Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki mug design ideas....what 's yours?

Pages: 1 38 replies

If you could design any tiki mug, what would it look like? Or, do you have an idea for Munktiki, Bosko, Tiki Farm, Tiki Diablo, etc.?

I personally think it would be cool if Munktiki made a skull mug that was bright glossy red and had devil horns (kind of like Bones but instead of bones there were horns, it could be names Horns!). I really had to brainstorm for that name.

A shrunken head with hair would be cool, or a tiki in a hot rod.

M

Kinda like Politiki, where they make tiki mugs that looked like presidents. I would love to see jazz and swanky personality mugs. Like a Sinatra tiki, Miles Davis tiki, you know, stuff like that. I also love the idea of tiki mugs with extra pockets to put dry ice in. I've seen them in that expensive Spanish mug that was auctioned off on ebay recently. It lets your drink really take on a theatrical aspect. More scorpion & volcano bowls too...nobody seems to be working in that area of tiki mugdom.

My favorite style of mug is the Peanut. Damn face cracks me up everytime. I kinda wish someone would do a new version of that.

How about instead of "Horns" it could be called "Horney Bastard". I like that name better. :)

I would like to volcano bowl where the part that holds the 151 rum can be removed to become a shot glass, and at the bottom have tiki totum poles holding up the bowl as a stand where the bowl itself can be removed. oh well....too many pieces to loose or break....nice thinkin tbrid!

I am contemplating a mug design that will look like my logo. What type of clay do I use to create a master?

On 2004-06-22 10:25, Monkeyman wrote:
I am contemplating a mug design that will look like my logo. What type of clay do I use to create a master?

Real tassle on the fez?

I'd like a Tangaroa mug like my logo, might go through a fair few drinks and end up with a pretty wet lap though.

On 2004-06-22 10:39, cheekytiki wrote:
I'd like a Tangaroa mug like my logo, might go through a fair few drinks and end up with a pretty wet lap though.

Apart from the hole at the front is there a mug in existance like that already?

hey monkeyman, this is purely guessing but couldn't you create a prototype out of plasticine and then make a vinyl mold over it with plaster back up, kind of like to create resin cold casts? then you ought to be able to make a cast with clay within it. but please verify this with folks who have actually made mugs with molds ~ my experience is with resin casting and lost-wax process metal casting.

Atomicchick,

Funny you should mention a bones like skull with horns. Have you been sneaking around our studio at night? Yah I got one coming out in a bout a month, Made it last year but have not got around to release it. Not a straw sipper this time.

To cast ceramics the mold needs to be plaster to absord the water content in the slip, leaving a thin shell of clay when you dump it out.

-stuckie

I am in the final stages of developing a mug that never gets empty.
As soon as I get my medical report about my liver, I shall inform you all if I have the time required time to finish it.

I am contemplating a mug design that will look like my logo.

You mean, like this one?

No Pop,

It would look less like a Monkey and more like a tiki (similar to my logo). I did see that mug that Crazy Al had on display at the oasis. Very cool.

I am thinking that my mug will look somewhat like the black meihana mug that the farm recently created. The facial features will stick out away from a cylinder. The fez will be a raised lip in the front with an opening in the back. The tassle will be tied on through a hole in the fez. It would be great if the ears could really stick out from the sides.

One glaze color that I don't see very often is red. It would be really cool to have it a rich dark red. The tassle could be gold or black.

On 2004-06-22 13:50, Monkeyman wrote:
It would look less like a Monkey and more like a tiki (similar to my logo).

Sweet!

I always wanted one of the feathered god in King Kamehameha's hand in a red glaze, but how would you render the pompador do?

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:38 ]

T

Here is a part of the mail I sent to Holden......."Anyways, hey I have what I believe could be a killer mug idea, well at least I THINK it would, so I come to you O' Rock Star of Mugs for your opinion, ready "FEZ MONKEY MUG" tell me it would not be cool, or tell me it would not?"

and Holdens reply "Fez Monkey Mug is... coming this summer! I kid you not!!! He's already sculpted & I received my 1st glazed samples last week. No BS - absolute truth!"
Needless to say I was somewhat crushed, but what are you to do.
Would love to see Tiki Diablo do a monsta size mug "TIKI KONG MUG" holding about 30oz. but this monkey would not have a fez, too bad of a dude for that. But somehow I would love to have a artist challenge get Stuckie, Pizz, Squid, Shag and others to do a Fez Monkey Mug series, imagine the variety in styles but doing the same theme.

