Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Yikes! Quiet Disco!

Pages: 1 10 replies

I'm listening to Netscape Radio here at the office, and I'm ashamed to admit that it's on the Disco channel.

Right now they are playing a disco version of "Quiet Village" (by someone called The Ritchie Family) from 1977. It doesn't have any bird calls, but there is something that sounds sort of like a theremin.

Has anyone else heard this? I'd really like to know what Martin Denny thinks of it!

Dont be ashamed for listening to Disco. It is more shameful to see the world narrowly and only listen to a small variety of music.

Every music has its place and time except country (just kidding).

Just last weekend I was speaking with one of TC's own prolific carvers who said that one of his favorite types of music to carve to is Disco.

B

Sad to say that i have that album by the Ritchie Family, "African Queens."

They also do a cover of "Brazil" on another LP that is pretty good (in an odd way).

From All Music Guide:

Named for their producer, Ritchie Rome, the group was created by the late Jacques Morali (died of AIDS in 1991), who also thought up the Village People. The original trio was Cheryl Jacks, Cassandra Wooten, and Gwen Oliver. They were disco mavens, built to produce dance floor fodder and scored a smash single with "The Best Disco in Town," a medley of disco hits reworked by the ladies. When disco died, so did the group.

Discography (albums):
Brazil (1975)
Arabian Nights (1976)
Life Is Music (1976)
African Queens (1977)
American Generation (1978)
Bad Reputation (1979)
I'll Do My Best (1982)

the ritchie family "brazil" is on my ronco 'disco express' album i think, along with 'disco tex and his sex-o-lettes."

The chorus from Disco Tex's Big hit:
do da do da do do da
do da do da do do da
dancin' (dancin') dancin'

Disco is awesome! Like Monkeyman says....

"Every music has its place and time except country."

You can't go wrong following this rule of thumb. Even country has a place... although, if I just want to bring the house down the Smiths usually works for me;)

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2004-06-27 07:09 ]

T

Disco is totally cool. I find it excellent jamming practice to play guitar along with disco, just improvising and working out the fingers. The whole process is remarkably forgiving of my many mistakes.

If disco spirit could be brought into tiki, with tiki's visual aesthetic and emphasis on acoustic instrumentation left intact but disco's sensually interactive dance to fast-paced rhythmic music made central, the combination might just take over the world.

Tiki bar? Wonderful of course, but how about a TIKI DISCO?

K

Ashamed of disco? Are you crazy? When everyone brings in their Christmas CDs in to work during "the season", I LOVE to bring in my Disco Christmas CDs by Salsoul and their imitators!
I'll never forget, one JULY afternoon, I went into downtown Chinatown in Honolulu to a "food court" of Asian eateries and over the internal music system was BLASTING the Salsoul Xmas CDs...and it was like no one ever noticed. Kind of surreal, but beautiful.

On 2004-06-27 07:06, Primo Kimo wrote:
The chorus from Disco Tex's Big hit:
do da do da do do da
do da do da do do da
dancin' (dancin') dancin'

My chiffon is wet darling, my chiffon is wet.....

T

Re: Disco Tex: awesome stuff! I hadn't seen that before. And what a great name.

Re: Disco and Christmas music: reminds me of the Philippines, where disco never really went out of style. Christmas music there tends to be disco-ey and I'll never forget riding in a van when this was cranking on the stereo, in all its disco glory:
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year
Sex Bomb, Sex Bomb, Sexy Sexy Sex Bomb!
Sex Bomb, Sex Bomb, Sexy Sexy Sex Bomb!
We wish you a merry Christmas...
Too much! Ah, the Philippines. They get a lot of things right over there.

[ Edited by: Thomas 2007-10-02 13:33 ]

On 2007-10-02 12:36, Thomas wrote:
Re: Disco and Christmas music: reminds me of the Philippines, where disco never really went out of style.

That may explain why they're always playing disco at my local bowling alley (Serra Bowl in Colma). It's in a neighborhood that's mostly Pinay. It's great bowling music!

Pages: 1 10 replies