Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The "Starter" Home Bar and Rum

Pages: 1 4 replies

Okay, I have read through NUMEROUS posts to see if I could get a consensus as to what different types and brands (OF READLY AVAILABLE) rum I should procure for a few simple Tiki inspired drink recipes to share with friends in my humble home bar.

I know a few of you believe I should get as many varied types and brands of rum as possible. I always stocked my home bar by the recipe I wanted to try and felt this was the fiscally responsible way. And as much I do love the Tiki Bar theme (I DO LOVE IT, REALLY!) I lean towards a TRUE martini (gin AND vermouth) and Sinatra lounge scene myself. (The girl would never have gone for the Tiki Room décor! Hell, I’m lucky I got this… But I digress.) Basically, I’m not looking to stock a “Tiki Bar”.

So, what I have gleamed so far is that 3 types of rum SHOULD suffice. Correct?
Light, amber or gold and dark.
I have learned that not all dark rum is aged rum, but keep in mind I’m not looking to mix a fine, EXPENSIVE aged rum with 5 other ingredients. (To me it would be like mixing expensive vodka with tonic!)

If I’m right about the three types of rum, what AVAILABLE brands would you recommend?

Thank you all for any help or insight you can provide, Rich

(And an “AMEN!” to those who expound on the virtues of FRESH SQUEEZED JUICE!!)

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

[ Edited by: JerseyRED on 2004-06-15 18:05 ]

[ Edited by: JerseyRED on 2004-06-15 18:05 ]

S

I prefer Appleton for Gold and white rum. St. James for Amber. But if you look at the Grog Log, what's called for the most are light Puerto Rican rum, Gold Jamaican rum. So, cover those two and you far in business.

Hey thanks!

Just what I was looking for!

I say, if the girl ain't goin' for it, dump the girl! (Just kidding)

Actually, if you can get your hands on a bottle of Lemon Hart Demerara Rum, do it (and the 151). The drinks in the Grog Log that call for it are outstanding--and it's just a great tasting rum in general. And since you are a Martini kind of guy, I think you would appreciate the Demerara Dry Float and the 151 Swizzle--both very strong, not overly fruity and sweet, very old school.

Ex-CELL-ent! That DOES sound good.

And your thoughts on the rum aren't to bad either. :P

Seriously, I'll keep my eyes peeled for Lemon Hart! Thanks!

Pages: 1 4 replies