Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Blue Hawaii Shoes

Pages: 1 30 replies

I am a huge fan of Converse Chuck Taylor shoes. A couple of summers ago I saw a company online that sold Chuck Taylors with a Hawaiian print that they called Blue Hawaii. Of course, I didn't get a pair then, and I can't find any for sale now. And I don't remember what the original company was that was selling them.

Does anybody remember seeing these shoes, and does anybody know (if wishes could come true...) where I might get a pair?

DZ

I've been wearing Cons for most of my life, and I wear my black Chucks to school every day. Many of my students have begun wearing them too, and one of them has a black pair with blue flames on 'em - very cool! I've never heard about any with Hawaiian prints but I've gotta have a pair!

Did they look like this? http://sneakers.pair.com/l/chuck3hh.jpg

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2004-06-17 11:38 ]

Was it this one?

L

On 2004-06-17 11:42, freddiefreelance wrote:
Was it this one?

ugh! That's not hawaiian. more like an old lady's flower dress.

I got a pair with a typical tapa cloth design on 'em.

I'll try to post a picture sometime after I discover the largest prime number...

On 2004-06-17 11:33, Doctor Z wrote:
I've been wearing Cons for most of my life, and I wear my black Chucks to school every day.

And every day I love you that little bit more, Dr Z!
The perfect sneaker was made before most of us were born........

Trader Woody

Yes! Tikiwahine's post is exactly right! And I'd never seen the ones Doctor Z posted, but I love those too!

I noticed that the link is in German or something. Do you think they are sold anywhere state-side?, or at least an English speaking web sight?

T

Ya know I always wanted a pair of Chuckie's but with a 14W,hard to find them in my size let alone any cool colors. Boo Hoo, need to go clean up some spilt milk.

DZ

On 2004-06-17 12:36, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Do you really have a pair of these or are you just BS-ing? Now those have got to be cool! Were they custom made?

For what it's worth, Vans makes an 'aloha' series of slip-ons with hibiscus patterns, and even a lace-up with woven faux lauhala and suede (these are great - Z-Girl and Madame Bong have 'em)

F

A buddy of mine had a pair of High-top Allstars that had a glow in the dark leopard print. You could see him coming from half a block away.

OK, I found the blue ones I posted.

I just visited a local shop called Baggins( http://www.chucktaylorallstars.com/converse-main.html ) which is a 2 minute walk from where I work. They only have one VERY SMALL pair in the high top, but they have several of them in low top. You can see them on the web site.(exactly the same design as the picture I posted above) They ship to wherever you like, and have a toll free number. These were out a couple of years ago, so this is all they'll get. They didn't have any other hawaiian style prints. If I can help in any way, let me know!

On 2004-06-17 12:36, Tiki_Bong wrote:

I'll try to post a picture sometime after I discover the largest prime number...

Hey, you'll never guess what I did this weekend, so now I guess I got to post pictures of my shoes I was talking about.

P.S. The number is 838,184,093,631,059,618,971,649,846,264,837,523,845,...

B

On 2004-06-18 11:14, foamy wrote:
A buddy of mine had a pair of High-top Allstars that had a glow in the dark leopard print. You could see him coming from half a block away.

I still have my Glow Zebra Stripes. Too bad they're 2.5 sizes to small now. But, I did recently sell my Batman Chucks on ebay for $150.

I'm bringing a dead thread back to life..I wondered if anyone had posted about these shoes before, and they had
I got these shoes about 5 years ago for my birthday, I LOVE them!

