Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

"Hot Rod" Shrunken Head Painting...

Pages: 1 19 replies

I guess this should actually be posted here in "Beyond Tiki" - my gold leaf painting based in part on the fine Ben Davis shrunken head carving #31. I tried to add yet more "UGLY" to him...

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-06-22 08:50 ]

Fine job Sam. I think you used just the right amount of ugly (haha). How bigga boy is he? What are the dimensions and the media? Black velvet would definately be da kine.

L

On 2004-06-21 16:52, Sam Gambino wrote:
I guess this should actually be posted here in "Beyond Tiki" - my gold leaf painting based in part on the fine Ben Davis shrunken head carving

dass da bomb!

instead o da vondutch pinstripe, I could see a cool jungle motif border;
simple scratchy primitive kine outline representations of crossed spears, skulls, shields, etc..

malama ki'i kahiko

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-06-22 02:19 ]

Thanks, Shipwreckjoey and lanikai. As any respectable pinstriper would use, it's 1-Shot enamel and 22 carat gold leaf on stretched canvas, 11"x14". :) Lanikai, that border sounds like a great idea. I'll have to work that in to another painting. Thanks!

i like it like it is.....pinstripe on the ride and a shrunken head hanging from the rear view mirror......uh huh....very nice Sam....

L

On 2004-06-22 07:25, Sam Gambino wrote:
Thanks, Shipwreckjoey and lanikai. As any respectable pinstriper would use, it's 1-Shot enamel and 22 carat gold leaf on stretched canvas, 11"x14". :) Lanikai, that border sounds like a great idea. I'll have to work that in to another painting. Thanks!

although I am not at all; one to slag pinstripe; Von Dutch is one I am very intrigued with and admire. a friend of mine in cali has many of his originals and had mannnyyyy great stories of da old days; fer example, von dutch, Ed Roth as well as Steve McQueen usta hang wit da bruddah back in da day. Dis guy get planny robt williams originals too; I saw them and they are incredible!

heard amazing anectdotes and great stories about the days b4 they hit it big time...

Thanks a bunch, bongofury. That's exactly the effect I was shooting for - the Shrunken Head as it relates to the Hot Rod or Kustom.

Hey lanikai, that's interesting stuff. I'd love to sit down and hear some of those stories sometime! Now, I just have to find my way to Hawaii... :)

L

On 2004-06-23 22:22, Sam Gambino wrote:
Thanks a bunch, bongofury. That's exactly the effect I was shooting for - the Shrunken Head as it relates to the Hot Rod or Kustom.

Hey lanikai, that's interesting stuff. I'd love to sit down and hear some of those stories sometime! Now, I just have to find my way to Hawaii... :)

anytime at la mariana!

....usta see Steve McQueen riding his Indian motorcycle with Ali, sidesaddle at, appropriately enuff; Indian Dunes fo da races,
back small keed time, when I usta go with my Makuakane.

That is something to have seen, lanikai! There aren't really many actors like him anymore. I just saw "Papillon" again a few weeks ago. It's one of those movies that I end up watching again everytime I notice it on TV.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-06-23 22:42 ]

L

On 2004-06-23 22:40, Sam Gambino wrote:
That is something to have seen, lanikai! There aren't really many actors like him anymore. I just saw "Papillon" again a few weeks ago. It's one of those movies that I end up watching again everytime I notice it on TV.

mee too. in fak, any McQueen movie...

seen dabounty hunter one? it was playing many times over and over on I think TBS about a year ago and watched each and every one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080907/

that character; Papa Thorson... thats how he was. casual and no cares. jez do the job his way no matter what. no bs.
his own man.

a chick give him heat, he sez "fukdatnoize, jack, I'm goin' drinkin wit da boyz."

He was one of a kind - and there aren't many movies that are good enough to watch over and over. "The Bounty Hunter" was a classic. Of course "Bullet" goes without saying.

L

On 2004-06-24 00:10, Sam Gambino wrote:
He was one of a kind - and there aren't many movies that are good enough to watch over and over. "The Bounty Hunter" was a classic. Of course "Bullet" goes without saying.

yesh. never tire of that one too.

btw; yer riverdance panel is my fave.
very clever; gary larson's sitting at home thinkin "wish i thoughta that!"

Thanks a lot, lanikai. Every time I saw them "stomping" on TV, I couldn't help but think of cockroaches and other pests!

L

On 2004-06-24 07:09, Sam Gambino wrote:
Thanks a lot, lanikai. Every time I saw them "stomping" on TV, I couldn't help but think of cockroaches and other pests!

reminds me; here on Oahu, da buggahs real tough and akamai;
they diffuse the roach bombs.

when you stomp them, they know you are waiting to hear a snap sound. (their shell breaking, killing them)
sooo...when they are under yer foot, they snap their fingers. really! ... you lift yer foot, only to see them run away unscathed.

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-06-26 00:36 ]

My goodness, lanikai, if they're that smart on Oahu, maybe maybe someone should train them to do bookkeeping and accounting! You know, put them to good use! :)

B

Hell, teach 'em how to carve tikis. Free Labor.

L

On 2004-06-26 07:41, Benzart wrote:
Hell, teach 'em how to carve tikis. Free Labor.

they eat thru anything; maybe can direct their path of destruction via honey or sumpin to make da design.....hmmmm could be...

My wahine tells me scary stories of the roaches on Oahu. She says "I jus take off my slippah & smack em". She told me they even eat through tupperware! She can't watch the movie "Joe's Apartment". Also not too fond of centipedes. They got a stinger on both ends and worse than a jellyfish sting.

L

On 2004-06-26 13:29, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
My wahine tells me scary stories of the roaches on Oahu. She says "I jus take off my slippah & smack em". She told me they even eat through tupperware! She can't watch the movie "Joe's Apartment". Also not too fond of centipedes. They got a stinger on both ends and worse than a jellyfish sting.

can't watch joes apt either; Don Ho tries to act! accch!

and you are right da cock a roaches eat through styrofoam ice chests, tupperware, wood, cardboard; hell; they are found inside refrigerators and microwave ovens enjoying a fruitful life! asswhyhahd eh!
da bugghas been here since dinosaur era and will prolly outlive US!

• Yep, cockroaches and Keith Richards. They're all that will be left when it's all over!

Pages: 1 19 replies