hey Lanikai, just image that we meet for the first time and I make only fun of you about killing all the indians and vietnam. Not very clever as an introduction of yourself.

I am sorry though if my post reminded you of that stereotypical "Achtung-Achtung" that is so ever present in american TV. It is always amazing to my how often I see these kind of war movies in the states. But on the other hand I understand that they make really ugly villians.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:23 ]

L

On 2004-10-25 01:23, Mogambo wrote: just image that we meet for the first time and I make only fun of you about killing all the indians and vietnam. Not very clever as an introduction of yourself.

you can do that. We amerikans deserve it.
( don't like at all nor do i support what amerika has done to the indigenous cultures and minorities: the american Indian, African-americans, and of course, the Hawaiians)
oh, and I wasn't trying to be clever... that's something we say alot here. it just came out. Not local residents of Hawaii say it, just a big group of us. I hang with the a group of Germans and non Germans : an informal German club/BMW owners/German Beer appreciation society kinda thing.
No offense meant. Being one fifth German, I know a few phrases... and am obliquely learning more with this ohana here. and that's a standard saying among us...
Aloha!

Thank You, Lanikai for editing your post and deleting the line that made me write the following

of course, i edited my words before your response. I saw that some of what i was saying was redundant, might be taken wrong, and thot about it, and a couple hours after posting, changed it.
As I say, no harm meant.

malama ki'i kahiko

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-10-25 13:48 ]

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-10-25 17:27 ]

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-10-25 17:29 ]

Thanks for the info Mogambo! It was great to meet you at the Hukilau, I can't wait to purchase your DVD!

Lanikai on the other hand, yer dragging me down on this already cloudy day.

Here's a happy little song for all to enjoy:

"Spread a Little Aloha"
by Mana'o Company
http://www.satin-moon.com/Hawaiian%20-%20Mana'o%20Company%20-%20Spread%20A%20Little%20Aloha33.mp3

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-10-25 16:21 ]

L

On 2004-10-25 16:20, Tikiwahine wrote:

Lanikai on the other hand, yer dragging me down on this already cloudy day.

Here's a happy little song for all to enjoy:

"Spread a Little Aloha"
by Mana'o Company

sorry bout dat. guess I'm not spreadin enuff aloha up Canada way...

Pages: 1 13 replies