Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kon-Tiki??

Pages: 1 10 replies

C

Is this the Kon-Tiki from Cleveland?
I found it while googling for the kon tiki theatre in dayton. The pic is from 1960.

H

I think that's the Kon-Tiki in Montreal, as it matches this postcard from puamana's collection:

It's possible it's from one of the other Kon-Tiki locations. Definitely one of the Steve Crane Kon-Tikis, though.

Thank you. That most definately looks like it!

Also BOT page 102, page 96/97 has the rendering, and page 61 shows it in the snow, AND the blue print: Amazing how accurately they worked from that, even the door latches have the same form...
Nice picture, it seems the door HANDLES were the same than the LUAU's, in the form of the Luau logo Tiki. They resurfaced on The Islands/Hanalei entrance door in the 80s.

C

This is from the same website. The wedding couples names are Joe and Rita. Rita possibly had to many coconut drinks.

[ Edited by: ChefMike on 2004-06-17 08:22 ]

that picture is freaking classic!

to be fair, the 'drunk' face is often the result of a wince from a flash in a low-light area :)

joe is quite the mack daddy...

I think Joe's gonna lay some pipe when they get home...

You guys found that so quick....how 'bout this one. It says Polynesian Room 1960's.

Mike, where's that from? These are exactly the kind of fotos I always look for: 60's straight dad doing the Hula!
Great, I would like to use it for my book.

That first pic... most probably Kon Tiki here in Montreal. Funny, the few times I remember going there as a young lad, we always went in from the hotel entrance, rather than through those front doors on Peel Street.

As for the brass tiki door handles, they can now be found at the Jardin Tiki in Montreal (probably taken from the Kon Tiki when it closed in 1981)... you can have a look at them in the Tiki Brunch video on my web-site (www.angelfire.com/un/maitai)

On 2004-06-17 10:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
Mike, where's that from? These are exactly the kind of fotos I always look for: 60's straight dad doing the Hula!
Great, I would like to use it for my book.

Hello Bigbro. Got it from this site.
http://www.ginnco.com
go to family photos

Pages: 1 10 replies