Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Newest Heather Watts painting named by Dr. Z (scroll down)

Pages: 1 30 replies

Just Released - http://www.theartdeck.com

Two new prints including my first ever limited edition. They're not available to the masses yet, but I'll be bringing a few to Portland this weekend for anybody that wants.

Those of you on my bi-montly mailing list, will also be able to advance order them beginning next week.

If you're not on the list & want to be, send me your name & email. The easiest way to subscribe is at this link (just scroll down the page):

http://www.TheArtDeck.com/Fun.htm

Enjoy the art!

"The Gracious Host" Acrylic on Panel by Heather Watts
Open Edition Print, $15

"The Tiger Cub" Acrylic on Panel by Heather Watts
Limited Edition Print, $25

Just a few words of explanation on "The Gracious Host" for anybody that's wondering why he's being so gracious... I mean, don't tigers eat monkeys?

Yes they do. Check out the titles on the cookbooks in the upper righthand corner
(note: these are a little hard to see in the digital image, but very visible/legible on the print)

Detail from "The Gracious Host"

See you in Portland! http://www.TheArtDeck.com

[ Edited by: Travellin' Tiki on 2004-06-21 12:54 ]

[ Edited by: Travellin' Tiki on 2004-06-21 14:30 ]

[ Edited by: Travellin' Tiki on 2004-06-24 18:01 ]

[ Edited by: Travellin' Tiki on 2004-06-24 18:12 ]

[ Edited by: Travellin' Tiki on 2004-06-24 22:31 ]

B

I Love it. Yes it seems you have a Dark sense of humor. You'll fit in nicely around here.

you can never go wrong with drunken monkeys. i know because i live with one.

we just got your "off easter island" print for scott's 30th birthday. we absolutely love it.

keep the tikis and monkeys coming!

:)

O

love the color/ mood your paintings have. the first one with the druken monkeys and tikis is cool. I also like the Buddiha print as well

D

monkey love!
i joined the mailing list, i wont be at the pnw crawl :cry: ~ i'll have to wait and order it the old fashioned way.

ooh and love your "build your own tiki" game. its perfect for those of us who cant draw! cute cute..

elicia

Very cool site, and playing build the Tiki is a whole lot of fun.

Just tried to order the 'After Dinner' print as it sums up my evenings, but you won't ship outside North America! Waaaah!!

Trader Woody

Never fear! If you live in the distant reaches of the universe (ie. outside North America) just email or pm me & something will be worked out.

Okay, this one's hot off the presses folks. Finished yesterday but I have to name it by tonight (it's going in a show this weekend.) I'm stumped. Any ideas?

L

On 2004-06-24 17:59, Travellin' Tiki wrote:
Okay, this one's hot off the presses folks. Finished yesterday but I have to name it by tonight (it's going in a show this weekend.) I'm stumped. Any ideas?

i would call it pirate's booty..
haha.

L

On 2004-06-24 18:05, lanikai wrote:

haha.

"Pirate's dilemma;
booty or beauty"

L

On 2004-06-24 18:52, lanikai wrote:

On 2004-06-24 18:05, lanikai wrote:

haha.

"Pirate's dilemma;
booty or beauty"

"Where's your buccaneers?"
"Under me bucanhat!"

L
laney posted on Thu, Jun 24, 2004 7:04 PM

How about simply "Hooked"

L

"Where's your buccaneers?"
"Under me bucanhat!"

"hook me up wit some fly blingbling!"

"Now, I want two things."

"The good, the bad and the tiki."

L

"The good, the bad and the tiki."

gets my vote!

• tiger by the tail
  • shivered timbers
  • pearl of peril/perilous pearls
  • the sword
  • under a crescent moon
  • the plunder
  • tiger tale

btw, have you ever heard of the pirate sandokan, the tiger of malaysia?

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-06-24 19:34 ]

O

i'v got a bone to pick with you

hook line and sinker

rubys are a pirate best friend

Hee hee. I love them! Still haven't decided, but these are great.

I love them all, but my favorites so far are "hooked""the sword" & "pirate's dilemma: beauty or booty" although I might just shorten it to "the dilemma" if I use it. I've also come up with one of my own--

"The sixty-four thousand dollar distraction"

--but I'm still not sure if I'll use that either. Although seeing as I thought of it myself, I think its pulling ahead in the running...

Any thoughts?

(ps. Haven't heard of the pirate sandokan, the tiger of malaysia but I'd like to know more & I'll look it up when I get around to it. Always looking for things to inspire me.)

L

my favorite "pirate's dilemma: beauty or booty" although I might just shorten it to "the dilemma" if I use it. I've also come up with one of my own--

"The sixty-four thousand dollar distraction"

--but I'm still not sure if I'll use that either. Although seeing as I thought of it myself, I think its pulling ahead in the running...