I'm more partial to Vans :) :

Sven,
thats cool man, I've been a die hard Vans Fan since 81 when I moved to So. Cal. I have been bringing up the topic of Vans vs. Converse to some of the surf, and tiki crowds. To me Vans has a classic California vibe, that would be perfect for a surf band to wear. Where to me, When I see Converse I think 50 basketball, guy, N.Y. Street thug, or Punk rocker.
I have had in the past, a pair of Vans high tops, that were black, with grey palm leaves silloettes. wish I still had those.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

I was really bummed when one summer a couple of years ago I was away shooting in Germany, and they put out this cool burlap model:

To me, this is the perfect Beachcomber shoe! The fabric looks even better when torn. If I would have found these in time, I would have bought three or four pairs, but when I discovered them that fall, there were no more to be found anywhere in LA area stores (with my size 12-13 the selection is limited, too :) )

T

Yeah, I totally agree. For me it has been Vans since the early 80s. I remember going to see Fast Times at the movies and I was wearing checkerd vans at the theatre. I had a friend in High school that was a pro BMX racer and was sponcered by Vans. We could get anything. We had Checkered slip ons like Spoicolis that had the Fast Times logo across the bottom scene section. I still have the box they came in that says Fast Times Vans. In the old days you could pay $2.00 more and get whatever you wanted. They had a template showing two shoes. Then they gave you the sample book. You wrote the number of fabric you wanted in the section of shoe. Also what color stripe and what scene you wanted. I ordered a pair of checkered laced shoes once. I ordered them complete opposite of each other. My friend ordered a pair with nothing the same. Ugliest shoes ever. We thought they were cool though. If I understand you can still custom order shoes if you buy a certain amount using the fabic of your choice. How about Tiki Central Vans. Do a big group buy. I am in for a few pairs. Little Tikis across the bottom scenes. Maybe a Volcano. Hey Sven how about a Book of Tiki edition? Scott

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 6:26 PM

They're some wild shoes!

Love the Cons. My brother has a blue pair and a red pair. He usually wears one red one and one blue one, just to freak people out :) Ive recently got a pair of Cons, and got a pair of Cons look a likes. I think the the look a likes are going to cop some pinstripes on the toes :)

Sven those Canvas Vans are the shit man.

we need to start a seperate Vans thread,
I feel contaminated hangin here with all these street thug
Coverse wearing people.

joking people, only joking.
but seriously, how ugly is that big white rubber toe cap.
ughhhh the humanity.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2007-01-10 22:38 ]

wow no reply to my vicious anti converse statements in almost a week.
I think this thread needs a shot in the arm.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On my feet it's all monochromes, all the time!

On 2007-01-16 22:13, bigtikidude wrote:
wow no reply to my vicious anti converse statements in almost a week.
I think this thread needs a shot in the arm.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

There's just no question. Vans are cooler. Period.

Proof:

Sven those are cool, these are kind of similar, available last year

T

I just bought a really cool set of Vans. Sorry not set up to post pictures on here. They are very tiki inspired. Black & White with a really cool pattern. Just do a regular search for Vans Galinsky Print #3

are these what you are talking about?
I want some if so, but no 14's :(
Jeff(bigtikidude)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23187&forum=12&7

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2007 1:47 AM

On 2007-01-29 00:38, cheekytiki wrote:

I saw a kid (13 or so) wearing these at an art/craft fair I went to today, I think he got a little freaked out by how excited his shoes made me. Not only that, he was selling fridge magnets - some of which had tikis on them.

The Galinskis are the s$%#!!

On 2007-01-29 00:38, cheekytiki wrote:

These are cool as hell... I'm in the market for new shoes. I missed out on these. The the new ones look like carpet and really ugly.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/9465882/c/78813.html

Anyone know where to get some of these or another version (maybe not by Vans)???

I guess I will have to troll ebay to see if I can get some of last years model.

Brian

Ok...

If found these but I think the woven hemp-ish stuff on the sole would fray or come off...

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/11777506/c/423.html

These are kinda cool...

http://www.natterjacks.com/shop/product.php?xProd=1456&xSec=81

http://www.natterjacks.com/shop/product.php?xProd=1906&xSec=81

Limited edition Hawaiian style Hoffman prints...

http://www.natterjacks.com/shop/product.php?xProd=6940&xSec=81

http://www.natterjacks.com/shop/product.php?xProd=6941&xSec=81

Just some other options I guess..

Brian

Pages: 1 30 replies