Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Diggin in Grandmas' House Found a Steve Crane Mug

Pages: 1 16 replies

I have always liked the Tiki style things at my grandmothers' house. So I kinna dabble in just looking around to see where its from and who makes it, stuff like that. Well last weekend we were cleaning out some boxes and I found this mug. It has Steve Cranes' name stamped on the bottom but I cant seem to find out any info on it! Grandma doesnt want it displayed anywhere at her house. She says it scares her senile old dog. Thats why it was in a box. Do you think you guys and gals can be some help please. The mug is yellow faced with green eyes, the pupil area is black and a corner to corner wide mouth grin with teeth showing. The area where the handle is a darker brown with what looks to be like fish scales. Whats the name of this one? What kind of money could it be worth?

Thanx for any help!

put it on ebay and find out.

I guess that I shouldnt expect too serious of an answer considering I just joined your sites forum.
Thats the obvious to go to ebay. But then I would have to give it to the guy who bid on it. I was just tryin to learn some info about it. Thats all.
My grandmother pretty much is giving me all of her Tiki style things and while digging through them I just happened to recognize the Steve name. Just tryin to figure out if the stuff is worth keeping other than sentimental.

[ Edited by: Lbzrat13 on 2004-06-18 22:56 ]

Grandma was a cool partier.

I dont know where she got all of it. I just remember looking at it when I was a kid. I know she used to travel alot and she always seem to get something new.

The so called "Warrior" mug from Steven Crane's Luau Restaurant. Steve was a failed B movie star, he was in "Cry of the Werewolf" (1944). He was a legendary Ladies man who married Lana Turner twice. The bartenders in old Hollywood tell this story of how one night he showed up with Ava Gardner, the next night with Rita Heyworth and then Lana Turner the third night. Hollywood Trifecta!!! He later opened the Kon Tiki and Port O' Call chains.

The mug will certainly sell on Ebay for over $100.00, possibly over $150.00, maybe over $200.00

Read more about him in the Book of Tiki by Sven Kirsten, Tacshen Press or at IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0186428/bio

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2004-06-28 13:42 ]

On 2004-06-18 23:06, Alnshely wrote:
The so called "Warrior" mug from Steven Crane's Luau Restaurant. Steve was a failed B movie star, he was in "Cry of the Werewolf" (1944). He was a legendary Ladies man who married Lana Turner twice. The bartenders in old Hollywood tell this story of how one night he showed up with Ava Gardner, the next night with Rita Heyworth and then Lana Turner the third night. Hollywood Trifecta!!! He later opened the Kon Tiki and Port O' Call chains.

The mug will certainly sell on Ebay for over $100.00, possibly over $150.00, maybe over $200.00

Whoa.... I dont think my grandmother needs to know that. Thank you very much. I was thinking it was called like hunter or something like that.

Do the colors of all of these types of mugs and bowls always differ so much in color. The picture of that one is alot lighter than the one Im lookin at. That picture even made me relize that the eye color is actully blue, not black. But my grandmothers it looks like their black.

Welcome aboard LBZRAT13 and nice find!
Most of the Crane mugs I've seen (not that I've seen a WHOLE lot) seem to have pretty consistant color. Maybe yours is just dirty from age. Does grandma smoke? I scored some pieces form an old couple and the husband used to smoke cigars like a fiend (died of mouth cancer), anyway, these items were literally caked with a brown layer of nicotine. It was pretty nasty but everything cleaned up pretty well.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Hey Thanx.
Yeah she smokes like a chimney. I did think of that, and wiped it down and still no difference. Maybe its just because of the flash of the camera or something. Im gonna have to talk to her tomorrow and see what all she knows about it. And I guess Im gonna do some more diggin around.

My reply had nothing to do with the fact that you were new to the forum. It sounded like you were interested in determining its value so you could sell it. Generally, ebay will reach market value if the right eyes see it.

Good luck with you future finds at Grandmas house.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2004-06-19 00:45 ]

L

I would figure that the selling of any of her stuff would be her choice not mine. I was just being nosey.

S

good thing yer not takin grandmas mugs, sellin em, and keepin the cash yerself.
That wouldn't be too nice.
Hep grandma sell those babies, you'll be her favorite!
and don't be so damn defensive. Geeeeeez

extra mai tais make me feisty, sorry.
welcome aboard.

L

Well through all my other diggings at my Grandmothers. I cant find anything else that I thought I remembered her having that was the Tiki theme. She did say that my aunt had been there in recent years and took some things. My Grandmother doesnt remember what all she even had, before she moved it.

I asked her if she cared to keep the mug or sell it on Ebay. She said "What is Ebay?". So after that explanation she told me that she didnt mind if we put it on Ebay. She was very surprised to here that it was worth anything. I told her that she probably had a house full of things that would sell on Ebay. So I think Im gonna show her how to do the Ebay thing and let her give it a try this weekend. I may have created a monster!!

L

Really appreciate all the help from you guys. Put my grandmothers mug on ebay today. Sorry its spread all over the page new at this selling stuff. If you want to go look at it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3918930942&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Chris

T

I thought I might amuse myself and become the hight bidder for about 5 seconds... hey! I beat out Edge of Texas! hahaha

Dang tikifish was that you I out bid?

Not that it matters I think I made it less than a minute myself.

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-06-28 04:50 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies