Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

R.I.P. Tiki bar Costa Mesa

Pages: 1 10 replies

CA

the Tiki Bar in Costa Mesa,CA on 17th ST. has changed hands... no more massive Leroy tiki on the roof!! Where did it go????

pic on page 49 of TikiNews #17, lower right

could this be the tiki with Leroy in the book of tiki pg.242?

sorry if i missed this post if it has been already noted.

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2004-06-15 15:47 ]

C'Al,

I picked up the Leroy lodge pole that was in the interior from your friend Dominic Tucci, the drummer for the Swingin' Tikis.

When I told Bob at OA about it, he immediately made me a copy of the original invoice - I paid the same amount.

It's a 9' pole with 4 tiki faces around it; the eye of one tiki becomes the eye of the next; kinda hard to explain, but it's cool.

CA

the pole you got was from the first 'renovation' a number of years ago... replacing bad 90's surf/Gilligan decor with worse black paint and really bad hot rod flames...for the great OC new punk scene

the place is now called 'Rain', very clubie looking... gone forever are the days of the punk shows you and Ben saw there before the Tiki Bar days

T

It may R.I.P. but at least Bong saved an important piece of its history. Hey AL, can you PLEASE (me on knees begging) put me on the list for Fez Monkey?

N

I hate to see all these tiki places going away, I have not been lucky enough to see them all.
C'AL I would like to know more about the fez monkey. Let me know or PM me. You may know me better by Ernest. Thanks.

Never got around to seeing a show there...too bad...sounded like fun.

RIP Hong Kong, Anti-club, Al's Bar, Jabberjaw, Garage, alligator lounge...and the list goes on. Sad, Sad. Where to go to see good music? (Tiki and otherwise)

no more massive Leroy tiki on the roof!! Where did it go????

pic on page 49 of TikiNews #17, lower right

could this be the tiki with Leroy in the book of tiki pg.242?

I thought the same thing...sure looks the same...though I never saw it in person it does look HUGE! Might this also be the same tiki on our very own Kon-Hemsby's arm?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6053&forum=7&vpost=96145

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-06-15 19:16 ]

T

Just heard of the reopening of a Tiki Bar in Costa Mesa...It isn't the same location as the one above but it may be one of the later incarnations. "Sports bar by day" and sounds like some kind of punk/metal at night.
http://tikibaroc.com/

that is the same location.
look at the web site then click on the view directions, and a map pops up.
its on the same corner.

Ben, Al, get over there and help them asap.
help them do it right.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

CJ

I'm up for showing my support. I'm bummed about the sports bar theme but oh well it's better than something else.

I drove by there today.
it is the same place.
lets cross our fingers that they do some good work there.

That big tiki on the walkway canopy was sooo cool, and Big.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 10 replies