Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents Tiki Taix V on June 25th!

Pages: 1 27 replies

Tiki Taix V!! The summer is here! Let the luau begin!!

Friday June 25th, 2004 and every last Friday of the Month 10PM No
Cover

King Kukulele will perform track 7 by request: “Hawaiian Butterfly” among others: “When I’m Alone” and the live version of “House of Bamboo” !!! King Kukulele, Master of the Chinese Flying Ukulele will play his heart out until every last one of you is happy.

AND!

Another amazing surprise from the world of Miehana’s Musical Mele! Perhaps this month Miehana will take us on a trek to the anthropological musicalogical roots of our beloved “Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room Song”...perhaps! What you don’t know may shock you!!

ALSO!!

Take a tour with the King through Belgium’s own ultimate Tiki Bar “The Tikis” in Gierle, Belgium. This deluxe Tiki Bar designed by Josh Collins (designer of “South London Pacific”) opened early this millenium and lasted only a few years before falling into the evil clutches of the anti-groove. Here you will see the magnificent bar, the magnificenter stage, and the magnificentest wall of fame in the green room which shows remnants of several Otto Von Stroheim productions.

PLUS!

On February 3rd, 1961 Mrs. E.G Barber (nicknamed Marty) and her friend Mrs. B.E. McDougall boarded the S.S. Oriana in Vancouver Canada, bound for Honolulu. While out at sea, they were invited to celebrate the birth of Katherine Mellard, she was born on February 9th, 1861 and was turning 100. Katherine took Marty and her friend B.E. back a 100 years to the mid 1800’s. Now Marty will take you back nearly half a century to WaiKiKi with her immense scrapbook. This time capsule is took huge to see in one night...so lets just take a peek. We have Marty’s souvineers from Martin Denny, Webley Edwards, and Walt Disney. -----1961!

AND!

Rodd Grogg reporting live via Tiki Satellite from...who knows where our drifting reporter will end up!!

ALSO!

Here comes EXOTICA KARAOKE!!!!!

PLUS!

Our monthly installment of “Mai-TaiKus”.

Join us for this one night only night one time. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

While you're in such a musically generous mood, could you add "Singing Bamboo" to the list? Awwww, pwitty pweeze...

Nah. It's too sappy. Fergit it.

Anythings possible. Singing Bamboo is a great song. We haven't done it in a while but maybe that would be a great reason to bring it to Tiki Taix...thanks for the request.

What's EXOTICA KARAOKE??????

...you're welcome, sir. So kind of you to express appreciation for the request.

Hanohano Hanalei?

Tiki Tarmu?

What is Exotica Karaoke? Come on, isn't that obvious? Its where the audience gets to get into the act! Its karaoke without the Barry Manilo! No Britney Spears! The only songs aloud in the Exotica Karaoke catalogue will be from the likes of Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman. Come on give it a try.

I'm game - you bringing lyric sheets for Hawaii 5-0?

L

On 2004-06-23 02:55, Futura Girl wrote:
What's EXOTICA KARAOKE??????

that would be:

Dick Cheese and his Lounge against the machine!

http://www.ideatown.com/rc/

L

On 2004-06-22 05:25, KING KUKULELE wrote:
Tiki Taix V!! The summer is here! Let the luau begin!!

Friday June 25th, 2004 and every last Friday of the Month 10PM No
Cover

King Kukulele will perform the live version of “House of Bamboo” !!!

and that was a good movie, too!

That would be: Will Ferrel and Sherry O'Teri on SNL...oh no, that would be Bill Murray on SNL...oh no that would be Mrs. Miller in the 60's....that would be......

HAWAII 5-0?!?!?! I don't know if I have it!

dude - that's an exotica classic!

"if you're feeling lonely - you can call on me...."

That ought to be interesting. Besides "Hawaii 5-0" and "Quiet Village", how many actually have lyrics? They mostly seem to have been presented instrumentally. Oh yeah, there's "Similau"!

(actually, that "Similau" has a profound lack of lyrics except of course the word "Similau", was pointed out earlier by Humuhumu in an offline discussion about the concept of Exotica karaoke and in the interest of full disclosure I bring that forth here)

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-06-25 16:07 ]

A

Don't need any lyrics to do karaoke bird calls!

-Randy

Hey AquaRJ you got a good point there. Exotica Karaoke has a great "Plan B", just stick to the birdcalls. I'm still looking for the Hawaii 5-0 lyric sheets...there's still time.

See you learn something new everyday on TC! I always thought the lyrics to Hawaii 5-0 were Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Naaaaa, Na, Na, Na, Na, Naaaa. :D

[ Edited by: dawntiki on 2004-06-25 11:19 ]

Na ah they're naat. Although I'm not sure about this, I think Don Ho made up lyrics to an already popular TV theme....I think that's how it went.

Two words:

Monkey. Noises.

I found these on a Hawaii 5-0 site could this be the lyrics your looking for? If this is what your looking for I hope by me posting this isn't blowing anything you have planned for tonight.

These are the lyrics to the Five-0 theme song, as sung by Don Ho.
The song starts out with the usual pounding theme,
then it slows down to a slow ballad tempo.

If you're feelin' lonely
You can come with me
Feel my arms around you
Lay beside the seaaaaaa
We will think of somethin' to do
Do it til it's perfect for you
And for me too
You can come with meeeee.

So leave your world behind you
You can come with me
Sing a song I'll teach you
Live your fantasyyyyyyy
Love ya in a natural way
Doesn't matter what time of day
You and I play
You can come with meeeee

Won'tcha come with meeee

You can come with meeee.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-06-25 11:10 ]

Hey, who needs the lyrics - invent them.

Exotica Freestyle.

Mahaaaaaaaalo! DawnTiki thats supercool. Thanks for the lyrics, now we just need to see if there is a brave soul in the audience of Tiki Taix to take it on. Don Ho is a hard act to follow.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:34 ]

Thanks TNTiki!!

I'd like to thank King Kukulele for providing the entertainment and pulling through with the event, eventhough there were a lot of performers that could not show up due to various reasons.
Special thanks to Floratina for her garcious hospitality (especialy considering that her 2 house guests were unplanned)

Mahalo,
Ran

Wow! When it comes to Tiki Taix V, all I can say is... I can't wait until Tiki Taix VI!

Here are my pictures:

The always fabulous Tina Tina Floratina

You have to love a woman who brings her own palm tree to an event

Mogambo talks to Steve in the background, as kick_the_reverb chats with floratina in the foreground

The King gets kids from the audience up on stage all the time, but this kid was an act unto himself--the duet version of Superchicken was unsurpassable

The gleaming drums of CB Howlie

The King's new corncob pipe

Someone needs to do a black velvet rendering of the other King

Crazy Al & his tiki

More moodily-lit King

More of C'Al with his tiki, only now it's on FIRE!

Crazy Al's flaming tiki

Crazy Al mugs with his tiki

The best seat in the house, next to the tiki AND the fireplace!

Mahalo nui loa for keeping tiki alive in Echo Park, King Kukulele!

More pictures here

CA

thanks again Humu for the great pics!!

This fire'y guy with Humuhumu is CrazyAL Tiki#11 "Tiki Lantern". It was carved for one of the first tiki shows back in 1998. Also this was the first tiki I put Tapa design in the mouth area. Thank God it didn't sell. I've enjoyed the heck out of this guy.

If any are interested: this tiki has been beautifully illustrated by TC's own Sam Gambino

and is now available as a 'mouse pad' for $9. So far i've only made 50 of these.

add $2 shipping... send check to
Crazy Al's Bone Productions
P.O. Box 553
Sunset Beach, CA 90742

Paypal a total of $11.50 to [email protected]

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2004-07-01 02:57 ]

great pics! I have got to make the next one! Well, I'm starting a new gig in Hollywood, so I'll now be back in the neighborhood on King Kuke nights! C' Al, that is one of my favorite tikis around....it's more like a member of the family now?

Thanks, Al. I had excellent tiki subject matter to work with!

http://www.samgambino.com

Pages: 1 27 replies