Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Retro Room

Pages: 1 17 replies

A

I recently put some new Bamboo flooring in. I got it from Judy down at Bamboo 2 U. it was my first time installing bamboo, it came out pretty good. I'm putting it down in the bar next, I'll post pics when I do. I repainted our guestroom and put all our retro stuff in there, Shelley calls it the swank tank.

The Bamboo Floor, It looks alot like Hardwood. I used the carbonized kind, it's longer wearing.

That our Chromecraft sofa, recognize your parents shelving.

Shelley made these cool Amoeba curtains, I got the Turquoise lamp at the Goodwill by the Bali-Hai

I dig this Hi-low and the lamp and the dial phone

That's Billy Muir's "Supersonic Guitars", he's playing Hukilau this year.

Ice crushers

Pink stuff!!!

Blue stuff!!!

Bar stuff!!!

Rabbit ears, 3 networks and 3 local stations was good enough for my Dad, it's good enough for me.

I got this cool table on Ebay. I went to pick it up in Mission Bay, the people lived in a total Tiki environment, they had mugs and everything. I told them about TC, are you guys still lurking out there?

I redid the Bath too

Mahalo,
Al

O

Wow, the floor looks great...and the retro stuff brings back some memories! keep up the good work ..Hope to see it in person one day! ps. still need to find out where you saw that traveler palm??

Looks great! I just recently had my wall 2 wall carpet ripped out and replaced it all with bamboo. I love it but found it to scratch pretty easy and be alittle slick though.
Aloha

Alnshely,
With all the great stuff to see in that room, the telephone was surprisingly my favorite piece. Does it have a modular RJ-11 plug, or did you wire up an old-style 4-prong plug?

Al & Shelley,
I like your style!
That looks like a fun place to live.
Hope to see you down south this summer.

Very cool digs, Alnshely!

http://www.samgambino.com

Al & Shelly,

Man your work looks great! Makes me jones to come down for a drink.

Jesus Marimba!

This is one of the coolest homes I have seen! I really like the shower curtains!!!

Nice stuff guys!! My house (with the exception of the Tiki lounge in the basement) is all 50's style....makes sense as it was built in 1956. Here's a shot of the living room right after I bought the house in 2001:

very VERY cool houses al and shelly...and mattfink! love the 50's atomic-age design. :)

al: how easy was it to install the bamboo? was it glue down, or nail down? we are getting the natural colored bamboo installed tomorrow. any tips on keeping it from scratching?

Great houses ...

AlnShelly - love the boomerang theme throughout the room ... the drapes are awesome. Where did you get the shower curtain?

Mattfink - you should post more pics!

Hey Al,

Long time, no Tiki.

That's beautiful, man! A great addition to an already amazing place. And I love the name, "Swank Tank."

Hugs to Shelly.

Aloha,

STEN

P.S. Mattfink, your place rocks too (in an Elvis era sort of way!)

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2004-06-21 12:51 ]

D

I'd call both those swingin' houses boomarangatoriums!

A

OnaTiki, I called Evergreen Nurseries and was told it was a triangle palm that I saw. Frank, the Manager, said it has a similar look. Evergreen Nurseries 760-754-0340

Tiki Rider, I'm surprised it is as fragile as it is. It looks great though.

Biotron2000, it had a 4 prong I wired a wall jack on the end of i,t and it plugs in that way. It came with a really long cord.

Unga Bunga, come on down any time

Sam Gambino, thanks Sam

Tiki_Bong and Tiki Mick, come on down I'll mix one

mattfink Awesome room dude!!!

tikicleen, I glued it, it went down real easy, but, I get a B- on my first install. I put felt sticky feet on all my furniture, try not to drop anything.

vwtikigirl, Bed Bath and Beyond. It was in the Beyond section

stentiki, Uncle Artie!!!! great to have you back

docwoods, and we're all Boomerangatangs

M

Thanks Al & gang...actually I should take the time to get new pics as the room looks a bit different than when those were taken.

Matt, Killer lounge. Let's see the rest of the place.

rockin regards

L
laney posted on Wed, Jun 23, 2004 7:01 PM

Hi Al, we never did get to talk palms. My parents have some beautiful mature triangle palms in their yard and they are one of my favorites. I've planted 2, lost one and the other seems very slow to take off (I planted these before I knew I had the fungus in the front yard)
Here's a link to a photo in an online palm gallery. They are three sided not flat like "traveler palms" (not a palm really)
I found mine amongst the Queen Palms mislabeled at a Home Depot (but I could easily tell what it was). I think this is pretty common as people often talk about finding more rare and expensive palms and cycads mislabeled at Home Depot on the Palm Society Board.
http://www.plantapalm.com/vpe/photos/Species/dypsis_decaryi.htm

Sorry, off topic, great rooms btw. Love the spaghetti lamp but only one, he's lonely :(

Alnshely........I......Like......It! Very boss. Yours too Mattfink.....

Pages: 1 17 replies