Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Some stuff from Da Show

Pages: 1 3 replies

Well, every year me and Mdm Bong wake up at 4:30 and head up to Da Show. I always say, well, I really don't need anything, we're just going to see old friends and catch up on the times.

This year was no different, stuff I'd never seen, never knew existed, and just HAD to have!

Matson cruise line flag and ashtray.

Black onyx tiki ashtray.

Vintage carved koa outrigger.

WWII Hotel Street hookers 'business' card. Her business name 'Lucky' is written at the top. (I wonder if she was?)

Metal tikis, including the world's smallest pewter tiki.

Circa WWII black negative picture on glass with foil backing. Note Navy destroyers in background.

Coco Joes keychain and the smallest CocoJoes menehune I've ever seen. It was made with lava, not just black resin. On the bottom is imprinted the familiar Cocojoes insignia.

This is a promo photo of my favorite steel guitar player - King Bennie Nawahi. On the back was stamped "Standard Entertainers Directory, 8820 Sunset Blvd".

King Bennie was a fantastic steel player with a lighting fast stuccato style. He also had an interesting history.

Born in Honolulu in 1899. As a youth, played for nickels and dimes in the park, contemporary of Sol Ho'opi'i who was doing the same thing. Played with older brother Joes' group on the liner S.S. Matsonia, then on Orphenum Vaudeville circuit, U.S. Mainland. He was a great showman, that would play 'Turkey in the Straw' on the steel guitar, with his feet!

He's known best for his recordings with The Red Devils, The Georgia Jumpers, and with his own group King Nawahi's Hawaiians. One of his first west coast groups, King Nawahi and the International Cowboys, included a young Roy Rodgers, not yet famous. He had a succesful musical career on the West coast, although suddenly sticken blind in 1935. He became a National hero when, in 1946, he swam the 26 mile channel between Santa Catalina Island and San Pedro in 22 hours, following a ringing bell.

The square box with the black tiki, with hula girl on forehead is a vintage portable bar. Has a battery pack and switch that makes the eyes and mouth light up red.

Bar interior. All original glass items intact, including glass stir stick.

See, had to have this stuff!

A

Wicked Cool!!!!
Mahalo,
Al

D

the portable bar is impressive!!

my uncle used to bring his "snake bite kit" to our house.. goofy kids that we were, didnt realize it was his booze kit!

great finds.. but ohhgads, up at 4:30..am?!

Hey Al!

I miss you bruddah.

Pages: 1 3 replies