Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Bluegrass Exotica!

Pages: 1 2 replies

B

I got an entire box of LPs for free at an estate sale recently. I was there as it was ending and they said the charity they donate the leftovers to would not even take records– they go in the trash!

Anyway, I was going through them seeing what might be worth keeping and what would go to our local thrift, playing stuff that looked interesting. As I was working in the studio, I was playing a bluegrass record by David Grisman called "Dawg" and was suddenly struck dumbfound when a familiar melody came out of the speakers. They do a cover of "Caravan"!!!

I like all kinds of music, and like stuff that crosses genres– or transcends them... but I never thought I'd hear a bluegrass version of an exotica classic! This belongs on one of the "Exotic Trilogy" disks.

If I'm ever able to figure out the technology, I'll post a mpeg of this gem. If anyone else knows of weird or obscure exotica covers, I'd love to know about them. I may be passing over goodies in the bins at the thrifts.

Grisman also does a sweet cover of Nature Boy on his 1995 CD, Dawganova.

David Grisman is the man! His music is more "newgrass" then bluegrass, however, and he is really into the whole Django Rhienhart thing..the french gypsy jazz style...(his muci was featured in the movie "king of the gypsies").......I know all about him because techincally, I am one..on my father's side.

Caravan was a duke ellington song, and actually a big band jazz thing...a lot of exotica groups cover it.....

Pages: 1 2 replies