Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Nacho's VLV Ku Tiki Bar (updated 4/20)

Pages: 1 43 replies

K

I'm posting these pics of my friend Nacho's work. The 1st tiki he ever attempted to make was the 20 ft. Moai bar that has successfully made its way to Vegas and back 3 years in a row for the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekender (was sold in November '05 to someone down in San Diego). More pics of his work to come...

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2006-04-20 23:16 ]

L

On 2004-06-18 03:29, KAHAKA wrote:
I'm posting this pic of my friend Nacho's latest work. No, he hasn't carved a tiki out of wood, but the guy's talent shows in what he has done. I am friggin' amazed at what this guy is capable of.

FABulous!

Cool!

On 2004-06-18 03:29, KAHAKA wrote:
No, he hasn't carved a tiki out of wood,

What medium is it?

Enquiring minds wanna know.

-Z

K

I believe it's insulation foam.

Nice! Foam...hadn't thought of that. Not a bad idea. More pics please!

B

From the 'Bubble Machine" I love it and I'm with everyone else. Want more pix. Looks like Nacho ahs a good Eye and is not afraid to get deep into the detail. Cool

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-18 13:46 ]

K

Here's more of Nacho's stuff. He hasn't done too much, but he says there's more to come.

![](
This one he thought up while carving. He says he wants to do more traditional style tikis, but this is pretty representative of his style.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d839b3127cceb0d9638730ee0000001610)

20 ft. Moai bar at Viva Las Vegas Weekender

[ Edited by: KAHAKA on 2004-06-18 15:18 ]

I saw the Moai bar at the rockabillyfest and was completely blown away. I'm glad you posted this, what are the odds(and price) of gettin' Mr. Nacho to create one for me? Don't make me beg.

K

I talked to Nacho and he says call him to work out the details... 408 561 2503.

D

dang, that moai bar is incredible. how does he transport it to vegas? that must be one hecka sight driving down I15!

thankgoodness the ceiling in my tiki room is only 7 feet high ~ so i cant get too envious. ok, no. i lied. i am envious. but im realistic that it cant possibly fit.

K

We took the thing on a 20 ft. trailer and drove our hot rods beside it. The Ford in the pic is mine. Nacho did a lot of the body work and painted it.

[ Edited by: KAHAKA on 2004-06-20 16:18 ]

B

My first car was a '54 ford.

K

That's what year mine is.

D

ok. now i have car envy too.

damn this place. :)

K

Nacho finally has an email address if any would like to contact him...

[email protected]

Thanks

K

New Ku Tiki bar for Viva Las Vegas Weekender in April. Here it is on the trailer at foamer Kent's "Ranch house," up in the hills of east San Jose. Tiki in this state is a wooden frame, surrounded with chicken wire, and black felt. About 1 year's worth of work (off and on) put in by Nacho. The tiki measures about 18ft. tall, 8ft. wide, 10ft. deep (minus foam).

Good Old Kent riggin' up the foam rig.

Kent in action

Progress!

Nacho foams:

BREAK @ Kent's thoroughly insulated keg-o-rator

Decided to stand it up:

Still more foaming to do (we ran poor Kent out... he thinks we probably put a good 200 lbs. of foam on it), then Nacho will carve it, paint it, finish it. I'll be doing up the inside with some help, hopefully. Lots more work to do before Vegas!

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2006-02-13 20:25 ]

You guys are awesome!!!! Cant wait to see it done.

Sholy Hit! That's Nucking Futs!!!!

K

Yep, not exactly the traditional way to go, but I don't think you can find wood this big!

B

Traditional or not it is still Awesome. If his earlier ones are any indication, this ine will be a Super tiki. Fun project to be a part of constructing.

K

Well, we made it to VLV and back to San Jose with the new Ku Tiki Bar in tact (. The Moai bar that we took 3 times took a beating over the course of those years, so we decided to treat this one with a clear coat to strengthen the foam before the paint, and did it ever pay off... no loss of foam at all. Trailered it along side 8 hot rods and customs.

My lamp on the inside... did a little carving myself!

At one point during the car show on Saturday, a Pin-up model found her way to the top of the bartop and posed for a slew of eager photographers... Anyone happen to get a shot? I deleted those pics by mistake!!! DOOOH!

Overall, good show... security was TIGHT (emphasis on TIGHT), but it was cool. Rapped with Tiki Beat Marcus (super cool dude) and met Pdrake briefly. Hope to bring it back next year!!

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2006-04-20 00:00 ]

I know you realize It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, because it attracts pin-up models. But that is one badass smoke-snortin tiki bar!

Sweeet! Bigger is better!

Wow.... Cripes. That monster statue is freakin cool.

Kahaka,

totally dig the lamp with the carving on the base. Mixing up all elements in that one. Way cool

This KU bar is way toooo coooool!
Amazing job.
Tahitiki

K

I really can't take much credit for this one... really my buddy Nacho's work. I just helped when needed (I did the bartop with another friend's help, some painting, interior stuff, lamps, fingerpointing, suggesting, gawking, beer drinking, etc.). Thanks for the kind words, on Nacho's behalf.

Saaweet! You guys did awesome work again!

K

Thanks guys!

Good golly... someone has pics of something I didn't see with my own eyes (but thought in my head perhaps)...

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:49:32 ]

Aw, dude, that's f*ckin NUTS. I want it. Owning that pretty much means being the most popular guy on your block. Like owning a 70-inch plasma during football season, except ALL YEAR ROUND.

Sweet Jeezus! That is soooo sick!

That thing kicks ass. BIG ass.

Where do you keep it when you're not using it?

Very cool,
just thought I would throw this up for you....

I found it on the HAMB boards....

K

On 2006-04-22 17:31, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Aw, dude, that's f*ckin NUTS. I want it. Owning that pretty much means being the most popular guy on your block. Like owning a 70-inch plasma during football season, except ALL YEAR ROUND.

It's actually in my buddy Bill's (that's his rust orange Hot Rod in front of the tiki) backyard... we're always forcing him to let us drink beers in his backyard just so we can hang out with the Tiki!

Glad to hear you guys dig it!

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2006-04-23 20:10 ]

B

I would have Loved to been there, seen that. That bartiki is really unbelievable, Super well done. Great vision, great exicution and great finish.. Looks like lots of peeps agree.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 15, 2007 9:01 PM

Thats a BIG tiki man... very cool :)

Is this great tiki bar making it's way to Viva again this year?

N
NOTCH posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2007 11:11 AM

That,s a negetory on that trip to viva!!!! Last year the shifters car club invited the tiki bar over and when we got there the gold coast security shut us down!!!!!!! Can you imagine an empty tiki bar at a show.

Bummer. I will have to catch this amazing tiki bar at some other event in the future.

Way ta go Nacho.
Good talkin' to ya' at F.I.
Big Tikis are a good thing. Just like Big Aloha!
Keep up the innovative work.

I heard Nacho's making it into a float for the City of Alameda's Mayor's Parade on Fourth of July...

:wink:

C

Go Nacho Go! Incredible work!! You almost can live in there! I'm blown away too, by the smoke he breathes! Very nice lamp too!! Congrats to you both!

No other way to say it, "YOU ARE MY F*CKING HERO!"

Pages: 1 43 replies