Any thoughts?

(ps. Haven't heard of the pirate sandokan, the tiger of malaysia but I'd like to know more & I'll look it up when I get around to it. Always looking for things to inspire me.)

is the tiger from india? then it could be

"the dalai lama dilemma"
haaa.

since the pirate is obvious, shortening is a remedy;
"dilemma; beauty or booty"

and ya wanna have a title thats fun to say.
can you imagine a couple of wealthy art patrons sitting around in the oak panelled ol boys club:

"hey dude. ya gotta swing ovah to my crib and check out my new aquisition.... Dude!"

"yea dude?! Whuzzit called?!"

" Dillemma; beauty or booty"

"wow. righteously wicked bitchin! cant wait. ... dude"

http://www.affichescinema.com/insc_s/sandokan_borneo.jpg

( the dollar amount title almost takes it away from a fantasy realm and brings it to modern times. One thinks instantly of that old game show as well as that modern colloquialism title is taken from )

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-06-24 21:29 ]

Well put & duly noted. Been thinking about the dilemma thing. I love the title, but to me the painting's more about how he's become distracted & she's about to hack his head off. Leaning back towards "Hooked" or how about "The curse of the Ruby","The Ruby's curse" or just "Ruby's curse"?

http://www.TheArtDeck.com (dont forget the "the")

[ Edited by: Travellin' Tiki on 2004-06-24 21:55 ]

L

On 2004-06-24 21:51, Travellin' Tiki wrote:
Duly noted. I've got another two hours or so to do this still. How about "The curse of the Ruby","The Ruby's curse" or just "Ruby's curse"?

I dunno...
is ruby the gal in da pic?
will she curse Tony if he steals da gem?
but seriously...
curse sounds un naturally foreboding for such a ...well, to me; comfortable lighthearted whimsical scene ... but I'm anal-izing it too much arent't I...

L

On 2004-06-24 21:51, Travellin' Tiki wrote:
Well put & duly noted. Been thinking about the dilemma thing. I love the title, but to me the painting's more about how he's become distracted & she's about to hack his head off.

duuuh. I just now noticed the sword in the left of pic.
She may get in a slightly solid whack with that cross handle fencing sword, but she may be worse for wear as he will get a good "left hook" in there...
(smug austin powers look)

hey; was it intentional that; that sword is related to a sabre and that tiger is related to...

naaahhh!

malama ki'i kahiko

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-06-24 22:09 ]

Yeah. I think 'Ruby' is the girl in the pick. Although maybe that's just what "Tony" calls her. Actually the pirate's name is "Jack" :) ("Jack & Ruby")

Your right about the forboding part. There's a dark undertone to the pic, but the fantasy/whimsical thing is definitely there too, and I probably shouldn't draw away from that with a title that's too dark.

Okay, stumped again... Maybe I just need an adjective. "The ___________ Distraction" or "A ____________ distraction"

L

Yeah. I think 'Ruby' is the girl in the pick. Although maybe that's just what "Tony" calls her. Actually the pirate's name is "Jack" :) ("Jack & Ruby")

...& Lee & Harvey & Oswald ...

sorry..

Okay, stumped again... Maybe I just need an adjective. "The ___________ Distraction" or "A ____________ distraction"

blinded by distraction
distraction attraction
attraction/distraction/infliction

DZ

A Timely Distraction

A Momentary Distraction

Momentarily Distracted...

L

and hey; if ruby gets a whack in there towards his right hand, then HE will be.. "stumped again..."
huuuhhhuuu

DZ

A Shiny Object

L

On 2004-06-24 22:19, Doctor Z wrote:
A Timely Distraction

A Momentary Distraction

Momentarily Distracted...

but if the ruby's worth 64 thousand, it would be..
a monetary distraction.

Doctor Z. You rule the universe. That's it! "A timely Distraction" it is. Thank you! That is exactly what it was meant to be called. I just didn't know it.

Lanikai, you also rule the universe. Although I won't be using your suggestions, they fued the fires for others to contribute & you get a million points for effort, so thanks! :)

Thanks for everybody's two cents & suggestions. The title is perrrrfect.

L

On 2004-06-24 22:28, Travellin' Tiki wrote:
Doctor Z. You rule the universe. That's it! "A timely Distraction" it is. Thank you! That is exactly what it was meant to be called. I just didn't know it.

Lanikai, you also rule the universe. Although I won't be using your suggestions, they fued the fires for others to contribute & you get a million points for effort, so thanks! :)

Thanks for everybody's two cents & suggestions. The title is perrrrfect.

Ya dont mess with the Doc!
heals all dilemmas a to z!

DZ

Glad I could help! :)

Pages: 1 30 replies