Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Use of the words "This" and "Next"

Pages: 1 26 replies

M

Here's one for you:

A friend and I are always disagreeing with eachother on the use of "This" and "Next" when it comes to discussing days of the week.

Here's an example:
Say today is Monday and you are planning to go to a Tiki Bar the following Friday at the end of that week. Would you say let's go THIS Friday or let's go NEXT Friday.

On Monday I would say THIS Friday, because the NEXT Friday would be after THIS Friday.

He would say NEXT Friday because it's the NEXT upcomming Friday.

He thinks I'm nuts. Chances are very good that I am, but I wanted to throw this out to everyone to get your opinion.

"This" sucks, "Next" thread please.

I'm just kidding MachTiki!
But I couldn’t pass it up. :)

M

On 2004-06-17 17:36, Unga Bunga wrote:

I'm just kidding MachTiki!
But I couldn’t pass it up. :)

No worries UB.... but I didn't get your answer.

I say, "this Friday".

I'm with you mach tiki.

I used to get into this same problem with a friend of mine.

I

I think it all depends on how close the actual date is ..... if stated on a Monday, both terms are acceptable - but on a Thursday, there might be a difference.

An analogy might be standing on a train platform. If there is no train in sight, then the statements 'Let's take this train' and 'Let's take the next train' mean the same thing.

But if there was a train approaching, or even stopped with its doors open, then 'Let's take this train' means something completely different than 'Let's take the next train.'

Vern

owww, you're making my brain hurt vern tiki!
I agree with you, but I think I need a mai tai!

I

So, will that be ....

'this mai-tai this Friday?' or
'the next mai-tai this Friday' or
'this mai-tai next Friday' or
'the next mai-tai next Friday'

Ah, the hell with it. Just have a bunch of mai-tais on Friday and don't worry about it.

Vern

the way I see it, when you start a week ALL the upcoming days are within THIS week. It gets tricky as the week progesses, but after you pass a day the following same day then becomes "this" coming day.
I feel next refers to the one after the coming day, or on a day that holds some specific importance.
IE "the next Monday we have practice" would mean, not necessarily the approaching Monday, but one in the future. "This Monday we have practice" means the approaching Monday, whether you say it on Tuesday or Sunday.

That's how I see it...so there ya' have it.

L

toe MAY toes.

toe MAH toes.

same t'ing.

This has nothing to do with tomatoes, MackTiki is correct.

Definitely THIS Friday. NEXT Friday is after this weekend.

To me, "Next Friday" implies the next Friday (in the sequence). Friday After Next implies the second upcoming Friday in the sequence.

So to me, This and Next mean the same.

I'm with "This" as in "this coming" Friday.
Aloha,
:tiki:

"This" Friday, without question.

M

Thanks to everyone for your input. This has been driving me crazy for years thinking that I was off.

It always sounds like "who's on first" when my buddy and I are making plans.

"Okay, I'll meet you there this Friday"
"Next Friday... got it"
"This Friday.... at the end of the week"
"Right, the next Friday"

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH

I always end up saying the actual date, just to make sure were on the same page.

Also, I agree with those of you that say it depends on how close you are to that day. But, the way I see it, if it's Thursday I just say tomorrow. As of Wednesday, it is still THIS Friday (or if you're me and trying to avoid any confusion with your friend, you say "day-after-tomorrow").

To me, the only grey area is what you say when it IS Friday. Then I think I say NEXT Friday.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-06-18 07:45 ]

i try to say something like 'friday the 11th' and have the person check their calendar. maybe i'm too 'retentive' tho :)

A

I think the problem has to do with resolving the ambiguity caused by words omitted in casual conversation.

"This Friday" just means "This [week's] Friday".

but

"Next Friday" can mean "Next [occurring] Friday" or "Next [week's] Friday". So when the reference is omitted, the ambiguity can't be resolved since both options are equally correct grammatically, leaving the listener to just guess what the speaker means.

As Vern pointed out, there are other rules besides just grammar that can help tip off the listener. People don't tend to talk in a Spock-like logical manner, so on a Thu it would be odd for a speaker to mean "next occurring Friday", instead of just saying tomorrow.

But like all issues with natural language understanding, there are loads of counterexamples and other nuances. One of the beauties of being human!

-Randy

S
SES posted on Sat, Jun 19, 2004 5:28 PM

Okay substitute day of week for significant (or insignificant) other and how's it sound? This boyfriend/girlfriend or next boyfriend/girlfriend makes it seem pretty clear to me. Next please...
:wink:

I would have to go with "this" Friday, and if I was refering to "next" Friday, I may even attempt to clarify and say, not "this" Frday, but "next" Friday. I have heard people say "Friday week" which I believe is a week from this Friday.

However, if I was having a real tough time, I am not afraid to break out a calculator, what?

Well,

you can get with "This" or you can get with "Next"

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
-Z

I agree with MachTiki.

"THIS" Friday is this coming Friday. "NEXT" Friday is the Friday of next week.

Had to reply to this one. It's SO easy!

On 2004-06-23 10:40, JerseyRED wrote:
I agree with MachTiki.

"THIS" Friday is this coming Friday. "NEXT" Friday is the Friday of next week.

Had to reply to this one. It's SO easy!

Okay... that settles it. Thanks to all that replied and put my mind at ease (as if that's possible).

I'll print out this thread so the next time he calls this Friday next., I'll just hand it to him.

Machtiki is right, the rest of you can take the next train to Clarksville.....

On 2004-06-17 17:36, Unga Bunga wrote:

Nice one!

Yep, definitely 'this' friday.
(At least that's how we say it in England)

Trader Woody

TW

I'm glad this topic was posted! I had the same argument with someone about the "This" and "Next" topic. I always thought "Next Friday" would mean the Friday after "This" coming Friday. I say the dates now just to avoid confusion!

Pages: 1 26 replies