Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

A trip to Gecko's island

Pages: 1 12 replies

O

We first met up with Gecko and Tiki Kate (who happened to be on Oahu at the same time as us) at La Mariana for cocktails. We had lots of fun, laughs and good drinks.

Gecko was kind enough to invite us all up to see his home and work space. Man what a view!

Upon arrival you immediately see where the magic happens.

Gecko's outdoor work space.

Gecko invited us into his home for some libations. OH MY GODS! Tiki Gods!! Everywhere!

This is just the entry. Amazing! So much to look at.

Some of his mugs and beautiful artwork.

Us on the couch relaxing, enjoying our surroundings and talking story.

Back outside for some carving tips.

We all got a lesson. Check out the view!

And then he introduced us to "Da Big Puka"

"Da Big Puka" is Gecko's second drum based tiki. His first being "Exotica" that he gave to Martin Denny.

We all posed with "Da Big Puka"

Tiki Kate, Gecko & Moki

Gecko & OnaTiki

This is Shorty, Gecko's assistant. She makes sure that all wood chips are removed from the carving area and disposed of properly in the front yard.

Our trip was fun. We learned alot. Gecko was a gracious host and very nice guy. If you get a chance to visit him, I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah.....by the way.
"Da Big Puka" arrived today. Safe and sound. It now has a new home in San Diego. Thanks to Gecko for letting us be the first mainlanders to have a drum based style tiki. It will always be treasured.

Here it is in it's new home.

[ Edited by: OnaTiki on 2004-06-18 00:22 ]

B

Nice trip Beautiful Pix, Excellent carvings and a Super lucky free carving lesson from the master Gecko. Way to go.

Nice pix!

Yes, great pics!

http://www.samgambino.com

T

Mahalo for sharing your pictures of your wonderful trip. And Gecko wonderful work as always.

S
SES posted on Fri, Jun 18, 2004 9:12 AM

Very nice! Thanks for the tour.

What is that SECOND mug sitting on the Big Puka carving with the Exotica mug? A Big Puka Mug???

Ona Tiki you lucky dog! Very nice pics, cant wait to go myself, it was also great meeting you both at Mr. Tiki.

Tbird.

Sounds like a lot of fun wuz had by all! Thanks for posting the pics and sharing that story.

Gecko - What can I say? Those carvings are awesome

Ona - That tiki is B E A U T I F U L !

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-06-18 12:22 ]

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-06-18 12:23 ]

It would be a privilege to visit Gecko.
Thanks for the pics.

"A Visit to Gecko's Island" sounds like a good name for an exotica song. I'll have to write that idea down in my notebook.

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Jun 18, 2004 7:10 PM

Mahalo for da visit guys! It was nice to talk story with you guys. Thanks for giving me a call and telling me "da big puka got there in good shape! It looks great in that spot. Can't wait to come by your pad!

Yes, da mug is "da big puka" and will be comming out summer time this year from South Sea Arts. Thanks for da props to evryone. Here's a closer up of da new mug.

and da back

these will not be limited so they will be more affordable.

thanks for everything I had a great time. Sorry, we didn't get to hook up more. I have several projects going on at once dats why.

Aloha and see you again

O

Hey Gecko,
Glad you like where Da Big Puka is. Sorry about outing your new mug if you weren't ready. Susane was looking very close to have noticed the mug matched. :lol:

I know you will get a great response to the new mug. Can't wait to get ours.

Thanks again,
Aloha :drink:
OnaTiki & Moki

B

Further inspection of the "Big Puka" Carving shows a Highly refined and finished piece. Gecko the Master is really bringing it all together, The detail and Workmanship in this carving is Definately Top Shelf. This is a big step for you Gecko. Now I see what you've been doing in the fast several weeks.

Pages: 1 12 replies