Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

San Diegan's - Did all your mugs survive the quake?

Pages: 1 8 replies

M

That was a doozy eh, San Diego?

4.7 ROLLER centered in the Mojave Desert!

My wife is on her way to assess any mug casualties. Most are anchored, but we'll see.

Good luck all!

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-06-15 19:30 ]

O

Hey, that was fun! like a ride without leavin' the house! All mugs and such survived...hope everyone else made it through.

M

SignOnSanDiego.com

3:36 p.m. June 15, 2004

"Two earthquakes less than a minute apart and centered far from San Diego County apparently combined to give the county a thorough shaking Tuesday afternoon, according to official monitoring data.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The first quake, centered 56 miles southwest of Imperial Beach off the coast of Baja California, was measured at 5.1 magnitude at 48 seconds past 3:28 p.m., according to preliminary U.S. Geological Survey data.

A second quake, initially described as a "light" temblor at 4.7 magnitude on the open-ended Richter scale, was centered in the Mojave Desert seven miles southwest of Edwards Air Force Base at 25 seconds past 3:29 p.m., according to the data.

Dogs barked, buildings rattled and residents scurried outside to see what was going on during the quake, which lasted about five seconds."

California's going to become an island yet.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-06-15 17:10 ]

T

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............maybe I will be reconsidering that move back to Cali.

M

The mugs danced around a little on their shelves but none jumped. That was kinda fun...:)

ModMana :drink:

M

All clear in Encinitas. Guess we were far enough away from the epicenters (epicenterSSSS, that's a little unnerving). Anyway, I don't see that anything even moved.

I hope that you TC'ers in the South Bay & Baha, CA had the same luck.

I do have to admit that I'm with OnaTiki & ModMana in regards to "that was kinda fun".

Shake it up baby, now...

Useless fact: The radio reported that there were 26 earthquakes in California - Today ALONE. Three above 4.0, the rest all little baby ones.

WE ROCK!

Whenever quakes happen, I go here to find out more. Its got a ton of earthquake info including epicenter maps of the whole globe.

Very informative

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/

When I was in New Zealand a few years back,we went camping with some friends, me and my partner were in a tent and the others slept in their cars. In the morning everyone else was talking about an earthquake and how the cars they were in were bouncing around during the night. I was on the ground and never felt a tremor, weird eh? Anyway apparently NZ gets earthquakes every day, the beaches have tsunami warnings just in case ther is one at sea!

When i first came upon tiki central and read posts about earthquake proofing tiki collections i was secretly glad we didn't have that problem here in scotland. That was until loads of the old coal mine workings under edinburgh started collapsing and we had small quakes around the city.
The most scarey thing about them was the press kept reporting that the "quakes were minor and caused no damage bar some broken cups"

Pages: 1 8 replies