Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tubing adventure on Kauai

Pages: 1 1 replies

M
Moki posted on Mon, Jun 21, 2004 1:21 AM

OnaTiki and I had a wonderful vacation on Kauai last month. One of our favorite new adventures was the Mountain Tubing with Kauai Backcountry Adventures. http://www.kauaibackcountry.com/

The guides were very informative and lots of fun. The first run of the day begins at 8:30am with three later runs. We were told that in June they were expanding to six runs a day to accomodate the increasing demand.

Our group of sixteen were outfitted with hard hats with lights, reef shoes and gloves and a very comfy, industrial tube.

We were loaded into a Swiss Army Jeep and taken on a 40 minute ride up Mount Waialeale. The guides told stories of the flora & fauna as well as who was farming what along the way.

The trip down is through the old irrigation ditches that once fed water to Lihue's old sugar cane plantation. These ditches were hand dug circa 1870. We went through four tunnels, the longest being 6/10ths of a mile. Our guides told us that when they dug that tunnel, 500 men were put on each side of the mountain and started digging. Unfortunately, they didn't quite meet in the middle. So they had to change directions which created a few sharp turns in the tunnel. Much fun!!

The ditch width varies and so does the depth. Most of the time you are bouncing off the sides and each other. Kinda like bumper boats.

All waiting to go....

Floating my way along.

OnaTiki & myself

After we finished tubing, we all loaded back into the jeep and were taken to a swimming hole for lunch. Sandwiches and juices, but it hit the spot.

All in all, it was about a four hour adventure. A little pricey at $80.00 per person, but so is everything else on the island. Well worth the time and the money! We highly recommend this.

If you are going....make reservations early, because they have had a waiting list that is sometimes a month long during the peak season.

Don't bother with the bug repellent (it'll just wash off) or the sunscreen (because you are in the tunnels a lot of the time)

Have fun!!

:drink:

[ Edited by: Moki on 2004-06-21 01:25 ]

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:29 ]

Pages: 1 1 replies