TB

On 2004-06-22 14:10, TNTiki wrote:

I am no expert but the reason we do not see much "red" is because it is difficult to do and more expensive.

I seem to remember Holden saying the red glaze was difficult on the wahaku warrior mug.

It's difficult to do red (and sometimes orange) glazes and get them right. I believe that red glazes must be fired at a different temperature than the other colors. In my experience (8th grade ceramics class) anything I tried to glaze in red ended up brown or clear.

Oh lord, the old red/ orange problem again.

Here are the following ways they can be produced:
Cadmium, Lead+chrome, uranium, copper (under the right conditions.)

The first three will mess you up good! The latter is difficult and tempermental. For earthenware (eg. much, but not all, cast barware) there exist some pretty reliable commercial cadmium glazes which won't kill you. At porcelain (diinerware, whiteware, stoneware) temperatures, you can forget it. At least for the red. You can get purpleish red, or orangeish red without doing the copper thing I mentioned. However, a certain company has just developed a new fire-engine-red high temp glaze which is supposed to be non-toxic. I'd be interested to try it out, but it's not yet on the market.

I have been working on a glow-in-the-dark glaze, and have faith that it will soon be working well. Any thoughts on that? You could find your drink if the lights went out...

By the way, what is everyone's thoughts on tiki sake bottles/ cups? how about Teapots? What other sort of useful kitchen things are sorely missing in the tiki world?

I'm a little iffy on the sake thing but wanted other opinions....

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:39 ]

N

Stuckie, I cant wait to see the new mug you have lined up.

W

I'd make a clear glass mug with an Angry Tiki face on one side and a Happy Tiki face on the other. God, that would be SO cool.

Pirate Tiki! I'd buy it! (Hell...I'd design it!)

Kon-Hemsby wrote:
A shrunken head with hair would be cool, or a tiki in a hot rod.

mriddle wrote:
I would love to see jazz and swanky personality mugs....I also love the idea of tiki mugs with extra pockets to put dry ice in....It lets your drink really take on a theatrical aspect. More scorpion & volcano bowls too...nobody seems to be working in that area of tiki mugdom.

Tiki Bird wrote:
I would like to volcano bowl where the part that holds the 151 rum can be removed to become a shot glass, and at the bottom have tiki totum poles holding up the bowl as a stand where the bowl itself can be removed..

naugatiki wrote:
I always wanted one of the feathered god in King Kamehameha's hand in a red glaze, but how would you render the pompador do?

Saint-Thomas wrote:
By the way, what is everyone's thoughts on tiki sake bottles/ cups? how about Teapots? What other sort of useful kitchen things are sorely missing in the tiki world?

Holy Moly People!

We have so many things in the works it's mind boggling! It's great to see the suggestions here since it coincides with projects that have already been under way and in development!

OOPS! Did I say too much??? :wink:

V

I'd like to see a neo-Paul Gauguin Self-Portrait mug.

D

How about a mug shaped like a little tiki bar?

How about a mug shaped like a little tiki bar?

How bout a tiki bar shaped like a mug?

[ Edited by: cheekytiki on 2004-06-23 06:36 ]

I'd like a semi- spherical or globelike smaller neo-marquesan, like a cross between Munktiki's Stuckie Skull & Basement Kahuna's Marquesans. I just like the idea for some reason

I thought of another one: A Cannibal mug "eating" a Tiki shot mug.

Bosko did that one, it is part of the Cannibal Trio.

On 2004-06-22 10:47, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

On 2004-06-22 10:39, cheekytiki wrote:

Apart from the hole at the front is there a mug in existance like that already?

They have them in Spain (bottom left):

Tiki Farm also does one in it's 4-pack of economy mugs, as well as their Mai Kai decanter. Perhaps they missed a 'golden' opportunity to alter the position of the cork....

Trader Woody

Hey Trader Woody, those are some pretty neato mugs you have there!

I was holding onto a pufferfish mug idea for too long,I guess, because Munktiki just came out with one.

How about a cannibal stewpot mug?

I have a design which I've carved as a palmwood tiki, but Holden and Paul are too busy.
Anybody know of other mug makers on the west side?

T

How about a MOAI KAVAKAVA mug?

Pages: 1 38 replies